Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Should my fiance be worried about this??

Wikiposts

Should my fiance be worried about this??

Old Jul 13th 2002, 7:45 pm
Petey's Playmate

PEACHSTER is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Should my fiance be worried about this??

I am just wondering if this will be a problem for my fiance getting his visa when the time comes.

In Dec. of 2000 my fiance came from Canada to visit & was here in the states thru mid March of 2001. He went back to Canada & came back in Mid June of 2001 & was here till Mid of Dec. 2001. From what we had found out & we assumed this is what was meant by this was if you was from Canada you could stay & visit in the states for up to 6 months at a time. Well in Dec. of last year I had him call INS to see if he could stay till over x-mas & they said no unless he had a visa of some sort. He had mention that he had been here for 6 months & a few days over that. He was worried he would get into trouble for the overstay so also mentioned this to INS on the phone. Well they told him that it was a total of 6 months over a year. He had asked if he would get into trouble & they said no. While he was here he never worked & the reason why he was here so long was we wanted to make sure this is what we wanted before just jumping in & filing the paperwork & then down the road realize it was a mistake.

What he wants to know & I guess I do too is will this affect him getting the visa??? Can he be denied for this length of stay???

Also in Aug. of 2000 he tried to come visit me but was denied in cause he didnt have enough funds for his length of stay was the reason. Should we tell them this at the interview & will this affect him gettin a visa.

Sorry but we are just freakin out over this whole ordeal & worrying about everything.
Old Jul 14th 2002, 12:23 pm
Petey's Playmate

Default Re: Should my fiance be worried about this??

^^^bump^^^
Old Jul 14th 2002, 1:20 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Well he had to put down his visits on one of the forms so if he were truthful, INS knows about his overstay. Will it be a problem? Most likely not as Canadian enjoy a more relaxed relationship in that regard as they don't receive I-94's in their passports when crossing the border.

My advice: Don't worry about something until there is something to worry about.

Rete
Old Jul 14th 2002, 1:44 pm
Petey's Playmate

Thanks Rete for the reply.