Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Scared - Worried -Taxes- INS Fraud?

Scared - Worried -Taxes- INS Fraud?

Old Sep 11th 2002, 8:52 am
Malcolmetoveres

Default Scared - Worried -Taxes- INS Fraud?

I posted this on another message board and wanted to get the opinions of those on
this board.

This might be complex to explain so bear with me. I am in the process of filing
K1. My fiance is in Russia. I am employed and have a good job. I can show the income
to be able to support her and her children. I have never been in trouble with the
law or have any record. My problem is past due taxes. As if right now I owe over
$115,000 in past due taxes. Some of these taxes go back 7-8 years. Some are as
recent as 4 years. The past 3 years I have paid my taxes on time. The IRS has
sent notices many times that they are ready to levy my assets. My tax attorney
has been able to stop this. I really do not have any assets so to speak. I do not
own a home and my car is leased. I have furnishings and such as well as a small
IRA. There is little they can take from me. I have about $20,000 in credit card
debt. I make around $100,000 a year and the IRS wants payments of close to $3000
a month. I do not have the money to pay off this debt to the IRS. I have tried
to make an offer to the IRS. What they do is take every cent from your pay check
and you leave you enough money for bare minimum. I would be at the poverty level
and would not stand a chance of getting the petition aprooved. Now I face the
reality that I COULD go to jail for tax evasion. To be truthful, I could get my
fiancee and her children to the US and land in jail. Therefore I could no longer
support them. As I fill out this paperwork I know the reality of my situation and
it scares me. Am I committing INS fraud when I state I can support them for the
next 10 years but know what COULD happen to me and my ability to support them? I
am not sure what to do at this point. My fiance does not know anything about this
sitution. Would she and her children be deported if I land in jail?

Old Sep 11th 2002, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

mdmd101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Scared - Worried -Taxes- INS Fraud?

Originally posted by Malcolmetoveres:
I posted this on another message board and wanted to get the opinions of those on
this board.

This might be complex to explain so bear with me. I am in the process of filing
K1. My fiance is in Russia. I am employed and have a good job. I can show the income
to be able to support her and her children. I have never been in trouble with the
law or have any record. My problem is past due taxes. As if right now I owe over
$115,000 in past due taxes. Some of these taxes go back 7-8 years. Some are as
recent as 4 years. The past 3 years I have paid my taxes on time. The IRS has
sent notices many times that they are ready to levy my assets. My tax attorney
has been able to stop this. I really do not have any assets so to speak. I do not
own a home and my car is leased. I have furnishings and such as well as a small
IRA. There is little they can take from me. I have about $20,000 in credit card
debt. I make around $100,000 a year and the IRS wants payments of close to $3000
a month. I do not have the money to pay off this debt to the IRS. I have tried
to make an offer to the IRS. What they do is take every cent from your pay check
and you leave you enough money for bare minimum. I would be at the poverty level
and would not stand a chance of getting the petition aprooved. Now I face the
reality that I COULD go to jail for tax evasion. To be truthful, I could get my
fiancee and her children to the US and land in jail. Therefore I could no longer
support them. As I fill out this paperwork I know the reality of my situation and
it scares me. Am I committing INS fraud when I state I can support them for the
next 10 years but know what COULD happen to me and my ability to support them? I
am not sure what to do at this point. My fiance does not know anything about this
sitution. Would she and her children be deported if I land in jail?
Malcolm:

Invest $1,000 in an immigration lawyer. Be truthful will the INS. If you make 100,000 a year, you should easily be able to pay INS 3,000/month and still MORE THAN QUALIFY for the federal "125% ABOVE POVERTY LINE INCOME." I think the number I filed out in my affidavit of support recently for 1 dependent was 14,250, you have two dependents so you number wouldn't be much higher than this.

Are you doing your math correctly? You make 8,333 per month from which you pay 40% for current year income and social securtiy taxes, this leaves you 5,000 from which you pay IRS $3,000 which leaves you 2,000 per month which is 24,000 per year which is way higher than required by I-864 quidelines.

Also, I'm quessing you're self-employed (that's the only way you owe IRS so much money). If you're self-employed, you have the option of adjusting the quarterly payments you make to IRS and state yourself until you actually file the t/r so you can even adjust your cash flow.

Also, how could you go to jail if you're paying IRS what you owe them unless you deliberately and maliciously didn't pay your taxes with the INTENT to defruad the US government.

THE FACTS YOU'RE STATING ARE SO WISHY WASHY.

MD
Old Sep 12th 2002, 1:12 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Malcolmetoveres:
My fiance does not know anything about this sitution.
Isn't that the bigger issue here?
Old Sep 12th 2002, 2:03 am
Steve

Yes, and why haven't you been paying these past due amounts when you make such a high
income?? Sounds like character issues...get your life together before you include
someone else in this mess.

Good luck. "meauxna" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Originally posted by Malcolmetoveres:
    > > My fiance does not know anything about this sitution.
    > Isn't that the bigger issue here?
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com