Reload this Page >

A simple walk-through about the K1 visa

Wikiposts

A simple walk-through about the K1 visa

Old Aug 5th 2008, 10:49 pm
Just Joined

Celianna is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A simple walk-through about the K1 visa

I live in the Netherlands, and I want to live with my boyfriend in the United States. I plan to start the process of immigrating in around 2 years maybe, and until then, I just want to gather all the information I need for the K1-visa.

I tried to read the official websites, but there's so much information thrown at me at once that I just forget everything they say and get lost in all the information.

So could anyone give me a simple walk-through of what is needed to be done first, what will happen after that, etc etc.

Also, I couldn't find the information on how much my boyfriend would need to earn to be able to support me. How much would he need to earn a year (and how many years must he have worked in total?), and I'd like to know about the joint sponsor. His dad earns a lot of money, so would it help if he could sponsor me? How much would the sponsor have to earn to be able to sponsor me?

And one last question, what kind of forms do I need when filing for the K1-visa? Like a police form showing my 'criminal records' (I have none), or my medial form etc etc.

Thanks in advance, I apologize if there have already been thousands of topics like this one, I'm just really confused right now on how to even start to file for the K1-visa.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 1:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A simple walk-through about the K1 visa

Originally Posted by Celianna
I live in the Netherlands, and I want to live with my boyfriend in the United States. I plan to start the process of immigrating in around 2 years maybe, and until then, I just want to gather all the information I need for the K1-visa.

I tried to read the official websites, but there's so much information thrown at me at once that I just forget everything they say and get lost in all the information.

So could anyone give me a simple walk-through of what is needed to be done first, what will happen after that, etc etc.

Also, I couldn't find the information on how much my boyfriend would need to earn to be able to support me. How much would he need to earn a year (and how many years must he have worked in total?), and I'd like to know about the joint sponsor. His dad earns a lot of money, so would it help if he could sponsor me? How much would the sponsor have to earn to be able to sponsor me?

And one last question, what kind of forms do I need when filing for the K1-visa? Like a police form showing my 'criminal records' (I have none), or my medial form etc etc.

Thanks in advance, I apologize if there have already been thousands of topics like this one, I'm just really confused right now on how to even start to file for the K1-visa.
We'll see if I can remember

While you're getting ready, save up evidence of your relationship - plane tickets showing you've visited each other, cuddly pics together, emails, birthday cards, etc.

Your fiance applies in the US for the petition to sponsor you, I-129f.
After that's approved (3 months or more)...

Meanwhile you get the police reports for every country you've spent more than 6 months in.

You are invited to apply for the K-1 fiance visa (at the embassy).
You send in the forms, and are given an appointment date (at the embassy).

Best to get all required vaccinations done ahead of time if possible.
You schedule an appointment to get your medical done at their approved doctor.

You go to the visa appointment, and are hopefully approved.
You come to the US, get married within 90 days, and apply to adjust status to a permanent resident (another whole process)

Realize that you probably will not be able to work for some months when you first come to the US.

Your fiance needs to be earning 125% of the poverty level - right now, for 2 people (himself and you) it is $17,500. If either of you have children, it would be more.

If he does not earn enough, his dad could be a joint sponsor (presuming he is a citizen and lives in the US). His dad would have to be earning 125% of the poverty leve for the number of persons in his household plus you.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 1:35 am
Twice half his height

Knight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celianna

Have a read of our K1 Wiki Article which has a list of all the different steps in the process.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 1:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Knight
Have a read of our K1 Wiki Article which has a list of all the different steps in the process.
Ah, I'm sure that does a better job than I.