Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Rockgurl's London Embassy Interview Experience (Green card)

Wikiposts

Rockgurl's London Embassy Interview Experience (Green card)

Old Oct 15th 2003, 7:21 am
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Rockgurl's London Embassy Interview Experience (Green card)

Ok...so I was a little keen. Appointment at 08:00 and I arrived at 7:30 but at least I was on time! There was already a queue and I had to ask a brusque but amusing liitle man who looked like Dame Edna with no make-up if I needed to queue. I was told yes so I joined the queue which was about 20 people long. Eventually a line manager came around and asked to see everyone's letter. He separated the immigrant and non-immigrant applicants. Had an amusing moment when a woman in one of the other queues knocked over the "Queue Here" sign. I joked with the people next to me that she'd blown it...no visa for her! I said they send people to Guantanemo Bay for that sort of thing! LOL. We immigrant applicants got to enter first. I didn't bother bringing a mobile phone as you have to leave it at reception, and you need to go through a metal detector and x-ray machine just like at the airport.

We went upstairs and there were a load of chairs and 6 or so booths at angles to each other. Only thing I can liken it to was when I used to sign on in the 80's as a workshy teenager! Only these guys were a lot more efficient. We all had to report to the first booth on our way in and hand in our appointment letter. There was a bit of a kerfuffle with the guy in front of me because he had turned up with an interpreter but had written on the form that he spoke English, so they kept asking him if he spoke English but he didn't understand the question! LOL. Oops! We sat down and about 10 minutes later I was called up to booth 4. The nice phillipino lady kept yawning and telling me how tired she was because she didn't get any sleep last night. I told her I was suffering from the same afflication! She asked for my birth certificate, divorce certificate, application form, visascreen certificate, police check, passport and photos. I had attached a copy of everything, but for some reason I didn't have a copy of my visascreen...it didn't ask for one on the appointment letter. She said no problem and went and did it for me. She asked me to sign the photos and put them in a little plastic envelope. She told me to take a seat again. 15 minutes later I was called to booth 6 to see an American guy who asked me to swear an oath. He asked me to sign a few different things, like application form and a promise to take up my job on arrival, and then made a quip that I was the last English nurse leaving England! I told him, yup...there's no-one left after me! They've all gone to America! He said everything was in order and that I should go straight to the doctors and that I won't have to come back until 1pm. It was only 9.30am! I did not have to show my court records, or my deed poll despite my birth certificate being in a different name to my passport, and they never mentioned that I had ticked yes to the criminal convictions bit. I had put down that I had minor traffic violations and had been arrested x 1 but released without charge. Never mentioned it. Police check was clear so I guess it didn't matter. It was the one thing I really badly worried about and I needn't have!

I walked to the doctors which is only 5-10 minutes away. They were all very efficient and I didn't have to wait long at all. It seemed that I kept getting called first for everything! I paid my fee and then put all my documents in the plastic folder given to me. When I was told to go downstairs I remembered to put my folder in the plastic trays on the wall like everyone told me. There was only one other girl down there...also a nurse. The nurse took my blood and then I was called to see the radiologist. Everybody seemed to know what was needed, even though I have special requirements because I'm a nurse. I need to have a written report for my x-ray stating I don't have active TB, and another form signed by my company. No problem at all. They were very familiar with my company and knew exactly what was needed. The radiologist called me into a booth no bigger than a phone box with a slatted wooden door through which you could see everything! It reminds me of that lady we had on the board recently who couldn't go through the visa process because she was terrified of being exposed and examined by the doctor. Well maybe her fears were grounded because all dignity went out of the window. We had to strip to the waist and put on a paper sleeveless gown and then go and have an x-ray which was over in a minute. Then we could go through and see the doctor...an elderly and pleasant gentleman (not Dr Phelan). He checked all my blood tests and said I didn't need any shots, took my blood pressure and looked in my eyes and ears. I told him I hoped my blood pressure wasn't too high as I was a bit stressed that day but apparently it was only 120/60...result! Then I had to lie down on the examination couch and the doctor examined my abdomen and breasts to check for lumps. Don't worry, as there's a female chaperone present. It only lasted a second. Then it was back out to get dressed again and before I even had my clothes on they had come out with the forms and x-ray...all done! Everyone was so efficient and helpful.

