Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

RFEd - CIS needs a statement.

RFEd - CIS needs a statement.

Old Aug 21st 2007, 5:12 pm
Forum Regular

wildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to all
Default RFEd - CIS needs a statement.

So I received something from CIS today - an RFE.

Its a bluish green piece of paper, which mentions that this is an RFE and they want me to respond by the 7th of November, with the evidence. On the next page, they have asked for evidence but apparently the evidence is a statement that they need from me. They have also sent a small envelope with their address, so I am pretty sure thats all that they are looking for.

It mentions that I filed the I-751 with a waiver and asks for a "statement" from me, to explain the conditions surrounding the termination of the marriage and any efforts made by me to save the marriage.

And then it mentions that the decision to approve or deny would depend on the evidence that I provide.

Right now, I am a little unsure of what to make of this. They have not asked me for any other evidence, like bills, tax returns, affidavits, etc, just a statement from me.

Anyone received an RFE like this?

Last edited by wildestkabs; Aug 21st 2007 at 5:34 pm.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 6:00 pm
Forum Regular

lulu204 has much to be proud oflulu204 has much to be proud oflulu204 has much to be proud oflulu204 has much to be proud oflulu204 has much to be proud oflulu204 has much to be proud oflulu204 has much to be proud oflulu204 has much to be proud oflulu204 has much to be proud oflulu204 has much to be proud oflulu204 has much to be proud of
Default Re: RFEd - CIS needs a statement.

hmmmm - interesting. Wildest, so sorry to make you go over this again but what did you send them in the way of evidence in the first place? And do you mind me asking your country of origin?

Re. the statement - I would take that to mean exactly as you've described - a sworn statement (probably best to get it notorised just to be safe) detailing the circumstances of your separation and subsequent divorce....it sounds like this request is just a formality....? Also, did you send any pics with your initial package?

I am sure the moderators on here might be more familiar with this kind of request however....

Wishing you the best of British....!

Originally Posted by wildestkabs

Its a bluish green piece of paper, which mentions that this is an RFE and they want me to respond by the 7th of November, with the evidence. On the next page, they have asked for evidence but apparently the evidence is a statement that they need from me. They have also sent a small envelope with their address, so I am pretty sure thats all that they are looking for.

It mentions that I filed the I-751 with a waiver and asks for a "statement" from me, to explain the conditions surrounding the termination of the marriage and any efforts made by me to save the marriage.

And then it mentions that the decision to approve or deny would depend on the evidence that I provide.

Right now, I am a little unsure of what to make of this. They have not asked me for any other evidence, like bills, tax returns, affidavits, etc, just a statement from me.

Old Aug 21st 2007, 6:02 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

I think a one-time consultation with an experienced immigration attorney would be a REALLY good idea...

You do not want to mess this up!
Old Aug 21st 2007, 6:07 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Totally different scenario here, but a friend of mine received an RFE on her I-129F petition. The RFE asked her to write a statement describing why there was a discrepancy in her name among the various evidence she turned in. They did not want any further evidence, they only wanted a statement from her describing her name changes over the years. She wrote a few paragraphs, sent it back, and got approved.

I realize this is for I-751, not I-129F, but it's my idea that they only want to see something in writing from you describing the course of events.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Aug 21st 2007, 6:11 pm
Forum Regular

wildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Elvira
I think a one-time consultation with an experienced immigration attorney would be a REALLY good idea...

You do not want to mess this up!
Those were my exact thoughts. It seems that they will base the decision of whether to approve or deny based on what I write, or more importantly, how I write it. Even though I have good writing skills, I am still going to run this by some attorneys.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 6:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I realize this is for I-751, not I-129F, but it's my idea that they only want to see something in writing from you describing the course of events.
Thats what I am hoping for as well. My gut says that they probably accepted the evidence that I had, since they have not asked for any additional evidence.

I have to respond by November 7th, I am going to send this thing out in 2 weeks.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lulu204
hmmmm - interesting. Wildest, so sorry to make you go over this again but what did you send them in the way of evidence in the first place? And do you mind me asking your country of origin?

Re. the statement - I would take that to mean exactly as you've described - a sworn statement (probably best to get it notorised just to be safe) detailing the circumstances of your separation and subsequent divorce....it sounds like this request is just a formality....? Also, did you send any pics with your initial package?
I will have to look up my list and get back to you on what I sent. My nationality? I am Indian. I don't think that has anything to do with the RFE. I have read of a ton of peope who got RFEd, and had various types of nationalities. Also, lots of couples who filed jointly were RFEd as well.

