Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Silly question but why is the renewal interview not in the US?

Silly question but why is the renewal interview not in the US?

Old Jan 5th 2011, 2:57 pm
Account Closed

goldenstate31 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Silly question but why is the renewal interview not in the US?

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
I think you're confusing L1 status with an L1 visa.
exactly!
what the OP has is an extension of his L1 status! his old L1 visa is now expired. The OP, should he travel outside the U.S, before re-entering the U.S will need to go to the U.S embassy in London to have the new L1 visa stamped in his passport.
However more importantly is that his immigration attorney should of informed him of this as extension of status and visa renewal are two entirely different things. The OP has extension of status until such times that he goes to london to get the L1 stamped. But OP will have to take all his details to the US embassy, with him (ie proof of employment etc etc) in order for the consular officer to consider the OP being allowed back into the states with a new visa stamped in passport. (this is why when people dont feel particularly confident about visa renewals, they choose to landlock themselves in the U.S as it is not uncommon for the consular officer, should he feel the U.S company to be marginal as some are!! and refuse the new L1 visa, so families can be left stranded in London or where ever they choose to renew and not be allowed to re-enter the states. However this seems to be more common with E2 visa holders as opposed to L1's)

Last edited by goldenstate31; Jan 5th 2011 at 3:01 pm.
Old Jan 6th 2011, 8:14 am
Just Joined

Timberwolf0122 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by goldenstate31
exactly!
what the OP has is an extension of his L1 status! his old L1 visa is now expired. The OP, should he travel outside the U.S, before re-entering the U.S will need to go to the U.S embassy in London to have the new L1 visa stamped in his passport.
However more importantly is that his immigration attorney should of informed him of this as extension of status and visa renewal are two entirely different things. The OP has extension of status until such times that he goes to london to get the L1 stamped. But OP will have to take all his details to the US embassy, with him (ie proof of employment etc etc) in order for the consular officer to consider the OP being allowed back into the states with a new visa stamped in passport. (this is why when people dont feel particularly confident about visa renewals, they choose to landlock themselves in the U.S as it is not uncommon for the consular officer, should he feel the U.S company to be marginal as some are!! and refuse the new L1 visa, so families can be left stranded in London or where ever they choose to renew and not be allowed to re-enter the states. However this seems to be more common with E2 visa holders as opposed to L1's)
The difference was not clearly explained but now I know! Good news is the DX was scheduled to deliver my passport today, bad news is I somehow missed the door bell so I have had to re-schedule the delivery for tomorrow. A bit annoying considering I phoned them within 10 minutes of seeing the delivery paper thingy.
Old Jan 6th 2011, 1:11 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Timberwolf0122
The difference was not clearly explained but now I know! Good news is the DX was scheduled to deliver my passport today, bad news is I somehow missed the door bell so I have had to re-schedule the delivery for tomorrow. A bit annoying considering I phoned them within 10 minutes of seeing the delivery paper thingy.
wait. who delivered what passport? you have to leave the U.S to have a new L stamped in your passport. Are you outside the U.S?
Old Jan 6th 2011, 2:42 pm
Just Joined

wait. who delivered what passport? you have to leave the U.S to have a new L stamped in your passport. Are you outside the U.S?
At the renewal interview at the London Embassy they take your passport so they can renew the VISA in it, I'm now waiting for theDX to deliver it back to me (currently scheduled between 6 and 10am tomorrow)
Old Jan 6th 2011, 4:09 pm
Account Closed

At the renewal interview at the London Embassy they take your passport so they can renew the VISA in it, I'm now waiting for theDX to deliver it back to me (currently scheduled between 6 and 10am tomorrow)
congrats!
Old Jan 7th 2011, 9:47 am
Just Joined

congrats!
Passport is now in hand! Next step I'm marrying a USC July 9th so hopefully the GC process should be simple (well simpler than through employment)
Old Jan 7th 2011, 1:03 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Passport is now in hand! Next step I'm marrying a USC July 9th so hopefully the GC process should be simple (well simpler than through employment)
If you're in the USA on an L1, and you marry a USC, at least you don't have to leave the USA for your adjustment of status to permanent resident.

Rene
Old Jan 7th 2011, 1:43 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
If you're in the USA on an L1, and you marry a USC, at least you don't have to leave the USA for your adjustment of status to permanent resident.
A curious comment... since if someone is in the US on just about any visa and marries a USC, they don't need to leave the US for their AOS. Of course, there may be risks involved in staying in the US but that's a whole separate issue. Of course, you're point was probably that the L-1 visa allows for dual intent! But still...

