Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Rights of non - American wife!

Wikiposts

Rights of non - American wife!

Old Aug 26th 2007, 4:52 am
amyalta

Default Rights of non - American wife!

Hi, just joined & hoping for some helpful advice! My husband and I and our 2 kids (15, 9) are about to move from London, UK to near Houston, Texas - he is American, born in Chicago but lived 30 years here, and the kids are also US citizens with US passports etc. I however am a Brit, born in London. Our move is not a job one, it comes from the fact that he has been made redundant here, we have good money from the sale of our house here & we just want to move to where houses are wonderfully cheap!All our family are in the US, mostly in Texas, with one of his sisters just 35 mins. from where we would live.

My question is this - what would happen to me if, say, eighteen months after our move, my husband were to die? I hate to even think of it, but he's a middle aged overweight male etc... I would have 2 American kids, both in American schools - but I would still have no rights. Would I be deported, or would I be able to continue with my life in the US?

This may sound daft to you, and he & family say 'Of course they'd have to let you stay' but US Embassy is vague, but I am basing things on the shi*** why I am treated when I visit to US with my American husband & kids (You do know you're an alien, don't you? You do realize that you will never have the right to be a Citizen, don't you? You do understand that you can NEVER work here, don't you?) after having queued for 2 hours ... maybe you can forgive my fears?

Of course I conduct myself with abject meekness at customs (Oh yes, Myron / Byron / Bubba / Consuela / Gonzalvo, I do realize that..)

Old Aug 26th 2007, 5:16 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rights of non - American wife!

You presumably have sorted out you GC with the consulate already
using DCF ...
Old Aug 26th 2007, 5:34 am
amyalta

Ray - please could you explain what you are talking about? GC? DCF?

Old Aug 26th 2007, 5:48 am
Greatly Missed. RIP

DollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amyalta
Ray - please could you explain what you are talking about? GC? DCF?
GC = Green Card
DCF = Direct Consular Filing
Old Aug 26th 2007, 5:50 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

We sre presuming you have applied for the appropiate paperwork or somrthing at the consulate before you leave the UK ...

Have you done this???

DCF explained here
http://www.visajourney.com/forums/in...ustom&page=dcf

Last edited by Ray; Aug 26th 2007 at 5:54 am.
Old Aug 26th 2007, 6:01 am
amyalta

So - does this mean I have to apply for the right to go live in US with my US husband & the 2 US kids I have raised?

If so, just how long does this take, and why, may one ask, is it not as it is in UK, where a spouse has an automatic right?

It sounds to me as though I, married (in Chicago) to a US citizen for 16 years, and a professional person bringing some $600,000 into the country, have just about the same rights as the illiterate, state-supported Indian fiance of a Pole!

We're coming to US in less than 2 months - why can I not come in under tourist visa & then apply for whatever is needed?

Old Aug 26th 2007, 6:13 am
Ray

So - does this mean I have to apply for the right to go live in US with my US husband & the 2 US kids I have raised?

If so, just how long does this take, and why, may one ask, is it not as it is in UK, where a spouse has an automatic right?

It sounds to me as though I, married (in Chicago) to a US citizen for 16 years, and a professional person bringing some $600,000 into the country, have just about the same rights as the illiterate, state-supported Indian fiance of a Pole!

We're coming to US in less than 2 months - why can I not come in under tourist visa & then apply for whatever is needed?
Simply because thats not the way the systems works
you apply as the site I gave you ..instructed ...
when its all sorted ..you will arrive with a green card waiting for you ..
and a SSN .. and in three years you can get your citizeship ...
and your done...

Having a few bob ..gives you no right ....
No good moaning about the system you just have to follow it
Old Aug 26th 2007, 6:18 am
amyalta

Well, yes, sometimes one has to moan! It's ludicrous, simply ludicrous! I am horrified by what you tell me - and having money sure ought to make a difference! Why should the US have to support anyone?

So am I to be separated from my family whilst I go through this?

Old Aug 26th 2007, 6:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

you could delay the journey until all is sorted
Old Aug 26th 2007, 6:26 am
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light

...why, may one ask, is it not as it is in UK, where a spouse has an automatic right?
It's no different to enter the UK these days as a spouse, (though much quicker to get a visa) than it is to enter the US as a spouse - quite a change from when your husband settled in the UK all those years ago.
Old Aug 26th 2007, 6:31 am
amyalta

My house is sold, new owners want to move in in 7 weeks, my kids need to start their new schools... any useful ideas, as opposed to things that are impossible?

I am told that people in my position have in the past entered on tourist visas and then applied for residency whilst extending that...

http://www.workpermit.com/us/family_visas/spouse.htm

Old Aug 26th 2007, 6:41 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

My house is sold, new owners want to move in in 7 weeks, my kids need to start their new schools... any useful ideas, as opposed to things that are impossible?

I am told that people in my position have in the past entered on tourist visas and then applied for residency whilst extending that...

Did you even read that link? It answers your question right there...

I wonder if on re-reading your own psts here that you don't think some of your past problem might not be to do with your attitude/understanding?
Is it possible there are some things you don't know?
Old Aug 26th 2007, 6:41 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, just joined & hoping for some helpful advice! My husband and I and our 2 kids (15, 9) are about to move from London, UK to near Houston, Texas - he is American, born in Chicago but lived 30 years here, and the kids are also US citizens with US passports etc. I however am a Brit, born in London. Our move is not a job one, it comes from the fact that he has been made redundant here, we have good money from the sale of our house here & we just want to move to where houses are wonderfully cheap!All our family are in the US, mostly in Texas, with one of his sisters just 35 mins. from where we would live.

My question is this - what would happen to me if, say, eighteen months after our move, my husband were to die? I hate to even think of it, but he's a middle aged overweight male etc... I would have 2 American kids, both in American schools - but I would still have no rights. Would I be deported, or would I be able to continue with my life in the US?

This may sound daft to you, and he & family say 'Of course they'd have to let you stay' but US Embassy is vague, but I am basing things on the shi*** why I am treated when I visit to US with my American husband & kids (You do know you're an alien, don't you? You do realize that you will never have the right to be a Citizen, don't you? You do understand that you can NEVER work here, don't you?) after having queued for 2 hours ... maybe you can forgive my fears?

Of course I conduct myself with abject meekness at customs (Oh yes, Myron / Byron / Bubba / Consuela / Gonzalvo, I do realize that..)
Here's what you want to do:

Go to the marriage forum (these boards) and find out how to DCF out of London. Then do it all. It's a relatively easy trip for USCIS.

Then when you arrive and go through secondary at the airport, you're a permanent resident. If husband pegs it while lifting the luggage off the carousel, you're still a permanent resident.

However, as a permanent resident, you still need to follow certain rules to stay here: live here most of the times, don't get caught shoplifting or smoking weed, etc.

If husband makes it to the 3 year minus 90 day mark (vitamin supplement maybe?) put in your application for naturalization. Takes about 6 months and then you're a citizen and pretty well inviolate unless some neocon twat declares you an enemy combatant. If he pegs out beforehand, you've gotta wait till the 5 year minus 90 day mark.
Old Aug 26th 2007, 6:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Dont go through the same line as your family then, they are well within there rights to put you on the next plane home, not looking good at all is it
Old Aug 26th 2007, 6:51 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Not all Indians are illiterate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.