Reload this Page >

Sign the Petition for Marriage Visa Reform

Sign the Petition for Marriage Visa Reform

Old Oct 6th 2011, 2:42 pm
Just Joined

PantomimeGoose is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Sign the Petition for Marriage Visa Reform

Originally Posted by BILDER
Yeah it is. You know why? Because if an individuals involved should have known what they were getting into beforehand and researched all of the immigration issues. The policies aren't perfect, but the language used on your petition is just too simplistic.
Knowing what you were getting into doesn't help a great deal when your options are basically immigrate, emigrate, or commute to your family. Why should having gone through something one way, for lack of alternatives, mean that that is the best and only way for everyone in the future?

It's an 800 word blurb: not exactly the place for nuance. If anyone on here is inclined to write a less simplistic or deceptive petition for immigration reform, I will happily sign it.
Old Oct 6th 2011, 2:51 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PantomimeGoose
"

Is it really so outlandish to think that being separated from your family for half a year or more is inequitable treatment? Paying fees to petition the government for that privilege? Being held to a higher income standard than others who want to marry? Possibly having to turn over your personal conversations to an agent for scrutiny? I'll be the first to admit this isn't some flawless proposal for legislation, and I'm no legal expert, but based on what i know of our legal system, none of that seems just.
I'm still missing something. How is the US government requiring separation from family for half a year. How is the US government imposing a higher income requirement in order to marry?
Old Oct 6th 2011, 2:56 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
I'm still missing something. How is the US government requiring separation from family for half a year. How is the US government imposing a higher income requirement in order to marry?
Apologies, my previous reply to you was longer, but part of the text got stuck in the 'quote' part of the thread under your original comments. If you can't see it there, I'll reiterate it.
Old Oct 6th 2011, 2:59 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

It's an 800 word blurb: not exactly the place for nuance.
Or accuracy?

There's a difference between "nuance" and factual data. Others have pointed out specifics. Sorry, but any debate you try and have is totally undermined by the inaccuracies in your proposal.
Old Oct 6th 2011, 4:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

zerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond repute

I also think it's unconstitutional that a US citizen can't choose to employ whoever they want, instead of being subject to the ("sometimes humiliating") requirement that they justify their business to a government agency.
Old Oct 6th 2011, 5:07 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by zerlesen
I also think it's unconstitutional that a US citizen can't choose to employ whoever they want, instead of being subject to the ("sometimes humiliating") requirement that they justify their business to a government agency.
There is a strong argument that income tax is unconstitutional, a much bigger issue.

And what about Obamacare?
Old Oct 6th 2011, 5:36 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Hey all,
I started a petition at whitehouse.gov to impose limits on the processing times for IR-1/CR-1 visas. Many of us have gone through the pain of waiting months to be allowed to see our spouses and children, and the sometimes humiliating process of justifying our marriages to a government agency. The system needs improving, but it won't happen without our voices and our advocacy!

http://wh.gov/2aH

Please sign the petition and email, FB, tweet, blog the link to anyone you think might support our cause! We need 25,000 signatures by November 3rd!
I'm well into the idea behind your petition -- it just needed more focus before you put it up there. My own suggestion would be to campaign for a limit on the government's adjudication of benefits across the board. I'd go for 30 days for completing an niv application, and 90 days for an iv. And I'd extend it to other federal benefits, too.

No highfalutin claims to the Constitution are necessary. If we claim to live in the #1 country in the world, we really can't have a 3rd-world bureaucracy.
Old Oct 6th 2011, 5:55 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by zerlesen
Businesses are public, collective institutions, while marriages are private and personal? Employing whoever you want (for example minors, illegal immigrants) is not a customary right that some businesses have and other businesses don't? A private citizen generally can choose who they want to employ, provided it is not in violation of labor laws.

If you're talking about affirmative action you might have a legitimate argument: why make it a mockery?
Old Oct 6th 2011, 5:56 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Apologies, my previous reply to you was longer, but part of the text got stuck in the 'quote' part of the thread under your original comments. If you can't see it there, I'll reiterate it.
I reread the prior posts in this thread. Again, I do not see how the US procedures mandate the separation of families in the normal immigration process.
Old Oct 6th 2011, 6:18 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
I reread the prior posts in this thread. Again, I do not see how the US procedures mandate the separation of families in the normal immigration process.
Well, individuals are required to go back to their country of origin to apply. It is not ostensibly illegal for them to visit during this time, but the burden of proof that they intend not to stay is on the foreign spouse whenever they cross the border. The decision to admit them is at the discretion of the border agent. As a result, many people are turned away because the border agent suspected they intended to stay permanently (this is a very subjective decision). Many more fear to risk it, especially if they do not have evidence of strong ties to their home country (if for example they are unemployed or living with parents).

