Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Rights to work of an LPR vs USC

Wikiposts

Rights to work of an LPR vs USC

Old Aug 29th 2011, 5:59 am
Just Joined

nocturnal_tick is a jewel in the roughnocturnal_tick is a jewel in the roughnocturnal_tick is a jewel in the roughnocturnal_tick is a jewel in the rough
Default Rights to work of an LPR vs USC

I think I got that title right and I hope this is a suitable place to discuss it. There is a slight possibility that a marriage based visa might be open to me in the future but before that can even be thought about seriously we need to know that I would be able to be financially secure.

Currently I am a qualified teacher and getting a work based visa is very limited by the current economical climate and the fact that any position would be based on whether there would be US citizens suitable for the position.

But if I were to become a LPR through marriage, does that remove said priority or am I still second to US citizens?

Thanks
Old Aug 29th 2011, 6:04 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rights to work of an LPR vs USC

Originally Posted by nocturnal_tick
I think I got that title right and I hope this is a suitable place to discuss it. There is a slight possibility that a marriage based visa might be open to me in the future but before that can even be thought about seriously we need to know that I would be able to be financially secure.

Currently I am a qualified teacher and getting a work based visa is very limited by the current economical climate and the fact that any position would be based on whether there would be US citizens suitable for the position.

But if I were to become a LPR through marriage, does that remove said priority or am I still second to US citizens?

Thanks
Gosh, that didn't take you long, did it

Employers are not supposed to discriminate against non-USCs who are authorised to work, but I'm sure they still do.

That said, you'd need to be accredited in the state where you'd wish to teach.
Old Aug 29th 2011, 6:07 am
Just Joined

nocturnal_tick is a jewel in the roughnocturnal_tick is a jewel in the roughnocturnal_tick is a jewel in the roughnocturnal_tick is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Elvira
Gosh, that didn't take you long, did it

Employers are not supposed to discriminate against non-USCs who are authorised to work, but I'm sure they still do.

That said, you'd need to be accredited in the state where you'd wish to teach.
I have a friend, that would be more than a friend if I weren't 3000 miles away
But I need to show I can make good on being a supportive partner before anything.
Old Aug 29th 2011, 7:02 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

If you are authorized to work, you're authorized to work. It is illegal for an employer to ask you anything other than "Are you authorized to work in the US?" That simple yes/no answer is the same for everyone... whether they have an EAD, or whether they're a PR or USC.

A USC doesn't have more rights than a PR with respect to work, although eligibility for a specific job might come into play if the job requires the applicant to be a USC (usually for security reasons or the job is for a branch of the Federal government).

I need to show I can make good on being a supportive partner before anything.
Perhaps for your future partner, but not for US immigration purposes!

Ian
Old Aug 29th 2011, 7:23 am
Just Joined

Thanks a lot elvira and ian-mstm That's cheered me up a little bit.
Old Aug 29th 2011, 9:20 am
Yes, I know i'm awesome.

ljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond repute

You will need a teachers license for the state you wish to teach in, this will require exams, and possibly your exisiting qualifications being evaluated (at extortionate cost to you!!).
Old Aug 29th 2011, 9:30 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ljaw2002uk
You will need a teachers license for the state you wish to teach in, this will require exams, and possibly your exisiting qualifications being evaluated (at extortionate cost to you!!).
I have been told that my current qualifications will grant me a one year "emergency" licence, while I take the necessary exams. And yes, I'm prepared for being ripped off. They don't call it a green card for nothing.
Old Aug 29th 2011, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

Married2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond repute

My husband was very well paid as a teacher in the UK as he had over 10 years of experience. He sent out hundreds of resumes once he got here (K1 with EAD, etc). Never got one interview. WES used to charge outrageous amounts to "translate" qualifications (they have since come down in price). When we were investigating it over 8 years ago it was well over $600 and our state was one of 5 that did not accept WES translations. He now is a driver's license examiner and makes about 1/4 of what he did in the UK.
Old Aug 29th 2011, 10:04 am
Yes, I know i'm awesome.

ljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond repute

My wife is a teacher here in MN, she qualified in the UK, and it's been a nightmare to get her qualifications translated!
Old Aug 29th 2011, 11:48 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Married2abrit
When we were investigating it over 8 years ago it was well over $600 and our state was one of 5 that did not accept WES translations.
How do you find out which states accept WES translations?
Old Aug 30th 2011, 12:18 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

How do you find out which states accept WES translations?
There's no list - if that's what you mean. You'll have to ask wherever you apply. That said, don't waste either your time or your money getting your qualifications translated until such time as you actually get an interview.

In fact, here's something that most people don't think of, but it's something I did when I moved to the US. I was a high school teacher for 13 years before moving to the US on a K-1. I contacted the Kentucky Department of Education and asked them to evaluate my qualifications... which they did... at no charge.

Ian

Last edited by ian-mstm; Aug 30th 2011 at 12:22 am.