Now the RFEs that people have received over time have been different in nature. I am making the assumption that the reason they have asked me to send a statement is because I am no longer married, so they might have assumed that I don't have additional "joint" evidence. If they had rfed me while I was married, then they might have asked me for the regular stuff, like bills, leases etc.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 6:20 pm
Forum Regular

By the way, the WAC number on the RFE is different from the WAC # that I had originally received when I had filed the I-751.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

lulu204 has much to be proud oflulu204 has much to be proud oflulu204 has much to be proud oflulu204 has much to be proud oflulu204 has much to be proud oflulu204 has much to be proud oflulu204 has much to be proud oflulu204 has much to be proud oflulu204 has much to be proud oflulu204 has much to be proud oflulu204 has much to be proud of

WildestKabs - I didn't mean to imply that nationality had any bearing on this process..but again, who knows! btw- being British, I have a ton of British-born Indian friends back home. GOD I miss the indian restaurants in London! *drool*

Between here and VisaJourney, I too have read of the many different varieties of RFEs....it seems noone is immune. Even though my submission was (in my eyes anyway) fully comprehensive, I am expecting the unexpected. Do you think it might be worth havign your ex send a little statement too? Of course, this depends on whether you're on friendly terms or not. it might be useful for her to corroborate what you have stated...

Keep us posted!

I will have to look up my list and get back to you on what I sent. My nationality? I am Indian. I don't think that has anything to do with the RFE. I have read of a ton of peope who got RFEd, and had various types of nationalities. Also, lots of couples who filed jointly were RFEd as well.

Now the RFEs that people have received over time have been different in nature. I am making the assumption that the reason they have asked me to send a statement is because I am no longer married, so they might have assumed that I don't have additional "joint" evidence. If they had rfed me while I was married, then they might have asked me for the regular stuff, like bills, leases etc.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 9:03 pm
Forum Regular

Do you think it might be worth havign your ex send a little statement too? Of course, this depends on whether you're on friendly terms or not. it might be useful for her to corroborate what you have stated...
I was actually thinking of sending a statement signed by both, but I haven't made my mind up yet.

Yes, we are on extremely good terms.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 11:13 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

I never got an RFE and have filed a self petition and got an interview! but my case is being moved to California from Illinois, maybe they will ask then for evidence! but I doubt it if they already requested me to attend an interview in Chicago.

I was reconciled with my hubby when I filed seperatley but we were divorced at the time of filing, he was kind enough to write a letter which was sent with my I-751 petition stating that we were back together (since split again) maybe that helped me! as I never really sent much else we had nothing in joint names except a bank account that was never used, I never sent any photos just copies of mail that was going to the same address.

I really think it's down to who opens your file.

Try not to worry to much just send what ever you can then wait on the interview that will be the nail biting time for sure.

Last edited by Poppy girl; Aug 21st 2007 at 11:16 pm.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 11:23 pm
Forum Regular

I think once Wildest sends his statement in, that might suffice....if they wanted to interview him, they would ask him for his statement in person...

again - I'm just guessing at this point!!

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
I never got an RFE and have filed a self petition and got an interview! but my case is being moved to California from Illinois, maybe they will ask then for evidence! but I doubt it if they already requested me to attend an interview in Chicago.

I was reconciled with my hubby when I filed seperatley but we were divorced at the time of filing, he was kind enough to write a letter which was sent with my I-751 petition stating that we were back together (since split again) maybe that helped me! as I never really sent much else we had nothing in joint names except a bank account that was never used, I never sent any photos just copies of mail that was going to the same address.

Try not to worry to much just send what ever you can then wait on the interview that will be the nail biting time for sure.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 11:27 pm
Forum Regular

You didn't send any pics Poppy?

Oh god, I sent them a photocopy of my entire wedding album. (30 pages)

I am so embarrassed :-(

Old Aug 21st 2007, 11:33 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

You didn't send any pics Poppy?

Oh god, I sent them a photocopy of my entire wedding album. (30 pages)

I am so embarrassed :-(
Nope no pics they saw them at the original interview or they could have I took them but the officer said it was not neccesary.

I have the pictures with me and the wedding was put onto CD which I have but lets be honest photo's, anyone can smile and look happy for the camera so I was not to concerned about it they need hard evidence wedding photos are of 1 day, bills Insurance etc are more evidence to them.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 2:20 am
Forum Regular

Even though I have seen some RFEs followed by interview calls, generally speaking, I have noticed that once you have sent in an RFE, the next thing is either an approval or denial. Generally speaking, it is an approval. Obviously, this is based solely on what I have seen from message boards.

So I am hoping the next correspondence that I receive from them will be for the approval.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.