Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Silly question but why is the renewal interview not in the US?

Silly question but why is the renewal interview not in the US?

Old Jan 4th 2011, 3:00 pm
Just Joined

Timberwolf0122 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Silly question but why is the renewal interview not in the US?

I recently had my L1-B renewal interview at the London Embassy in the US and I was wondering, why on Earth do I need to go to the Embassy to do this? My understanding is my VISA had essentialy been renewed and all that was required was for my passport to be updated with the new VISA sticker, this could be done just as easily in an imigration office in the US or purely via secure mail... surely?
Old Jan 4th 2011, 3:38 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Silly question but why is the renewal interview not in the US?

Originally Posted by Timberwolf0122
I recently had my L1-B renewal interview at the London Embassy in the US and I was wondering, why on Earth do I need to go to the Embassy to do this? My understanding is my VISA had essentialy been renewed and all that was required was for my passport to be updated with the new VISA sticker, this could be done just as easily in an imigration office in the US or purely via secure mail... surely?
The UK Embassy in the US did this? You didn't have to leave the USA to get a new visa?

Either way, I assume you needed appear in person so they could make sure it's you.

Rene
Old Jan 4th 2011, 4:15 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

You used to be able to do it. They stopped reissuing/renewing most visa classifications within the US several years ago. Now it's limited to diplomatic visas.

They could easily issue the visa within the US, but they probably want the people who are denied to be stuck outside the US when it happens.

I imagine some people who were denied a renewal in the US would just stay anyway.
Old Jan 4th 2011, 4:17 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crg
You used to be able to do it. They stopped reissuing/renewing most visa classifications within the US several years ago. Now it's limited to diplomatic visas.

They could easily issue the visa within the US, but they probably want the people who are denied to be stuck outside the US when it happens.

I imagine some people who were denied a renewal in the US would just stay anyway.
The OP DID renew his visa within the USA. He went to the UK embassy and got it done (or so his post says).

Rene
Old Jan 4th 2011, 4:24 pm
Forum Regular

lonestargirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by crg
Dublin allow renewal of non-immigrant visas by mail.

http://dublin.usembassy.gov/non-immi...n-by-mail.html
Old Jan 4th 2011, 4:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
The OP DID renew his visa within the USA. He went to the UK embassy and got it done (or so his post says).

Rene
I think they mistyped, what authority would the British embassy have to issue a visa for the USA? I wonder if he meant the US embassy in the UK.
Old Jan 4th 2011, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
I think they mistyped, what authority would the British embassy have to issue a visa for the USA? I wonder if he meant the US embassy in the UK.
I agree...that's why I was surprised.

Rene
Old Jan 4th 2011, 5:02 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lonestargirl
Dublin allow renewal of non-immigrant visas by mail.

http://dublin.usembassy.gov/non-immi...n-by-mail.html
I was commenting on visa renewals that used to be issued by the DOS within the US. For example, the visa would list the issuing post as "Department" instead of "London" etc.

They allow you to start the application for the renewal by mail. The site says they will call you to go to the consulate overseas if they decide to interview you so there is no guarantee and any interview would surely be outside the US. So I imagine they would make any potential problem applicants, or entire classifications (such as all adult H, L, O, E etc) report for the interview.

It is common for people to send their applications to US consulates in Canada, but then drive up there for the interview and the stamping.
Old Jan 4th 2011, 5:05 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by crg

Sounds logical, and visa's are for entering a country so there is some logic.
Old Jan 4th 2011, 9:54 pm
Forum Regular

msabiransari is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Boiler
Sounds logical, and visa's are for entering a country so there is some logic.
It is logical only when you have to stop working upon visa/I-94 expiration. For example, If you have H1b visa expired and you get a new I797 approval, you do not need to stamp the visa on passport and it is perfact to continue working based on the new I797/I-94. BUT when you decide to go out then you need to apply the visa in US consulate in order to gain the entry again which is fine. However, this process sometimes takes months and there is a fair chance that you will loose your job (because you are not present in the US). I do not understand why US does not allow stamping inside US? All the background checking can be done while applicant is present in the country.
Old Jan 4th 2011, 10:00 pm
Just Joined

The UK Embassy in the US did this? You didn't have to leave the USA to get a new visa?

Either way, I assume you needed appear in person so they could make sure it's you.

Rene
The paper work was all renewed while I was in the states, however the visa in my passport required me to visit a (US) Embassy if I traveled outside of the US (with the exception of Canada/Mexico). So if the VISA has been extended and I'm allowed to drive to Canada and back without issue, why do I need to attend an interview for my passport (that already has the original visa in it) to have it updated?? It makes no sense?!?!
Old Jan 4th 2011, 10:17 pm

The paper work was all renewed while I was in the states, however the visa in my passport required me to visit a (US) Embassy if I traveled outside of the US (with the exception of Canada/Mexico). So if the VISA has been extended and I'm allowed to drive to Canada and back without issue, why do I need to attend an interview for my passport (that already has the original visa in it) to have it updated?? It makes no sense?!?!
You didn't mention in your first post that you were were attending an interview to renew your passport.

I don't know the process, so can't really comment, just saying...you have added more information now.

Rene
Old Jan 4th 2011, 10:39 pm
Just Joined

You didn't mention in your first post that you were were attending an interview to renew your passport.

I don't know the process, so can't really comment, just saying...you have added more information now.

Rene
Detail is the name of the game with Uncle Sam, I might just right a letter and see what happens.
Old Jan 4th 2011, 11:05 pm
crg
American Expat

So if the VISA has been extended and I'm allowed to drive to Canada and back without issue, why do I need to attend an interview for my passport (that already has the original visa in it) to have it updated??
They don't extend the visa. They extend the petition the visa is based on. You're only allowed to drive to Canada and back with an expired visa stamp if you don't apply for a new visa while outside the US.

Originally Posted by msabiransari0122
However, this process sometimes takes months and there is a fair chance that you will loose your job (because you are not present in the US)
Many people start the process by submitting everything and only travel out to finish the process (interview/stamping).

Not everyone qualifies for the visa. Not everyone is honest. The renewal process is a chance to catch cheaters. When they catch a cheater, they want the cheater to be stuck outside the US.

If you want to renew the petition to keep working, then you can do that. If you want to travel for a short trip to Canada/Mexico and adjacent islands (F/J only) then there is a process for that where you don't need a new visa. If you want the freedom of travel overseas then you need to go through the visa process while you are outside the US.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 1:21 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

I think you're confusing L1 status with an L1 visa.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.