Out I went but it was only 10am and I had 3 hours to kill. I was right on Oxford Street and thought yep...shopping! Went and had something to eat in Pret a Manger and then hit the stores but only got to 2 and started to flag. I'd only had 4 hours sleep for 2 consecutive nights and I was starting to drag so I went into Marks & Spencers Cafe Revive to sit quietly and read a book...very quiet and civilized! Made my way back to the embassy at 12:30 and saw an even bigger queue than in the morning. I went straight in and had to endure jealous stares from those queuing...sorry! Made my way upstairs and sat down. There were a few more people but no-one took to the booths until after 1pm. First guy up was the same guy from before who had brought the interpreter that he didn't need! Couldn't help but overhear the conversation and apparently his birth date was completely different on 2 different documents! Not only that but the dates were 10 years apart! Oops again! Then...bloomer number 3...he had applied for his police check in his first name not his surname so of course it wasn't acceptable as the search was then in a different identity. Oops number 3! Honestly, do people not read their forms or what? Obviously he wasn't getting a visa that day. Anyway, after a while I was the next person called up (my luck!) and there was another guy at the booth this time and there it was...my visa!!! He apologized for the delay (what delay?) and gave me instructions on what to do and then it was done. I took the envelelope and walked out, very slowly and deliberately taking my time as I felt my bottom lip start to quiver! LOL. I made it to the call box and called my girlfriend and then all the stress and tension came flooding out and I howled like a baby. It's over! No more apprehension or worrying or waiting! I have my visa, I can pack, order my car and choose an apartment. This has been the hardest and most difficult thing I have ever done, since the moment I decided to go for it, took on my London ICU job and started studying for my NCLEX exam. If I never even managed to set foot past the point of entry I will still feel like I've achieved something enormous. What a trip. Two long years to get a visa...insane! It feels like the end of something and now it's time for a new adventure. Instead of feeling like a jaded 36 year old I feel like a teenager about to embark on life with fresh eyes. I plan to take up horseriding again, get a Harley Davidson, learn to shoot, and go mountain biking in the desert. Can't wait! After having my life on hold for 3 years I can finally start to live again!
Old Oct 15th 2003, 7:38 am
Mummy and baby 1982

Maggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rockgurl's London Embassy Interview Experience (Green card)

Originally posted by Rockgurl
Ok...so I was a little keen. Appointment at 08:00 and I arrived at 7:30 but at least I was on time! There was already a queue and I had to ask a brusque but amusing liitle man who looked like Dame Edna with no make-up if I needed to queue. I was told yes so I joined the queue which was about 20 people long. Eventually a line manager came around and asked to see everyone's letter. He separated the immigrant and non-immigrant applicants. Had an amusing moment when a woman in one of the other queues knocked over the "Queue Here" sign. I joked with the people next to me that she'd blown it...no visa for her! I said they send people to Guantanemo Bay for that sort of thing! LOL. We immigrant applicants got to enter first. I didn't bother bringing a mobile phone as you have to leave it at reception, and you need to go through a metal detector and x-ray machine just like at the airport.

We went upstairs and there were a load of chairs and 6 or so booths at angles to each other. Only thing I can liken it to was when I used to sign on in the 80's as a workshy teenager! Only these guys were a lot more efficient. We all had to report to the first booth on our way in and hand in our appointment letter. There was a bit of a kerfuffle with the guy in front of me because he had turned up with an interpreter but had written on the form that he spoke English, so they kept asking him if he spoke English but he didn't understand the question! LOL. Oops! We sat down and about 10 minutes later I was called up to booth 4. The nice phillipino lady kept yawning and telling me how tired she was because she didn't get any sleep last night. I told her I was suffering from the same afflication! She asked for my birth certificate, divorce certificate, application form, visascreen certificate, police check, passport and photos. I had attached a copy of everything, but for some reason I didn't have a copy of my visascreen...it didn't ask for one on the appointment letter. She said no problem and went and did it for me. She asked me to sign the photos and put them in a little plastic envelope. She told me to take a seat again. 15 minutes later I was called to booth 6 to see an American guy who asked me to swear an oath. He asked me to sign a few different things, like application form and a promise to take up my job on arrival, and then made a quip that I was the last English nurse leaving England! I told him, yup...there's no-one left after me! They've all gone to America! He said everything was in order and that I should go straight to the doctors and that I won't have to come back until 1pm. It was only 9.30am! I did not have to show my court records, or my deed poll despite my birth certificate being in a different name to my passport, and they never mentioned that I had ticked yes to the criminal convictions bit. I had put down that I had minor traffic violations and had been arrested x 1 but released without charge. Never mentioned it. Police check was clear so I guess it didn't matter. It was the one thing I really badly worried about and I needn't have!

