Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

A short answer for those inquiring about AOS as a tourist

Wikiposts

A short answer for those inquiring about AOS as a tourist

Old Feb 9th 2003, 2:56 pm
Just Joined

daveL is an unknown quantity at this point

[Go to hell, Mr. Bureaucrat Ass, not everyone is here for your moralizing bullshit. Maybe love for you is not fiery and consuming, but something to shuffle around in a stack of papers fore a year or two. **** off. Sincerely
QUOTE]Originally posted by Patrick
If it is "illegal to enter the U.S. as a tourist (via. B1/B2, Visa Waiver, or Canadian Waiver), with a preconceived intent to immigrate by marrying and filing for AOS" then it is at the very least immoral if not illegal to give it as advice to people who are looking for a way of avoiding the INS process.

My side of the argument has always been about advising people to do enter on VW and marry and the actual act itself. This to me is a perfect solution - give people this snippet in pure english and make them make up their own mind.

Patrick

BTW I met Rob Clews today for lunch, what a nice guy. Now I have met two people from the NG and its great, they have both been nice. [/QUOTE]
Old Feb 9th 2003, 11:49 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by daveL
[Go to hell, Mr. Bureaucrat Ass, not everyone is here for your moralizing bullshit. Maybe love for you is not fiery and consuming, but something to shuffle around in a stack of papers fore a year or two. **** off. Sincerely
I'm sorry I don't get your argument. No one is moralising here. I have never said (not once, not ever) that people should not marry on a VW or B1/B2.

It has gotten to be common practise on this NG lately to advise people to marry on on VW instead of going through the K1 process and "shuffle around in a stack of papers fore a year or two". This is an immigration NG and I think people should give proper advise.

I do understand this concept will be difficult for someone of your limited intelect to comprehend so please save me anymore of your trailer park ravings and put me on your ignore list. Now get back to watching Jerry Springer or you won't know how to act when your a guest

Patrick
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 12:26 pm
Paul Ronald

Default Re: A short answer for those inquiring about AOS as a tourist

Originally posted by Paulgani

It is illegal to enter the U.S. as a tourist (via. B1/B2, Visa Waiver, or
Canadian Waiver), with a preconceived intent to immigrate by marrying and
filing for AOS. It is NOT illegal to enter the U.S. as a tourist if your
intent is to depart the U.S. after a temporary visit, but you change your
mind and decide to marry and file AOS AFTER your arrival in the U.S.

An INS official will attempt to determine your intent at the Port of
Entry. Should you be determined to have "immigrant intent", you *will* be
denied entry to the U.S., and you *could* be subjected to Expedited
Removal, which entails a 5 year ban to reentry. Note, there is NO appeal
of the POE official's decision.

Should you successfully enter the U.S., you will be permitted to AOS,
*regardless of your original intent* at the POE. Case law binds the INS
to grant AOS if having "preconceived intent to immigrate" at entry is the
only negative equity in your application. However, if it is determined
that you made "material misrepresentations" at the POE in order to achieve
an entry, you will be denied AOS.

One thing I discovered is that it is NOT possible to discuss all the issues
and ramifications of this topic in a few paragraphs. It is really quite a
complex subject area, and requires exhaustive study to fully understand.

Paulgani

I am a big fan of yours Mr. Gani. You are the most intelligent person in this forum by far