Wikiposts

Romania questions.....

Old Apr 30th 2002, 7:40 am
Bob Doyle

Default Romania questions.....

Hello,

I have a friend in Romania.... does anyone know how much harder or if at all it is to
get a Tourist VISA at the US Embassy in Bucharest since 9/11? Also, has anyone
experienced the people that work in the embassy...are they kind, polite or rude to
Romanians?

Thanks, Bob

Old Apr 30th 2002, 12:40 pm
Jeffrey Scharpf

Default Re: Romania questions.....

Bob,

My fiance has had experience at the US Embassy in Romania and this is what I can tell
you. It is VERY difficult to get a visitor visa unless you can show compelling
evidence that you will return to Romania (owning a home, or a business, etc.).. And
things have gotten tighter.. also.. I read on the INS web site that visitor visas
will no longer be 6 months.. they will be "reasonable" times and start at 30 days..
My fiance and I just went through this entire process. She is in Romania. Last year
she applied for a visitor visa to come visit me and they were rude to her, and
rejected her because she was a divorced woman and I was a divorced man, they
suspected that she wasn't going to just visit America, but that she was coming to see
me...so they said "sorry no visa"... So I went to visit her and then I applied for a
fiance visa here.. INS accepted this and she went for another interview (just this
morning in fact).. but this time it was for a fiance visa and they treated her
totally different. They were very polite to her..and she received her visa.. But
of course it's a different kind.. If you're interested, my fiance has had both of
these experiences at the embassy.. I can get you more info if you're interested.

Jeff

My fiance is from Romania "Bob Doyle" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a friend in Romania.... does anyone know how much harder or if at
all
    > it is to get a Tourist VISA at the US Embassy in Bucharest since 9/11? Also, has
    > anyone experienced the people that work in the embassy...are
they
    > kind, polite or rude to Romanians?
    >
    > Thanks, Bob

Old Apr 30th 2002, 2:10 pm
Mrtravel

Jeffrey Scharpf wrote:
    >
    > Last year she applied for a visitor visa to come visit me and they were rude to
    > her, and rejected her because she was a divorced woman and I was a divorced man,
    > they suspected that she wasn't going to just visit America, but that she was coming
    > to see me...so they said "sorry no visa"...

Are you saying they were rude to her, but she really was lying to them? So, maybe
there was a reason for the rudeness. The issue really isn't that she was coming to
see you, it was whether they felt she was going to return. Many people have
received tourist from the former Warsaw Pact countries and have NOT returned.
Obviously, with the K-1, they don't expect you to return, so there is not reason
for them to worry about it.

Old May 1st 2002, 10:10 am
Jeffrey Scharpf

"mrtravel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Jeffrey Scharpf wrote:
    > >
    > > Last year she applied for a visitor visa to come visit me and they were
rude
    > > to her, and rejected her because she was a divorced woman and I was a divorced
    > > man, they suspected that she wasn't going to just visit
America,
    > > but that she was coming to see me...so they said "sorry no visa"...
    >
    > Are you saying they were rude to her, but she really was lying to them? So, maybe
    > there was a reason for the rudeness. The issue really isn't that she was coming to
    > see you, it was whether they felt she was going to return. Many people have
    > received tourist from the former Warsaw Pact countries and have NOT returned.
    > Obviously, with the K-1, they don't expect you to return, so there is not reason
    > for them to worry about it.

No, she never lied about anything. She wanted to visit me. She had to return. They
just didn't believe her.