Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Should I reschedule my AOS interview?

Wikiposts

Should I reschedule my AOS interview?

Old Jun 11th 2005, 5:32 am
Forum Regular

Myharris has a brilliant futureMyharris has a brilliant futureMyharris has a brilliant futureMyharris has a brilliant futureMyharris has a brilliant futureMyharris has a brilliant futureMyharris has a brilliant futureMyharris has a brilliant future
Default Re: Should I reschedule my AOS interview?

Chgl... i am 16 days shy of meeting my two years anniversary, as everyone here knows my marriage been on a rocky start (very rocky).
I am going for my interview on the 1st and hopefully I will forget my marriage certificate. Seeing that this is a must have... i might be told to mail it back.. which i will do after my 2anniversary 16 days later.
If asked why I forgot i will let them know I was nervous and overprepared.
can't wait another two years to have conditions removed..
Don't know what might happened to my marriage then.
Old Jun 11th 2005, 5:44 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Myharris
Chgl... i am 16 days shy of meeting my two years anniversary, as everyone here knows my marriage been on a rocky start (very rocky).
I am going for my interview on the 1st and hopefully I will forget my marriage certificate. Seeing that this is a must have... i might be told to mail it back.. which i will do after my 2anniversary 16 days later.

Dumb Move, Harris

You can remove conditions asa you are divorced if the two year period has not yet arrived.
Old Jun 11th 2005, 5:52 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

bearing in mind that this is a public forum, and if the DAO has more time on his/her hands and checks these forums and then notices what you've said, you could be asking for a lot of trouble, basically lying about why you didn't bring the certificate, especially something that important on a marriage based AOS, they then might put you under more scrutiny to see if you have lied else where...

Chances are small, but on something this important, should you be willing to take the risk?
Old Jun 11th 2005, 5:57 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

... can't wait another two years to have conditions removed.
Don't be stupid. Take everything with you and have the interview and get approved. Even if you divorce a week after you're approved you can file immediately for removal of conditions without waiting 2 years to do it.

Ian
Old Jun 11th 2005, 6:00 am
Forum Regular

Myharris has a brilliant futureMyharris has a brilliant futureMyharris has a brilliant futureMyharris has a brilliant futureMyharris has a brilliant futureMyharris has a brilliant futureMyharris has a brilliant futureMyharris has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Rete
Dumb Move, Harris

You can remove conditions asa you are divorced if the two year period has not yet arrived.
okay folks.. that why I love you guys..
I am going to go for it with everything i got.
BTW I am contempalting on buying the new Chrysler 300 C, any one on here have it?
Bought a Jaguar S- Type but thinking about trading in to get the Chrysler...
Old Jun 12th 2005, 9:08 am
Just Joined

BooGeek is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rete
Ditto all the advice previously given. Note, however, that you will NOT have to immediately turn around and apply for removal of conditions. Eligibility to remove conditions does not occur until 1 year and 9 months after you become a conditional permanent resident.
I'm not denying that what you say is correct, though I was under the same impression re. when to file for removal of conditions as the OP. Is it not clearly wrong, though, that it should be this way? If your interview is scheduled the day before your 2 year aniversary you have a (nearly) 4 year probationary period + $xxx and time, a day later your 'sentence' is reduced by 2 years (time already served) and no further work required. And for what reason? That your circumstances require further examination? No - just due to volume of work at your local office.

Can anyone think of a good reason for this? I appreciate it doesn't do any good to worry about it, but I'm kind of intrigued to know if there is a reason...
Old Jun 12th 2005, 9:34 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BooGeek
Can anyone think of a good reason for this? I appreciate it doesn't do any good to worry about it, but I'm kind of intrigued to know if there is a reason...
It's just the way the law was written...
http://tinyurl.com/9dpf6
Old Jun 12th 2005, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

stardust79 is an unknown quantity at this point

My husband and I were 17 days prior to our 2 year anniversary. It turned out that it had been over a year and his fingerprints expired so we asked if those could be redone. Just ask the officer if there is anyway they can delay filing your case until your anniversary so you can get non-conditional status. Our immigration officer said he would try. I'll let you know in a week or two if we got non-conditional status. Our interview was in Atlanta.

-Star

Originally Posted by cgle
I (finally) received notification about my AOS interview. The somewhat
annoying thing: It's scheduled just 20 days prior to our 2 year
anniversary.
Which means I would only get conditional status and would
immediately need to file for removal of the conditional status. That
means more $$ to the USCIS and more paperwork. I'm therefore wondering
if it would make sense to call and reschedule the appointment such that
it will be after our 2 year anniversary. This way I would get
non-conditional permanent residency immediately.
    >From the information on the USCIS webpage it seems that rescheduling is
only for serious emergencies (understandable) and even then they might
not give me another date. I was wondering, do they really take it that
serious? Or would it work without problems if I call and for instance
claim I had a work related trip that day that I can't skip and that I
therefore need a different date?
I don't care if that shifts the date back by something like 2 or 3
months.
Any information on this is highly appreciated.
Oh, in case it matters my district is Atlanta.

Thanks in advance,

andreas