Reload this Page >

this seems too good to be true

Wikiposts

this seems too good to be true

Old Jul 15th 2005, 12:09 pm
Just Joined

sarahg2005 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default this seems too good to be true

my boyfriend finally got ahold of someone from the USCIS, and this is what she said (regarding a K1 visa):

- i would not be restricted travel to or from the united
states during the application process and that since i am canadian
i would just need to show my passport/ID.
- there should be no problem getting through customs
- we wouldn't need a lawyer at all.
- they are currently processing at about 6-8 weeks

what do you all think of this?
i can't believe it... especially the first point
Old Jul 15th 2005, 12:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

sphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: this seems too good to be true

Originally Posted by sarahg
my boyfriend finally got ahold of someone from the USCIS, and this is what she said (regarding a K1 visa):

It might serve you well to read some of attorney Folinsky's posts where he repeatedly points out that Federal employees (or contractors in this case) cannot be held legally responsible for the misinformation they provide. As such, it would behoove you to retain counsel if you have any doubts.

A quick read of BE will reveal that the first statement attributed to USCIS is not necessarily correct.

No one can guarantee that there will be "no problem getting through customs".

You wanna buy some Vermont oceanfront from me? I can get you a good deal (and I'm sure I could get a contract employee at USCIS to vouch that Vermont is on the ocean).
Old Jul 15th 2005, 12:19 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sarah,

No, you're not restricted from traveling Canada to USA during the process, but just come prepared, as was discussed before, to show the POE Officer that you do NOT intend to stay in the USA. I think that was covered a lot in your other thread, what to bring as proof, etc. It's true that you have no restrictions on traveling, it's just up the POE officer whether to let you in or not.

You don't need a lawyer as long as you are organized, detail-oriented, do LOTS of research, and have no past problems that might arise such as arrests, overstays, etc.

There are many factors which decide how long the processing takes. Are you talking about 8 weeks total from filing the I-129F to getting the K-1 visa in hand? That seems very fast to me, but who knows? At what Service Center will the USC be filing the I-129F?

Rene
Old Jul 16th 2005, 12:35 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi:

One should check with reliable sources rather than USCIS.

A statement from a government official that "you don't need an attorney" is troublesome to me. You have a statutory RIGHT to an attorney [without expense to the government] and the choice is YOURS. When ever this question comes up, management has to tell their people "you can tell them that they CAN have an attorney, the choice is up to them. Do NOT say they don't 'need' an attorney."
Old Jul 19th 2005, 3:04 pm
Just Joined

probiotic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
One should check with reliable sources rather than USCIS.
i was wondering what you mean by this. are there sources more reliable we should talk to instead of USCIS?
Old Jul 19th 2005, 3:19 pm
Just Joined

probiotic is an unknown quantity at this point

hello all,

Sarahg, who is Canadian, is my longtime girlfriend and is going to come visit me for a few months in the United States after which we may apply for a K1 visa. We are obviously very excited about this, but also somewhat concerned about her getting through POE since she will be living/visiting me for at least a few months (and probably closer to the maximal allowable stay of 6 months). The problem is that she does not have enough money herself for such a lengthy stay. I would be supporting her while she lives/visits me (and of course she would not work here).

We are concerned about POE because at the moment she has little solid ties to prove she would return to Canada in a timely manner (no school, work, only a bank account really). We were wondering if me giving her money upfront would make it less suspicious for a POE officer, since she could at least prove she could support herself for months' duration.

I hope you can help us out. Thank you in advance.
Old Jul 19th 2005, 4:41 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by probiotic
hello all,

Sarahg, who is Canadian, is my longtime girlfriend and is going to come visit me for a few months in the United States after which we may apply for a K1 visa. We are obviously very excited about this, but also somewhat concerned about her getting through POE since she will be living/visiting me for at least a few months (and probably closer to the maximal allowable stay of 6 months). The problem is that she does not have enough money herself for such a lengthy stay. I would be supporting her while she lives/visits me (and of course she would not work here).

