Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Sham Marriage being treated Criminally

Wikiposts

Sham Marriage being treated Criminally

Old Apr 17th 2010, 1:14 pm
Questy Questionson

agentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sham Marriage being treated Criminally

Interesting story on CNN.com
Old Apr 18th 2010, 7:29 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sham Marriage being treated Criminally

So, while it appears that this marriage may well have been fraudulent as far as US immigration law is concerned it does raise a bigger question in my mind - what exactly is it that makes a marriage a "sham" - and who gets to decide?

In fact what the heck is "marriage"?

... discuss ...
Old Apr 18th 2010, 7:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
So, while it appears that this marriage may well have been fraudulent as far as US immigration law is concerned it does raise a bigger question in my mind - what exactly is it that makes a marriage a "sham" - and who gets to decide?

In fact what the heck is "marriage"?

... discuss ...
Marriage was traditionally thought far too important to be left to 'romantic love'.
Old Apr 18th 2010, 9:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
- what exactly is it that makes a marriage a "sham" - and who gets to decide?
Some guy behind a desk.

According to my lawyer, USCIS is the only federal agency allowed to be racist, sexist, ageist and every other discriminatory -ist. The fact my wife and I were plus or minus a year in age, both white, both the same religion, friendly country etc etc meant we were either destined to breeze through (as we did) or held up as an example. She gave an example of a client of hers, he was black, she was Asian, big age gap, they had a child together and they were held up as an example and had big problems proving it was a real relationship. So, even having kids doesn't guarantee things.
Old Apr 18th 2010, 1:11 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agentpeppermint
Interesting story on CNN.com
Something does not feel right about this. Can't put my finger on it though. Part of it is the timing.
Old Apr 18th 2010, 1:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Something does not feel right about this. Can't put my finger on it though. Part of it is the timing.
The beginning of a public crackdown? It does seem odd to make an example of this now. Sham marriages are hardly new news.
Old Apr 18th 2010, 10:42 pm
Busy at Work

lifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Brit3964
The beginning of a public crackdown? It does seem odd to make an example of this now. Sham marriages are hardly new news.
She's somewhat of a Celebrity, taking on her case will generate the kind of media attention to deter other people from doing it. It somewhat reminds me of a few years ago when the Los Angeles DA took on the case of Paris Hilton drunk-driving and she got a harsher than usual punishment
Old Apr 18th 2010, 11:41 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

I can tell you this, it's not too often that a girl that looks like that offers a pizza delivery guy money to marry her. I'd have bought lotto tickets.
Old Apr 19th 2010, 12:12 am
Busy at Work

lifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
I can tell you this, it's not too often that a girl that looks like that offers a pizza delivery guy money to marry her. I'd have bought lotto tickets.
Maybe the Pizza Delivery Guy is incredibly hot...and delivers more than expected in bed...who knows? I also doubt that it's a genuine marriage either. I think there will be a certain level of couple profiling when they decide which couples to investigate more for fraud.
Old Apr 19th 2010, 12:48 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lifehouse51
She's somewhat of a Celebrity, taking on her case will generate the kind of media attention to get some sleazebag reelected.
Fixed it for ya!
Old Apr 19th 2010, 1:01 am
Busy at Work

Originally Posted by chartreuse
Fixed it for ya!
Oh that's right, I forgot that government officials all are selfless and have the interests of the public in their heart and never do things with hidden personal agenda, silly me!
Old Apr 19th 2010, 3:06 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brit3964
Who knows? Also, it is possible to commit criminal fraud in applying based upon a valid marriage. BTW, until very recently, the prosecuting attorney was employed by ICE.
Old Apr 19th 2010, 4:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Who knows? Also, it is possible to commit criminal fraud in applying based upon a valid marriage. BTW, until very recently, the prosecuting attorney was employed by ICE.
Interesting. The plot thickens!