Ian
Old Jan 7th 2011, 2:05 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
A curious comment... since if someone is in the US on just about any visa and marries a USC, they don't need to leave the US for their AOS. Of course, there may be risks involved in staying in the US but that's a whole separate issue. Of course, you're point was probably that the L-1 visa allows for dual intent! But still...

Ian
My point to the OP was to let him know that at least he won't have to leave the USA. It seemed to me his big complaint in this thread was that he had to leave the USA to get things accomplished.

Rene
Old Jan 7th 2011, 2:28 pm
Just Joined

My point to the OP was to let him know that at least he won't have to leave the USA. It seemed to me his big complaint in this thread was that he had to leave the USA to get things accomplished.

Rene
My big 4 hates are:
Filling out forms
The current TSA
People who are intollerant of other cultures
<<< snipped by Moderator >>>

I'll be glad when all the form filling is over and I can keep flying to an acceptable minimum.

Last edited by Noorah101; Jan 7th 2011 at 2:45 pm.
Old Jan 7th 2011, 2:47 pm

My big 4 hates are:
Filling out forms
Then you're going to HATE the AOS process. LOL

I snipped the last of your hates, not sure if you were kidding, but it was not appropriate for the forum.

Rene
Old Jan 7th 2011, 3:10 pm
Just Joined

[QUOTE=Noorah101;9084217]Then you're going to HATE the AOS process. LOL
[/QUOTE!]
Whoopieee!

I snipped the last of your hates, not sure if you were kidding, but it was not appropriate for the forum.

Rene
It was an Austin Powers (or rather his father) joke, no offence intended.
Old Jan 7th 2011, 3:40 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

An L-1 can leave and return while under AOS without a parole letter if they still fit the L-1 criteria. As a side note, nobody has to leave the US to AOS outside of the US because you can't adjust status while outside the US.

I didn't see the comment, but I'm going to guess it was about carnival folk.
Old Jan 7th 2011, 4:17 pm
Forum Regular

msabiransari is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by crg
Not everyone qualifies for the visa. Not everyone is honest. The renewal process is a chance to catch cheaters. When they catch a cheater, they want the cheater to be stuck outside the US.
Cheaters wont go out to stamp the visa. They can also be catched during their presence in the States when they apply for the visa. DHS has every information about people on work visas.

This process is a big problem for honest people and their families and nobody can realize how much trouble it causes when you go out? You have to either pay rent for your residence for those months you are out or sell everything and then go. I know my friends who were out for several months (one friend case took 10 months in visa processing) and they did this mistake of not selling their stuff. They ended up paying thousands of dollars as the rent while not on the job. You probably can imagine how expensive it is specially if you are in east/west side.
Old Jan 7th 2011, 7:13 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by msabiransari
Cheaters wont go out to stamp the visa. They can also be catched during their presence in the States when they apply for the visa. DHS has every information about people on work visas.

This process is a big problem for honest people and their families and nobody can realize how much trouble it causes when you go out? You have to either pay rent for your residence for those months you are out or sell everything and then go. I know my friends who were out for several months (one friend case took 10 months in visa processing) and they did this mistake of not selling their stuff. They ended up paying thousands of dollars as the rent while not on the job. You probably can imagine how expensive it is specially if you are in east/west side.
"Cheaters wont go out to stamp the visa."

False. Everyone likes to be able to travel. That's why the cheater bothered with the work visa to begin with. They want to be pseudo-legal.

"They can also be catched during their presence in the States when they apply for the visa."

They can be caught and denied when they apply within the US. However, when that happens, nobody is going to make sure they actually leave the US.

"DHS has every information about people on work visas."

Not really true. There is a lot of information. I doubt DHS hs *all* of it. Either way, people who overstay work visas once denied are very low on the priority list when it comes to removing them. Criminals, and people who jumped the fence will all have to be picked up before the government bothers tracking down someone who overstayed their H1B.

"This process is a big problem for honest people and their families and nobody can realize how much trouble it causes when you go out?"

I agree that it's problematic. I'd encourage anyone who is considering coming to the US on a work visa to factor that aspect of the process into their decision. If the cons outweigh the pros for that individual, they shouldn't come. The process is not a secret. Take it or leave it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.