Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

RFE - request for evidence of having met in last 2 years - hel please!

RFE - request for evidence of having met in last 2 years - hel please!

Old May 17th 2014, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

Smudger222 has a reputation beyond reputeSmudger222 has a reputation beyond reputeSmudger222 has a reputation beyond reputeSmudger222 has a reputation beyond reputeSmudger222 has a reputation beyond reputeSmudger222 has a reputation beyond reputeSmudger222 has a reputation beyond reputeSmudger222 has a reputation beyond reputeSmudger222 has a reputation beyond reputeSmudger222 has a reputation beyond reputeSmudger222 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RFE - request for evidence of having met in last 2 years - hel please!

Ok, so we got an RFE, and we received the hard copy yesterday.

I've tried to attach the letter, but it has our reference number on it.....i'll try to blank that out and repost.

It says we submitted evidence that I travelled to the USA, but they need evidence that we met whilst there. It acknowledges we sent secondary evidence in the form of photo's. It asks for a detailed statement stating that we have met and the details and circumstances of the meeting. It asks for ticket stubs and receipts or any other evidence to prove we have met.

We sent in copies of my boarding cards, plane tickets, and an Amtrak reservation for a sleeping berth with both our names on it.

We also sent several photo's, but I don't think we printed our names our dates of photo's on the back.

Here is what I'd like help with please.

1 - they asking for a detailed letter of our meeting, do they mean the last meeting? Or should I details all our meetings?
2-I don't have any other receipts/stubs with our names on. I have a receipt for dinner at Red Lobster, possibly a ticket for two for the Zoo. Should I send these?
3-Should I send more photo's and date them, and names on the back?
4-In the letter I could put the name of his parole office and phone number, who has met with me twice, whilst OH was there. Would this help....as in he has seen us both together?
5- I am going there in 5 weeks time, my other half thinks we should get a photo taken of us both, holding a Newspaper clearly showing the date, and take it to the court house to get it notarised. This would mean a 5 week delay, and I'd rather get things sent off next week. What do you all think?
6-Are letters from relatives stating we have met of any use?

I know that's a lot of question, and I'd be grateful for any advice.

I do wonder why we have this RFE, as looking at other posts, we seem to have sent in exactly what everyone else has.

Thanks in advance.
Old May 18th 2014, 11:05 am
Forum Regular

Smudger222 has a reputation beyond reputeSmudger222 has a reputation beyond reputeSmudger222 has a reputation beyond reputeSmudger222 has a reputation beyond reputeSmudger222 has a reputation beyond reputeSmudger222 has a reputation beyond reputeSmudger222 has a reputation beyond reputeSmudger222 has a reputation beyond reputeSmudger222 has a reputation beyond reputeSmudger222 has a reputation beyond reputeSmudger222 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: RFE - request for evidence of having met in last 2 years - hel please!

111 views......and no advice.....

Please can anyway assist?

Here's my best winning smile in anticipation.....
Old May 18th 2014, 12:32 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: RFE - request for evidence of having met in last 2 years - hel please!

Your OH is on parole? That may have immigration consequences depending on what he is was convicted for, and may well be why they pushing for more info/evidence that you have actually met, and when. The reason that there might be a problem is because of the requirements of the International Marriage Broker Regulation Act, which covers certain marriage visa matters even if there was no marriage broker involved in your relationship.
Old May 18th 2014, 1:57 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Pulaski

yes he is on parole, and we have sent in all his court records for his conviction etc. So we didn't get an RFE for that.

I did read that sometimes they are more thorough/demanding if you have a more complicated background.

Essentially they are asking us to prove that we have met....they say we have demonstrated that I went to the USA.

I've just realised I've got a car hire receipt for the days leading up to him getting his driving licence back, that would show we were in the town at the same time, if we sent that and a copy of his licence.

We did send a train ticket with both names on so I will resend that highlighted.

Any other ideas.

They don't want more photo's.
Old May 18th 2014, 2:14 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Smudger222
Hi Pulaski

yes he is on parole, and we have sent in all his court records for his conviction etc. So we didn't get an RFE for that. .....
It's not the conviction per se, its that the IMBRA addresses the issue of foreign spouses (primarily women) being put into abusive or dangerous domestic situations if granted a visa to live in the US. The Federal government does not want to be in the business of facilitating criminal spousal abuse.

