Reload this Page >

seperated from usa husband

Wikiposts

seperated from usa husband

Old Jul 7th 2009, 12:55 pm
Just Joined

mischief2288 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default seperated from usa husband

I am seperating from my US husband , we have 2 children aged 3 and 5 ,I am returning to UK with his permission. I have a job to go to but cannot afford daycare and housing with my wages. Will I get benefits. I have been in USA for 5 years.
Thanks
Old Jul 7th 2009, 1:19 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: seperated from usa husband

Won't you be getting support payments from your husband? It seems unfair to me that the UK taxpayer should be expected to subsidize you while your husband gets off free.
Old Jul 7th 2009, 1:38 pm
Just Joined

mischief2288 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
Won't you be getting support payments from your husband? It seems unfair to me that the UK taxpayer should be expected to subsidize you while your husband gets off free.
Well its a bit difficult as he lost his job and had to take another one with a big pay cut so he will have to pay for the house/ animals etc. I dont plan on wanting help forever i have never claimed before and up until i came here have always worked .
Old Jul 7th 2009, 2:02 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mischief2288
Well its a bit difficult as he lost his job and had to take another one with a big pay cut so he will have to pay for the house/ animals etc. I dont plan on wanting help forever i have never claimed before and up until i came here have always worked .
If you claim benefits, he will probably be found and assessed for child support. You are required to name him anyway if you try and claim benefits, because of the entitlement to child support and how that affects what you can be paid. If you are entitled to a half share of the house or other assets (you likely will be as its the US) that amount may be factored in to your personal assets for the benefit calculation, as it should be.

"A bit difficult" is an excuse - his kids, he has to pay, as you should, if the shoe was on the other foot. He will pay child support based on his current earnings.

Last edited by dingbat; Jul 7th 2009 at 2:14 pm. Reason: CSA vs. court error
Old Jul 7th 2009, 2:03 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dingbat
If you claim benefits, he will probably be found by the CSA and assessed for child support.
Found in the United States?
Old Jul 7th 2009, 2:03 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mischief2288
I am seperating from my US husband , we have 2 children aged 3 and 5 ,I am returning to UK with his permission. I have a job to go to but cannot afford daycare and housing with my wages. Will I get benefits. I have been in USA for 5 years.
Thanks
If you have US citizen children, you should make sure you have your own US citizenship before you leave.
Old Jul 7th 2009, 2:12 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

If you claim benefits, he will probably be found by the CSA and assessed for child support. You are required to name him anyway if you try and claim benefits, because of the entitlement to child support and how that affects what you can be paid. If you are entitled to a half share of the house or other assets (you likely will be as its the US) that amount may be factored in to your personal assets for the benefit calculation, as it should be.

"A bit difficult" is an excuse - his kids, he has to pay, as you should, if the shoe was on the other foot. He will pay child support based on his current earnings.
CSA won't be able to do shit about trying to get money out of someone not in the UK.

That's not an excuse for the father not to bother, but losing a job and medical benefits can be pretty tough.
Old Jul 7th 2009, 2:13 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Found in the United States?
Yes. The UK court actually has to make an Order when the absent parent is overseas, which is then enforced through REMO. Benefit claimants are required to provide details of the father/absent parent. CSA will refer on to the courts, if there is a clear case of avoiding child support to gain benefits.

It is very easy to find people these days. Ask my ex.
Old Jul 7th 2009, 2:18 pm
Cynically amused.

Originally Posted by Bob
CSA won't be able to do shit about trying to get money out of someone not in the UK.
The court will assist, I have done this myself, so I know it can be done. The CSA will only enforce when both parents are in the UK, that is true, but there are other mechanisms for collection.
Old Jul 7th 2009, 2:18 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. The UK court actually has to make an Order when the absent parent is overseas, which is then enforced through REMO. Benefit claimants are required to provide details of the father/absent parent. CSA will refer on to the courts, if there is a clear case of avoiding child support to gain benefits.

It is very easy to find people these days. Ask my ex.
finding yes, enforcing, not a chance in the US.
Old Jul 7th 2009, 2:24 pm
Cynically amused.

Originally Posted by Bob
finding yes, enforcing, not a chance in the US.
http://www.csa.gov.uk/en/case/remo.asp

The US is a reciprocating country. It is not that hard to do, if you can bear with the lengthy process. Abandoning children seems to run in my ex's family; his brother was surprised to get nailed in the end where he lived in the States. It took just over a year to get it.
Old Jul 7th 2009, 2:27 pm
JAJ
Retired

The US is a reciprocating country. It is not that hard to do, if you can bear with the lengthy process. Abandoning children seems to run in my ex's family; his brother was surprised to get nailed in the end where he lived in the States. It took just over a year to get it.
The unanswered question is why she is not applying for maintenance from her husband right now.
Old Jul 7th 2009, 2:37 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

It's a state by state thing, handful of states won't take part and in others it'll still be unlikely you'll actually get anything from them.
Old Jul 7th 2009, 3:18 pm
Cynically amused.

Originally Posted by Bob
It's a state by state thing, handful of states won't take part and in others it'll still be unlikely you'll actually get anything from them.
I'm sure you are right. I only have experience if two US states and Canada. Sad really, its the kids who end up doing without. JAJ yes, agreed, child support should ideally be sorted out now before the OP's move. Maybe it is a case of leaving the US freely with the kids, on condition of making no claim against him. In which case, the UK tax payer temporarily foots the bill. Oh dear.
Old Jul 7th 2009, 3:30 pm
JAJ
Retired

I'm sure you are right. I only have experience if two US states and Canada. Sad really, its the kids who end up doing without. JAJ yes, agreed, child support should ideally be sorted out now before the OP's move. Maybe it is a case of leaving the US freely with the kids, on condition of making no claim against him. In which case, the UK tax payer temporarily foots the bill. Oh dear.
I'm not sure it's smart to aspire to a life on benefits in any country - contrary to popular myth, such life is rarely a comfortable one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.