Even if they are admitted, the border agent has the power to cap their tourist visa to the date on the return ticket. Even if they are admitted, their tourist visa may run out, leaving months to go in the process when it is mandated that they can not visit further. So while the government does not forbid seeing your spouse in many instances, it may effectively prevent it via other policies, much like Jim Crow laws frequently prevented African Americans from voting, though it was not forbidden to them. Having visitation rights to your spouse is not really the same as cohabitating with them.

This is to say nothing of those who can not easily get a tourist visa to the US, and in effect are prevented from seeing their families.
Old Oct 6th 2011, 6:26 pm
Account Closed

A private citizen generally can choose who they want to employ, provided it is not in violation of labor laws.
Labour Laws I do not recollect being in the Constitution.

And if I want to employ a French housekeeper I can not.
Old Oct 6th 2011, 6:36 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Well, individuals are required to go back to their country of origin to apply.
Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

It is not ostensibly illegal for them to visit during this time...
It is not illegal at all... so why try to obfuscate the meaning by using the adjective "ostensibly"?

... but the burden of proof that they intend not to stay is on the foreign spouse whenever they cross the border.
That burden is true for all visitors to the US... so there is no undue burden on the foreign spouse.

The decision to admit them is at the discretion of the border agent.
Again, that's true for all visitors to the US... so there is no undue burden on the foreign spouse.

As a result, many people are turned away because the border agent suspected they intended to stay permanently (this is a very subjective decision).
True... but that's his job. The officer's duty is to keep people out of the US unless they fall into one of several, very narrowly-defined exceptions.

Many more fear to risk it, especially if they do not have evidence of strong ties to their home country (if for example they are unemployed or living with parents).
True... but that is their choice.

Even if they are admitted, the border agent has the power to cap their tourist visa to the date on the return ticket.
True... and that's the officer's discretion.

Even if they are admitted, their tourist visa may run out, leaving months to go in the process when it is mandated that they can not visit further.
Oh FFS... why is it always the foreign spouse in the equation who is the one who has to travel? The couple can always see each other... if, for example, the USC spouse travels to the foreign spouse's country, or if they both meet in a 3rd country.

This is to say nothing of those who can not easily get a tourist visa to the US, and in effect are prevented from seeing their families.
Sorry, but that's just crapola... as is most of what you've written. The US is not responsible for the whims of a USC who happens to marry someone from a foreign country. That is their choice - and, as with so many things, they need to deal with the situation that they themselves create. If they don't like it, that's just TFB. That was their choice.

Ian

Last edited by ian-mstm; Oct 6th 2011 at 6:41 pm.
Old Oct 6th 2011, 6:50 pm
Account Closed

Well, individuals are required to go back to their country of origin to apply. It is not ostensibly illegal for them to visit during this time, but the burden of proof that they intend not to stay is on the foreign spouse whenever they cross the border. The decision to admit them is at the discretion of the border agent. As a result, many people are turned away because the border agent suspected they intended to stay permanently (this is a very subjective decision). Many more fear to risk it, especially if they do not have evidence of strong ties to their home country (if for example they are unemployed or living with parents).

Even if they are admitted, the border agent has the power to cap their tourist visa to the date on the return ticket. Even if they are admitted, their tourist visa may run out, leaving months to go in the process when it is mandated that they can not visit further. So while the government does not forbid seeing your spouse in many instances, it may effectively prevent it via other policies, much like Jim Crow laws frequently prevented African Americans from voting, though it was not forbidden to them. Having visitation rights to your spouse is not really the same as cohabitating with them.

You assume that the USC can not travel?

And this is a different issue, Congress yet again both requires tourists to meet the non immigrant requirement and also does not actively police those who do not so leaving the PoE and Consulates with little room for manoeuvre.
Old Oct 6th 2011, 7:45 pm
BE Commentator

Perhaps, I had practiced immigration law for too long. However, I think the insularity I feel is also present with the minions of the Dark Forces and their supporters.

Separation of spouses is a factor in hardship determinations in various wavier application and in what is called non-resident cancellation of removal. It was a factor in the prior "suspension of deportation" remedy. Accordingly, there is a fairly well developed body of law on it. It is standard analysis to make the determination twice -- hardship if citizen remains in the US and hardship if the citizen departs the US.

Furthermore, "mere" separation is not considered to be hardship by itself.

In light of the foregoing, clarification from OP will be greatly appreciated.
Old Oct 7th 2011, 12:33 am
Pedantic Moron

Michelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond repute

Even if they are admitted, their tourist visa may run out, leaving months to go in the process when it is mandated that they can not visit further.
Where is this mandated? If memory serves, there is no restriction on the amount of time you have to leave between departing the US and re-entering. While it may behoove the visitor to leave as much time out of the country as was spent in it between visits, I see no where that this is "mandated"...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.