Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Slightly new twist on I-751...

Wikiposts

Slightly new twist on I-751...

Old Jan 10th 2009, 5:36 am
Forum Regular

Extreme is a name known to allExtreme is a name known to allExtreme is a name known to allExtreme is a name known to allExtreme is a name known to allExtreme is a name known to allExtreme is a name known to allExtreme is a name known to allExtreme is a name known to allExtreme is a name known to allExtreme is a name known to all
Default Slightly new twist on I-751...

Hi,
I am a somewhat passive member of BritishExpats. I have had an account for quite some time and I read the posts on almost a daily basis, but I feel like I rarely have anything to contribute with . Everything good and important have already been said when I come around . I do admire the people that have the patience and time to answer very similar questions over and over again.

Anyways, I'm due for I-751 and I have (I think) a slightly new twist.
My USC wife and I just are in the process of buying a condo we are closing in a week or so. I've been holding of on sending the I-751, because I don't want to do an address change mid-process. I'm still well within the timeline and I am aware of the AR-11.

So the situation is that I as a GC holder will be the only one on the mortgage and on the title. Since my wife is a student she wouldn't have qualified for the loan and therefore I will also be the only one on the title.
I've been told that this is the way to do it.

I would like any ideas on how to explain this situation to USCIS. This is the only weak point in our application. We have the old rent lease, health, bank statements, pictures etc to support it. My plan right now is to write a cover letter to explain it, but maybe there is a better way that I'm missing.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. If anything is unclear please ask away.

Thank you!
Johan
Old Jan 10th 2009, 5:38 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Slightly new twist on I-751...

Originally Posted by Extreme
Hi,
I am a somewhat passive member of BritishExpats. I have had an account for quite some time and I read the posts on almost a daily basis, but I feel like I rarely have anything to contribute with . Everything good and important have already been said when I come around . I do admire the people that have the patience and time to answer very similar questions over and over again.

Anyways, I'm due for I-751 and I have (I think) a slightly new twist.
My USC wife and I just are in the process of buying a condo we are closing in a week or so. I've been holding of on sending the I-751, because I don't want to do an address change mid-process. I'm still well within the timeline and I am aware of the AR-11.

So the situation is that I as a GC holder will be the only one on the mortgage and on the title. Since my wife is a student she wouldn't have qualified for the loan and therefore I will also be the only one on the title.

I would like any ideas on how to explain this situation to USCIS. This is the only weak point in our application. We have the old rent lease, health, bank statements, pictures etc to support it. My plan right now is to write a cover letter to explain it, but maybe there is a better way that I'm missing.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. If anything is unclear please ask away.

Thank you!
Johan
Put her name on a few uitlity bills ..but its not a great problem ..
Old Jan 10th 2009, 5:42 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I'm the only one on the loan documents. I added my husband to the title via deed poll.

It would have cost too much to add him to the loan, but he owns half this house legally, with me.
Old Jan 10th 2009, 5:44 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

I would just explain it to them like you explained it to us. It's not that unusual. Even though SWMBO is the USC, I'm the only one on the mortgage, utilities etc.

Anyway, as Mo alludes to, it's often academic if you're living in a community property state.
Old Jan 10th 2009, 6:18 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

What's to explain? It's not a requirement to have a joint mortgage at all. Send in all your other joint evidence and don't worry about it. Lots of people don't have joint rent, lease, or mortgage.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Jan 13th 2009, 3:10 am
Forum Regular

AAZZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Stop worrying.

I just graduated when I applied for AOS, and at that time wife being the rich person, Nothing was in my name. Since I got a job, my wife became a perpetual student, I never had her name on ANY thing (well she wasn't paying for any thing).

It never caused a problem with USCIS. We just explained our situation, and they were alright.. may be we were lucky.. But it boggles my mind whether USICS should be concerned about/satisfied with "who pays the $200 electric bill" if the couple makes 6 figures.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 3:25 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AAZZ
Stop worrying.

I just graduated when I applied for AOS, and at that time wife being the rich person, Nothing was in my name. Since I got a job, my wife became a perpetual student, I never had her name on ANY thing (well she wasn't paying for any thing).

It never caused a problem with USCIS. We just explained our situation, and they were alright.. may be we were lucky.. But it boggles my mind whether USICS should be concerned about/satisfied with "who pays the $200 electric bill" if the couple makes 6 figures.
USCIS isn't concerned about who pays the bills. They are just looking for proof that you have a joint life together, that you live at the same address together, that you have co-mingled your lives together. One way of showing that is to have both names on the utility bills, for example. Another way is to have both names on a bank account. They don't care whose pocket the money comes out of.

Rene
Old Jan 19th 2009, 5:01 am
Forum Regular

Extreme is a name known to allExtreme is a name known to allExtreme is a name known to allExtreme is a name known to allExtreme is a name known to allExtreme is a name known to allExtreme is a name known to allExtreme is a name known to allExtreme is a name known to allExtreme is a name known to allExtreme is a name known to all

Thank you for all your replies! The packet has been sent off.

As a reference, I got to say that USCIS will never be as stressful to work with as a seller's Short Sale bank in this housing market. That was a pain!!

On a different note, this is something I have thought of, but never seen being discussed on BE. Wouldn't it be great if the lifting of conditions could happen at the same time as you naturalize? Meaning that either extend the conditional period to three years or shorten the time for naturalization to two years. Either way that would save alot of paperwork etc. Relieving USCIS quite a bit. Of course you would still have the option to get at new GC instead of naturalize if you want to, I don't want to force anyone into naturalization.

Thanks again!
Old Jan 19th 2009, 6:59 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for all your replies! The packet has been sent off.

As a reference, I got to say that USCIS will never be as stressful to work with as a seller's Short Sale bank in this housing market. That was a pain!!

On a different note, this is something I have thought of, but never seen being discussed on BE. Wouldn't it be great if the lifting of conditions could happen at the same time as you naturalize? Meaning that either extend the conditional period to three years or shorten the time for naturalization to two years. Either way that would save alot of paperwork etc. Relieving USCIS quite a bit. Of course you would still have the option to get at new GC instead of naturalize if you want to, I don't want to force anyone into naturalization.

Thanks again!
Actually if your I-751 is not adjudicated by the time you have your naturalization interview it is done at the same time by the adjudication N-400 officer. As long as your original file is present and the I-751 documents they can do both right then and there.