The IMBRA was passed after several "mail order brides" were murdered, so the risk was, and remains, very real. We also hear from time to time here on BE of international marriages that have collapsed for reasons of abuse.
Old May 18th 2014, 2:23 pm
Forum Regular

I understand that, and we have complied with the requests for his conviction history.
But how else can we demonstrate that we have met, I thought we had already sent enough evidence. I'm looking for ideas.
Old May 18th 2014, 2:31 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

General comment: Most RFE's are "boilerplate" language drawn up by stringing together pre-written paragraphs. RFE's are often a royal PIA, but it is possible to over-focus on the language.

Sometimes there is something in a particular application that figuratively sets the antennae twitching. I have no idea what that might be in OP's situation -- when I was in practice, I would sometimes have a consultation with potential clients when they received an RFE and I, as an experienced attorney would instantly spot the problem which would be quite different from what the PC thought it was.
Old May 18th 2014, 2:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
General comment: Most RFE's are "boilerplate" language drawn up by stringing together pre-written paragraphs. RFE's are often a royal PIA, but it is possible to over-focus on the language.

Sometimes there is something in a particular application that figuratively sets the antennae twitching. I have no idea what that might be in OP's situation -- when I was in practice, I would sometimes have a consultation with potential clients when they received an RFE and I, as an experienced attorney would instantly spot the problem which would be quite different from what the PC thought it was.
Yes, it does appear to be 2 paragraphs I have seen previously put together.

The antennae twitch will be his prior convictions.

To be clear, they want primary evidence we have physically met, including a detailed written statement, and receipts and stubs.
Old May 18th 2014, 2:48 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

To be clear, they want primary evidence we have physically met, including a detailed written statement, and receipts and stubs.
I suspect that the receipts and stubs are extraneous... and what they're actually after is a simple written statement that the two of you actually met on a specific date. Once you've established that you actually met on a specific date, then the receipts and stubs automatically support that statement. The receipts and stubs, by themselves, don't verify the actual meeting... so, send a written statement and resubmit evidence of that meeting.

Ian
Old May 18th 2014, 3:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I suspect that the receipts and stubs are extraneous... and what they're actually after is a simple written statement that the two of you actually met on a specific date. Once you've established that you actually met on a specific date, then the receipts and stubs automatically support that statement. The receipts and stubs, by themselves, don't verify the actual meeting... so, send a written statement and resubmit evidence of that meeting.

Ian
I have just typed a statement, outlining dates I was there, and a few things we did, supported by receipts and some more photos, to be sure.

I was wondering if I should elaborate on how we met? As originally I put down an online penpal site, which is true, but are they fishing to see if it was a dating site?

If I elaborate, am I just making problems for myself, since they are not asking how we met, just to prove we have met.

What do you (anyone) think?
Old May 18th 2014, 4:24 pm

I have just typed a statement, outlining dates I was there, and a few things we did, supported by receipts and some more photos, to be sure.

I was wondering if I should elaborate on how we met? As originally I put down an online penpal site, which is true, but are they fishing to see if it was a dating site?

If I elaborate, am I just making problems for myself, since they are not asking how we met, just to prove we have met.

What do you (anyone) think?
The requirement is that you have met. I'd recommend that you stick to that.
Old May 18th 2014, 4:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Thanks....I was thinking along the lines of "don't volunteer what they dont ask for, stick to the script".
Old May 18th 2014, 4:32 pm

Thanks....I was thinking along the lines of "don't volunteer what they dont ask for, stick to the script".
Absolutely! Saying too much often trips people up both during the visa application process and at the immigration desk on arrival.
Old May 18th 2014, 4:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I agree.

This is a case where more detail is good, but it has to be relevant to the question being asked.

I would suggest a simple statement that you visited the US and met with your fiance for N days on dates A, B and C - D. While together, you did X, Y and Z (supplying exact dates / times if possible).

Add the "magic language" (which you can find if you search for it on this forum) stating that what you have written is a true statement, signed under penalty of perjury of the laws of the United States, and sign it.

While the receipts etc do not in themselves prove that you met, they do provide you with a way of reconstructing and accurate timeline of the events.

Don't forget to keep a copy of whatever you send.
Old May 18th 2014, 4:45 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I was wondering if I should elaborate on how we met?
Yes.

As originally I put down an online penpal site, which is true, but are they fishing to see if it was a dating site?
They aren't fishing. The specific requirement is that you have met face-to-face... which is definitely not established by contact online. It wouldn't matter if you had been dating online for years... the requirement is an actual F2F meeting.

Here is the magic language as outlined by md95065.

Ian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.