We are concerned about POE because at the moment she has little solid ties to prove she would return to Canada in a timely manner (no school, work, only a bank account really). We were wondering if me giving her money upfront would make it less suspicious for a POE officer, since she could at least prove she could support herself for months' duration.

Hi,

There's no way to tell. It's just a risk one has to be willing to take or not. There's not much we can do to help, except to just say be aware that she may be turned away at the POE. Or she may not. There's no way of knowing.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Jul 20th 2005, 12:33 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

We are obviously very excited about this, but also somewhat concerned about her getting through POE since she will be living/visiting me for at least a few months (and probably closer to the maximal allowable stay of 6 months).
How exactly is she going to cross the border? Does she have a car? Is she taking a bus or a train? Y'know... if she brings 6 months worth of clothes with her, that may be seen as suspicious. Also, be aware that there is a world of difference between "living" and "visiting"... so don't use them as though they were interchangeable.

We were wondering if me giving her money upfront would make it less suspicious for a POE officer...
Umm... I doubt it.

To restate what others have said, there is no way to know beforehand whether or not she will be allowed to enter the US. Money isn't an issue... her tie to Canada is what's important. If she can't demonstrate any, perhaps you should rethink your strategy!

Ian
Old Jul 20th 2005, 1:08 am
BE Enthusiast

bionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to behold

i was wondering what you mean by this. are there sources more reliable we should talk to instead of USCIS?

I believe the operative word is "talk". USCIS procedure and the law are good sources for most uncomplicated matters. Unfortunately, the people who man the phones at USCIS (i.e. "contract" workers as Sphyrapicus pointed out) have been known not to have the right answers. If you are willing to read, carefully, the USCIS procedure and the law upon which those procedures are based can give you sufficient background. If you wish to "talk" to someone about a more complicated issue, a competent immigration attorney would be your best bet.
Old Jul 20th 2005, 3:12 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

prob,

Any competent, experienced, immigration attorney - who will elicit the facts of a particular situation before giving advice specific to that particular situation.

I'm willing to bet that the USCIS contract employee who you spoke with did not solicit any more information from you than was contained in your questions, and her responses are very general ones that omit a lot of qualifications that can be important.

Regards, JEff

Old Jul 20th 2005, 4:37 am
Just Joined

sarahg2005 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
How exactly is she going to cross the border? Does she have a car? Is she taking a bus or a train? Y'know... if she brings 6 months worth of clothes with her, that may be seen as suspicious. Also, be aware that there is a world of difference between "living" and "visiting"... so don't use them as though they were interchangeable.
by plane. i'm not really worried about the clothes, i wasn't planning on bringing much anyway, and i'm going to be honest with them about how long i'm staying if they ask (which they usually do).

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Money isn't an issue... her tie to Canada is what's important. If she can't demonstrate any, perhaps you should rethink your strategy!
the money thing is because everyone here has told me that i'm more likely to be denied if i can't prove that i have the funds to support myself while there, so we thought that if he gave me a decent amount to put in the bank that i could show them, it would help
Old Jul 20th 2005, 6:07 am
jingling

jcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond repute

hello all,

Before we were married, my husband tried to do the exact same thing you are thinking about (he's from Canada). He wanted to visit for several months and then return to Canada. However, he could not prove he had ties to return. He was denied flat out at the airport.

Funds are important, but it does not prove that she'll return to Canada. I don't think they care so much about whether she has sufficent funds as they do whether she'll return. Regardless of the intent to return, if she can't prove ties, most likely she won't get in.

Having tried the same thing in the past, I just wanted to share my thoughts on that...I hope it's helpful.
Old Jul 20th 2005, 7:00 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

... i'm going to be honest with them about how long i'm staying if they ask (which they usually do).
Absolutely! Best thing you can do, really.

the money thing is because everyone here has told me that i'm more likely to be denied if i can't prove that i have the funds to support myself while there...
I have made hundreds of border crossings between Canada and the US, and I have never once been asked whether I had sufficient money! It really has never come up! I really don't think this will be an issue.

Ian