Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Should I postpone interview date?

Wikiposts

Should I postpone interview date?

Old Oct 15th 2005, 3:53 am
Forum Regular

britnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to behold
Default Should I postpone interview date?

Hi.
I've received the date for our interviews in London today - 18th November 2005! (Only sent DS2001 in three weeks ago, expecting a three month wait!)
We do not wish to travel to US until August 2006 though.
Advices, please, on whether I should contact the Embassy to re-schedule the appointment (the letter with it seems to frown upon this, indicating a delay of several months - has anyone any experience of rescheduling interview?), or should I ask them if the Visas, once issued, can be extended beyond the 180 days to allow us to travel once school finishes?
I'm really nervous about messing things up, having got this far!
Help?!
Thank you!
Old Oct 15th 2005, 4:15 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Should I postpone interview date?

Originally Posted by britnyank
Hi.
I've received the date for our interviews in London today - 18th November 2005! (Only sent DS2001 in three weeks ago, expecting a three month wait!)
Advices, please, on whether I should contact the Embassy to re-schedule the appointment (the letter with it seems to frown upon this, indicating a delay of several months - has anyone any experience of rescheduling interview?), or should I ask them if the Visas, once issued, can be extended beyond the 180 days to allow us to travel once school finishes?
Help?!
Thank you!
Hi:

I've never done it, but I do know that there IS a procedure for revalidating a visa as long as it is within the same fiscal year. Remember, I've never done this and I wonder about the post 2001 security checks causing problems if they have to be redone.
Old Oct 15th 2005, 6:26 am
Forum Regular

britnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to behold

From what I can gather from US Embassy site, there are 'special' circumstances in which a Visa can be renewed if we don't travel before it expires - subject to extra Visa processing fees!

So I'm hoping for some information from someone who has actually postponed an interview for whatever reason, and the effect it has had on their Visa being issued?

Also, I understand that some people have flown into US with the Visa, and then flown home to tie up 'loose ends'? How likely are we to run into problems with this if, say, we fly to JFK and then straight home again? Will the authorities not wonder why we didn't stay if we are shown to have left at once? Will this affect re-entry a few months later?

I am so scared of getting this wrong! Help, please?
Old Oct 15th 2005, 7:32 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

From what I can gather from US Embassy site, there are 'special' circumstances in which a Visa can be renewed if we don't travel before it expires - subject to extra Visa processing fees!

So I'm hoping for some information from someone who has actually postponed an interview for whatever reason, and the effect it has had on their Visa being issued?

Also, I understand that some people have flown into US with the Visa, and then flown home to tie up 'loose ends'? How likely are we to run into problems with this if, say, we fly to JFK and then straight home again? Will the authorities not wonder why we didn't stay if we are shown to have left at once? Will this affect re-entry a few months later?

Slightly different but for the same reason, my husband had got his K3 2 years ago, flew over a week later for our wedding anniversary and then flew back a week later to "tie up loose ends" in the UK. He came here for good with the K3 almost 3 months later. I know of one other poster here that did the same thing, was also a K3.
Old Oct 15th 2005, 8:08 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi.
Help?!
Thank you!
Hi there!

Wow, that was fast! I have a few suggestions:

1. Try to postpone the interview date until February/March of 2006. Email London and see if they'll give you an interview date that far ahead. Just tell them the reason why you can't travel until August 2006.

2. Go ahead and interview in November, and then see if they'll extend the visa. But I think this might be risky...what if they don't extend it? I don't know anyone offhand that's even tried to do this.

3. Go ahead and interview in November, get the visa, and come to the USA at some point between November 2005 and May 2006 to activate the visa(s). You can immediately return to the UK if you want, as long as you have a valid address in the USA where they can send your green cards. At the POE, they'll stamp your passport with the I-551 so you can use that to travel again when you return to stay in the USA.

My opinion would be option 3, even though it will cost an extra ticket. At least that way you're not messing with the actual interview/visa process.

Congrats on getting the interview date!!

Rene
Old Oct 15th 2005, 10:36 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi:

This is done all the time -- the problems arise when you take several years and multiple long trips to "tie up the loose ends." BTW, it is a VALID reason to immediately return abroad for long time to complete studies on a specified term, eg. completion of a degree [I've done this several times for pending "age-outs."]

If one of the "loose ends" is sale of appreciated property, you might want to take a look into the US tax consequences. Once you officially immigrate,you are a US "tax resident."
Old Oct 15th 2005, 2:37 pm
Mummy and baby 1982

Maggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

I changed the date of my IV interview in London. It should have been in May 2005 but we couldn't attend and we asked to reschedule. They rescheduled to June 2005 which is what we asked for. I communicated with the US Embassy by e mail.

[email protected]

You can always ask for an interview in 2006 and see what they say.

Maggie

Hi.
Help?!
Thank you!
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 4:15 am
Forum Regular

Hi.
Thanks to everyone who offered advice.
I did email the embassy, explaining my position and they have agreed to re-schedule the interview for next year; telling me they will be in touch about 4 to 6 weeks beforehand with a new date!
Here's hoping!
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 10:25 am
Mummy and baby 1982

Maggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there

Great news, glad you managed to get it all sorted out.

Maggie

Hi.
Thanks to everyone who offered advice.
I did email the embassy, explaining my position and they have agreed to re-schedule the interview for next year; telling me they will be in touch about 4 to 6 weeks beforehand with a new date!
Here's hoping!