Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Slowing the visa process down

Slowing the visa process down

Old Dec 2nd 2015, 4:17 pm
Forum Regular

chesterton_fan has a reputation beyond reputechesterton_fan has a reputation beyond reputechesterton_fan has a reputation beyond reputechesterton_fan has a reputation beyond reputechesterton_fan has a reputation beyond reputechesterton_fan has a reputation beyond reputechesterton_fan has a reputation beyond reputechesterton_fan has a reputation beyond reputechesterton_fan has a reputation beyond reputechesterton_fan has a reputation beyond reputechesterton_fan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Slowing the visa process down

Hello,

I am currently going through the process for an IR-1 visa. My wife (dual citizen) and I are thinking about delaying our move to the US until January 2017.

I have already submitted the I-130, and I received my LND case number from the London embassy in July. I have filled out the DS-260, but have not signed it, nor have I had any other correspondence with the Embassy.

I understand they will wait a year from last contact until closing a case.

My plan would be to sign and submit the DS-260 in May 2016 (allowing two months' breathing space if something went wrong before the year was up). Then I would book a medical for say August 2016, an interview ASAP after that, and then fly in January 2017.
Would this work?

Do I need to tell the embassy that they won't be hearing from me again until May?

Many thanks – and I know many of you who are trying to get to the US by yesterday will think I'm nuts!

CF
Old Dec 2nd 2015, 4:22 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Slowing the visa process down

Originally Posted by chesterton_fan
Would this work?
Yes, it should.

Do I need to tell the embassy that they won't be hearing from me again until May?
You don't need to, but it'd be a courtesy to do so.

Ian
Old Jan 25th 2016, 1:58 pm
Forum Regular

chesterton_fan has a reputation beyond reputechesterton_fan has a reputation beyond reputechesterton_fan has a reputation beyond reputechesterton_fan has a reputation beyond reputechesterton_fan has a reputation beyond reputechesterton_fan has a reputation beyond reputechesterton_fan has a reputation beyond reputechesterton_fan has a reputation beyond reputechesterton_fan has a reputation beyond reputechesterton_fan has a reputation beyond reputechesterton_fan has a reputation beyond repute

Belated thanks for this. Sorry, one further question: the OMB information in the top-right hand of the DS-260 has an expiry date of 31 Jan 2016. Does this deadline apply to my completing the form in any way?

Thanks,
CF
Old Jan 25th 2016, 3:03 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chesterton_fan
Does this deadline apply to my completing the form in any way?
No - that represents the expiry of the form itself... nothing to do with the information you might provide on that form. By the time you complete the form in May there very well could be a newer version available.

Ian
Old Jan 27th 2016, 3:51 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Ian.

CF