Wikiposts

"separation" and oath

Old May 24th 2007, 7:58 am
Forum Regular

samal1485 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default "separation" and oath

I have been called for an oath ceremony in August. I submitted N 400 based on 3 years rule. Menahwile, my husband and I being kind of separated. Even though we lived a part just across the street from each other for the last 6 months, we have been seing each other, did some weekend travel and talking about our problems and future. We have not filed for a divorce yet as there is a chance that we can work it out. The question is should I go to oath ceremony or not? Based on 5 year rule I can apply in Jan 2008.
I read about 3 years and 5 years rule, but still in my situation I am not sure what I should do.

Thanks,

Samal
Old May 24th 2007, 9:56 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "separation" and oath

Originally Posted by samal1485
The question is should I go to oath ceremony or not?
Prior to the ceremony, you will be asked whether or not *anything* has changed since you attended your interview. If you separated after the interview, you should not lie. If you do lie and the truth comes out at some point in the future, your citizenship can be revoked. If you were separated when you were interviewed and you did *not* tell the officer, you've already lied to him. Play it safe... wait until 2008.

Ian
Old May 24th 2007, 11:05 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Prior to the ceremony, you will be asked whether or not *anything* has changed since you attended your interview. If you separated after the interview, you should not lie. If you do lie and the truth comes out at some point in the future, your citizenship can be revoked. If you were separated when you were interviewed and you did *not* tell the officer, you've already lied to him. Play it safe... wait until 2008.

Ian
In terms of background check, will I have to wait again for 2 years or it might happen much faster?
Thanks
Old May 24th 2007, 11:14 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

In terms of background check, will I have to wait again for 2 years or it might happen much faster?
Thanks
If you file a new N-400, you will have a new biometrics appointment. There's no way of knowing how long it will take. Could be faster, could be longer.

At what point did you wait for 2 years for your background check? After filing your current N-400?

Rene
Old May 24th 2007, 11:20 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
If you file a new N-400, you will have a new biometrics appointment. There's no way of knowing how long it will take. Could be faster, could be longer.

At what point did you wait for 2 years for your background check? After filing your current N-400?

Rene
My original (current) n400 based on 3 year rule.
Old May 24th 2007, 11:25 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

My original (current) n400 based on 3 year rule.
I know your current N-400 is based on the 3-year rule. I'm asking when is it that you've waited 2 years for your background check to be completed? After you did biometrics for your current N-400?