I walked to the doctors which is only 5-10 minutes away. They were all very efficient and I didn't have to wait long at all. It seemed that I kept getting called first for everything! I paid my fee and then put all my documents in the plastic folder given to me. When I was told to go downstairs I remembered to put my folder in the plastic trays on the wall like everyone told me. There was only one other girl down there...also a nurse. The nurse took my blood and then I was called to see the radiologist. Everybody seemed to know what was needed, even though I have special requirements because I'm a nurse. I need to have a written report for my x-ray stating I don't have active TB, and another form signed by my company. No problem at all. They were very familiar with my company and knew exactly what was needed. The radiologist called me into a booth no bigger than a phone box with a slatted wooden door through which you could see everything! It reminds me of that lady we had on the board recently who couldn't go through the visa process because she was terrified of being exposed and examined by the doctor. Well maybe her fears were grounded because all dignity went out of the window. We had to strip to the waist and put on a paper sleeveless gown and then go and have an x-ray which was over in a minute. Then we could go through and see the doctor...an elderly and pleasant gentleman (not Dr Phelan). He checked all my blood tests and said I didn't need any shots, took my blood pressure and looked in my eyes and ears. I told him I hoped my blood pressure wasn't too high as I was a bit stressed that day but apparently it was only 120/60...result! Then I had to lie down on the examination couch and the doctor examined my abdomen and breasts to check for lumps. Don't worry, as there's a female chaperone present. It only lasted a second. Then it was back out to get dressed again and before I even had my clothes on they had come out with the forms and x-ray...all done! Everyone was so efficient and helpful.

Out I went but it was only 10am and I had 3 hours to kill. I was right on Oxford Street and thought yep...shopping! Went and had something to eat in Pret a Manger and then hit the stores but only got to 2 and started to flag. I'd only had 4 hours sleep for 2 consecutive nights and I was starting to drag so I went into Marks & Spencers Cafe Revive to sit quietly and read a book...very quiet and civilized! Made my way back to the embassy at 12:30 and saw an even bigger queue than in the morning. I went straight in and had to endure jealous stares from those queuing...sorry! Made my way upstairs and sat down. There were a few more people but no-one took to the booths until after 1pm. First guy up was the same guy from before who had brought the interpreter that he didn't need! Couldn't help but overhear the conversation and apparently his birth date was completely different on 2 different documents! Not only that but the dates were 10 years apart! Oops again! Then...bloomer number 3...he had applied for his police check in his first name not his surname so of course it wasn't acceptable as the search was then in a different identity. Oops number 3! Honestly, do people not read their forms or what? Obviously he wasn't getting a visa that day. Anyway, after a while I was the next person called up (my luck!) and there was another guy at the booth this time and there it was...my visa!!! He apologized for the delay (what delay?) and gave me instructions on what to do and then it was done. I took the envelelope and walked out, very slowly and deliberately taking my time as I felt my bottom lip start to quiver! LOL. I made it to the call box and called my girlfriend and then all the stress and tension came flooding out and I howled like a baby. It's over! No more apprehension or worrying or waiting! I have my visa, I can pack, order my car and choose an apartment. This has been the hardest and most difficult thing I have ever done, since the moment I decided to go for it, took on my London ICU job and started studying for my NCLEX exam. If I never even managed to set foot past the point of entry I will still feel like I've achieved something enormous. What a trip. Two long years to get a visa...insane! It feels like the end of something and now it's time for a new adventure. Instead of feeling like a jaded 36 year old I feel like a teenager about to embark on life with fresh eyes. I plan to take up horseriding again, get a Harley Davidson, learn to shoot, and go mountain biking in the desert. Can't wait! After having my life on hold for 3 years I can finally start to live again!
Hi Rockgurl

That was a lovely post. Well done. Start living!

Maggie
Old Oct 15th 2003, 7:51 am
Just around the next bend

dbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations Rockgurl!!! Wonderful news!
Of course, we all knew you'd do it .... when are you flying out?

Debbie
Old Oct 15th 2003, 7:51 am
Forum Regular

SueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond repute

CONGRATULATIONS ROCKGURL - Good luck with your new life - both you and your partner...
Old Oct 15th 2003, 7:55 am
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks to all of you! DBark, I hope to leave end of November but I just have to wait and see when my company can book me a flight and find me somewhere to live. Only 6 weeks away!
Old Oct 15th 2003, 5:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

BeachBunny is an unknown quantity at this point

Good luck on your new adventure in life!!!

Laura :PARTY:
Old Oct 16th 2003, 12:38 am
BE Enthusiast

whatever will become famous soon enoughwhatever will become famous soon enough

Awwwwwww! gulp - I couldn't help but 'well-up' reading your post! I'm so VERY VERY pleased for you and I'm so glad you didn't have any complications. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Oct 16th 2003, 1:00 am
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Congrats

CONGRATULATIONS!!! WELL DONE!!! :PARTY: :PARTY:
ENJOY YOUR NEW LIFE!!!!
Let us know when you are flying out!!