Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Seeking advice on UK citizen marrying US citizen in Pennsylvania

Wikiposts

Seeking advice on UK citizen marrying US citizen in Pennsylvania

Old Jan 1st 2010, 3:00 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Seeking advice on UK citizen marrying US citizen in Pennsylvania

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
Yes, apparently!

(Actually, broke the law and got away with it, which is not the same as being illegal. But I think I understand what you meant.)

Regards, JEff
Are you suggesting I broke the law? be very careful in ones reply.
Old Jan 1st 2010, 5:15 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ginblossom
I have noticed that time and again, UK folks want to marry USC but do not under pain of death want to live in the UK with said new spouse. Its America or bust which is kinda, to my mind at least, a slight perversion to the whole marrying someone because you love them and want to be wherever that person is anywhere in the world.
If you go to the US-->UK-centric immigration forum at uk-yankee, you see lots of couples where the American half moved to the UK. It might just be a case of 'when you're a hammer, everything looks like a nail'?
Old Jan 1st 2010, 5:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Ginblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
If you go to the US-->UK-centric immigration forum at uk-yankee, you see lots of couples where the American half moved to the UK. It might just be a case of 'when you're a hammer, everything looks like a nail'?
Oh I am sure you are right, but as I said just an observation.

Though perhaps they do on the site you mention, I wouldn't know having never been to that site.
Old Jan 1st 2010, 5:19 am
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
An interesting thing, among our friends at least, is the preponderance of limey bloke marrying colonial chick, rather than the other way around. And that also holds true for our mixed-marriage friends who chose to live in the UK.

Anyone care to read anything profound/sinister into that?
Old Jan 1st 2010, 5:23 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ginblossom
Oh I am sure you are right, but as I said just an observation.

Though perhaps they do on the site you mention, I wouldn't know having never been to that site.
I always find it suspicious when the couple must live in one spouse's country because they're "close to their family" or some equal tripe. If you have to live in, say, the UK because the UKC got caught dealing drugs, that's fair enough.
But some of the tosh you read on here makes me think they should reconsider the marriage before worrying about the immigration aspect of it.
Old Jan 1st 2010, 5:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Ginblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond repute

Fair point FB. Very fair point.

We do often see posts whereby living anywhere else but the US is a nonstarter.
Old Jan 1st 2010, 9:32 am
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Crackles7
I think all that is left to decide is do we want to file for a K-1 and then marry here then a spouse visa to get me back in once the marriage takes place OR go back, apply for the spouse visa and have her come to marry in England. That is where an attorney will help us make the best choice.
Something else that may factor into your decision: Do you have a criminal record? (I don't expect or want you to answer here, it's just a question for yourself)

If so, this may complicate the visa process, so a K-1 may be better, as then you'd only get married once the visa is granted; if you went for the CR-1, you'd get married first. If you then found out that you couldn't enter the USA....well, problems.

If you have no criminal record, it seems like a no brainer to me (providing you are legally able to marry before your 90 days are up). The CR-1 is cheaper, much easier (less paperwork/hassle) and more beneficial (you can live and work permanently from day one upon entry with the visa). It does take a little longer though.

Last edited by BritishGuy36; Jan 1st 2010 at 9:38 am.
Old Jan 1st 2010, 12:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

crosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Crackles7
Thank you all for your advice as it has been both helpful and informative. As I stated in the beginning of this thread, I do NOT intend on staying on after my 90 day departure date. We are both responsible and have had a long journey in just getting this far. To wait several more months to do this on the up and up is not a problem. We have gotten use to saying good bye's at airports. To do one more to be "normal" or "forever" is just fine. We can handle it.

Again, thank you for the information. We will seek an attorney just to be more aware of our situation and the legal way to do things so there is less stress involved. I think all that is left to decide is do we want to file for a K-1 and then marry here then a spouse visa to get me back in once the marriage takes place OR go back, apply for the spouse visa and have her come to marry in England. That is where an attorney will help us make the best choice.

Time will tell ...
Hello ,
I read your thread and this thought came into my mind. Let's assume that your divorce gets through within you 90 days stay and you manage to get married + filing your paperwork in time.

I am not sure if this timeline of events within 90 days will not raise some eye brows with the USCIS and the nasty questions resulting out of this.

I am trying to help you and evaluating your risks. This is my only concern.

But may I am wrong - hopefully your attorney will advise you

Kind regards
CCR
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 9:15 am
Questy Questionson

agentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond repute

Had I known anything about immigration when I met my now husband....I wouldnt have filed for a k-1 but had him come to the US and get married, send him home and then file for the right visa then....

We took the long route... I ended up pregnant before filing for our K-1 he had to come here for a visit and for the birth of our son, then go home while we awaited approval of his K-1... only to have it put in limbo while we gathered insurance and another co-sponser. Took us about 2 additional weeks, but he finally got here...( might I also mention, the IO who let him in JFK was about to NOT let him in ( hearing about the birth of our son led him to think hubby may not go home ) BUT and a big but, my husband happened to have the NOA for the k-1 on him and this gave the IO enough of a nudge to let him in for the visit)

Now we're in the AOS process.

I would like to offer advice, but if I had the chance to do it all over....marry her when her divorce is approved, go home and wait it out to come back...the time goes by rather quickly if you keep yourself busy... Good Luck!

Time line.... July 08 filed for K-1 Granted and in the US by 4/22 09 Married 05/06/2009 filed for AOS 12/28
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 9:33 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
Yes, apparently!

(Actually, broke the law and got away with it, which is not the same as being illegal. But I think I understand what you meant.)

Regards, JEff

Actually you don't know if he broke the law. I don't recall Manc saying he can here with the full intent to marry and remain.