Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Rights of non - American wife!

Wikiposts

Rights of non - American wife!

Old Aug 26th 2007, 12:25 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rights of non - American wife!

Originally Posted by amyalta
We're coming to US in less than 2 months - why can I not come in under tourist visa & then apply for whatever is needed?

You are not coming to the US in 2 months. Your husband and your children are but you are remaining in the UK.

The US has an immigration process, just as the UK does, for spouses. The one big difference is timeframe for getting the visa to immigrate. It is going to take you from 3 to 6 months to get your Immediate Relative Visa through the USCIS office and the US Consulate in London.

The link Ray has given you will give you the outline of what your husband has to do, i.e. file form I-130 with the US Consulate/USCIS in London. From there you will need to gather your documentation, have your medical and appear for an interview at the London Consulate. If approved you can then come to the US.

Remember to enter the US without the IR-1 means you have committed fraud when you enter the US because you have clear and now publicly announced immigration intent.
Old Aug 26th 2007, 12:28 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amyalta
Within 'there' rights? Do you mean 'their?'

So - they let in all kids of riff raff but I can be sent back, torn from my childen and husband? What a situation!

Hope that is only anger speaking and not a very bigotted lady.
Old Aug 26th 2007, 1:34 pm
J. J. Farrell

On Aug 26, 7:01 pm, amyalta <[email protected]>
wrote:
> > GC = Green Card
> > DCF = Direct Consular Filing
>
> So - does this mean I have to apply for the right to go live in US with
> my US husband & the 2 US kids I have raised?

Yes.

> If so, just how long does this take, and why, may one ask, is it not as
> it is in UK, where a spouse has an automatic right?

Because the USA is a different country from the UK. Laws passed in
England since 1776 have no influence on the USA.

> It sounds to me as though I, married (in Chicago) to a US citizen for 16
> years, and a professional person bringing some $600,000 into the
> country, have just about the same rights as the illiterate, state-
> supported Indian fiance of a Pole!

Poles' fiances have no particular rights in the USA; you have the same
rights as them, but as the wife of a USA citizen it's vastly easier
for you to immigrate to the USA.

> We're coming to US in less than 2 months

You're going to the border in less than 2 months to ask to be
admitted; the way you're going it sounds likely that you'll be refused
entry.

> why can I not come in under
> tourist visa & then apply for whatever is needed?

Because the USA government expects you to abide by USA law when you
are in the USA.

Old Aug 26th 2007, 1:38 pm
J. J. Farrell

On Aug 26, 7:18 pm, amyalta <[email protected]>
wrote:
> > Simply because thats not the way the systems works
> > you apply as the site I gave you ..instructed ...
> > when its all sorted ..you will arrive with a green card waiting for
> > you ..
> > and a SSN .. and in three years you can get your citizeship ...
> > and your done...
>
> > Having a few bob ..gives you no right ....
> > No good moaning about the system you just have to follow it
>
> Well, yes, sometimes one has to moan! It's ludicrous, simply ludicrous!
> I am horrified by what you tell me

It is vastly easier, vastly, for you to immigrate to the USA as the
spouse of a USA citizen than almost everyone else on earth. If that's
what you want to do, be grateful for your good fortune.

> - and having money sure ought to
> make a difference!

Why?

> Why should the US have to support anyone?

It doesn't.

> So am I to be separated from my family whilst I go through this?

That's up to you and your family.

Old Aug 26th 2007, 1:43 pm
J. J. Farrell

On Aug 26, 7:53 pm, amyalta <[email protected]>
wrote:
> > Dont go through the same line as your family then, they are well
> > within there rights to put you on the next plane home, not looking
> > good at all is it
>
> Within 'there' rights? Do you mean 'their?'
>
> So - they let in all kids of riff raff but I can be sent back, torn from
> my childen and husband? What a situation!

Letting the husband and kids in but sending the riff-raff back seems
reasonable to me. If you want to reduce the risk of being sent back,
abide by the law.

Old Aug 27th 2007, 3:40 am
Forum Regular

newton817 will become famous soon enough

I very much doubt that she is taking the information in, the kind people on this site have told her the correct procedures, but more than likely she would rather hear " yes because you have money the USA will grant her everything she wants. she doesn't have to wait like the rest of us, she is an exception to all the "riff raff". god if that was the case i'm damn sure the US would have a society of unreasonable people and a place where ordinary people would not want to be anyway. I hope that maybe by listening to people on this site, and the way most people don't tolerate her characteristic nature she maybe will become a better and less bitter person. Paul
Old Aug 27th 2007, 5:21 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by newton817
I very much doubt that she is taking the information in, the kind people on this site have told her the correct procedures, but more than likely she would rather hear " yes because you have money the USA will grant her everything she wants. she doesn't have to wait like the rest of us, she is an exception to all the "riff raff". god if that was the case i'm damn sure the US would have a society of unreasonable people and a place where ordinary people would not want to be anyway. I hope that maybe by listening to people on this site, and the way most people don't tolerate her characteristic nature she maybe will become a better and less bitter person. Paul
probably not
Old Aug 27th 2007, 5:29 am
I love Marmite, she don't

franc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to behold

Shame, she deleted her account. I was going to give her some advice:-

A. She is really close to being permanent in the USA through GC.
B. She could travel to Mexico and live in a luxury hotel on the US/Mexico border. Her family (kids/hubby), can fly over cheaply any time they want. She'd have to fly back for interview but hey, no big deal. Make sure lawyers do your paperwork as making mistakes will cost time.
C. She gets a great vacation in the SUN
D. Even if her husband pegs it, or they divorce, they have been married so long, her green card (GC) would be safe (her original question).
E. Schools arelady started so I'd take the kids to mexico with me. Besides, they'll have a 2 year jump on US kids, same grade !!

Look at the positives... Like this one...

How to make the Green Card process easier
Old Aug 27th 2007, 5:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by franc111s
Shame, she deleted her account. I was going to give her some advice:-

A. She is really close to being permanent in the USA through GC.
B. She could travel to Mexico and live in a luxury hotel on the US/Mexico border. Her family (kids/hubby), can fly over cheaply any time they want. She'd have to fly back for interview but hey, no big deal. Make sure lawyers do your paperwork as making mistakes will cost time.
C. She gets a great vacation in the SUN
D. Even if her husband pegs it, or they divorce, they have been married so long, her green card (GC) would be safe (her original question).
E. Schools arelady started so I'd take the kids to mexico with me. Besides, they'll have a 2 year jump on US kids, same grade !!

Look at the positives... Like this one...

How to make the Green Card process easier
Has she, oh well sometimes the truth is a bitter pill to swallow.
Old Aug 27th 2007, 8:05 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Ayuh.
Mister should apply for his UK citizenship, so it will be easier for him to move back over when all this goes in the crapper.

OTOH, if they're moving to Texas, she might just fit in.
HEY!?!!!!??!!
Old Aug 27th 2007, 8:29 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
HEY!?!!!!??!!
hunh? What? Did *I* say that?
<g>

I'm sure it's a very lovely place.