Wikiposts

RFE on immigrant visa

Old Sep 30th 2011, 9:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute
Default RFE on immigrant visa

Okay, so we got an RFE on our immigrant visa applications - though not in the areas we expected (original birth certificate). Apart from the fact we were supposed to send both halves of the DS-230 despite being advised otherwise, the main issue is J-1 visas I had 14+ years ago. I'm uncertain on some of the questions which I hope somebody can help with.

2. The date on which you obtained your Exchange Visitor visa, or date you acquired such status after admission to the U.S. and the date of termination of your Exchange Visitor status.

I can only go by the dates in the visa for the start - I think the visa was issued in, say, March for a late June entry. What is the termination - date I left, or the visa expiry date (which in the first case was a couple of years)?

Your occupation and the field of specialization in which you pursued your studies during your Exchange Visitor Program.

I could go for camp counselor in the computer shop (which I was) but is that detailed enough? I thought the visa classification would give them more information anyway!

Whether your participation in the Program was financed in whole or in part by a U.S. Government agency, the government of your country of nationality/last residence, or a travel grant, if any.

I have absolutely no idea. Were they ever sponsored? I know we didn't pay for flights initially, but then we did get paid a very low amount, so effectively it was probably taken out of our pay.

Regarding the DS-230, the wife's one is missing a residency date from age 16 to age 17. I have a copy of the form she sent so should we just add that line, obviously already signed with the August date, or fill in a whole new one with today's date?

As usual, this forum is likely to answer more quickly and clearly than my attorney. Thanks.

Oh - and baby is now 3 days overdue. Should we wait for the birth before sending this back? I still have no idea what I'm supposed to do with new additions to the family with regard to immigration applications in progress!

Last edited by GeoffM; Sep 30th 2011 at 9:16 pm. Reason: Baby! How could I forget?
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 12:29 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: RFE on immigrant visa

Originally Posted by GeoffM
2. The date on which you obtained your Exchange Visitor visa, or date you acquired such status after admission to the U.S. and the date of termination of your Exchange Visitor status.

I can only go by the dates in the visa for the start - I think the visa was issued in, say, March for a late June entry.
You say "I think" here...can't you just look at the visa? Did you provide a photocopy of the J-1 visa with your Immigrant Visa application?

Whether your participation in the Program was financed in whole or in part by a U.S. Government agency, the government of your country of nationality/last residence, or a travel grant, if any.

I have absolutely no idea. Were they ever sponsored? I know we didn't pay for flights initially, but then we did get paid a very low amount, so effectively it was probably taken out of our pay.
I believe USCIS is trying to determine whether the 2-year home residency requirement applied to your J-1.

Sorry, I don't know the answer to your other questions...

Rene
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 4:20 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
You say "I think" here...can't you just look at the visa? Did you provide a photocopy of the J-1 visa with your Immigrant Visa application?
I don't know whether it means the date it arrived in the post, or the date it was valid from, or the date I entered the US - a choice of 3 different months! The "I think" bit related to when I received it - validity and entry dates are on the visas which I do have. I didn't provide a copy - it just asks for the from and to dates on the DS230 which were duly completed. In hindsight it would perhaps have been prudent to send copies of the visa just in case. This time around I will!

I think the attorney may have left off all my VWP vists for which there was no room on the form so it was on a separate sheet of paper (no mention in the table of contents that I've seen).

I believe USCIS is trying to determine whether the 2-year home residency requirement applied to your J-1.
I would guess so, but the last date, as printed on the form, was 09/1998!

Tomorrow I'll try phoning Bunac and Camp America and see if they have any records of me still, and if so, can answer the remaining questions. I can't even remember whether the 2nd visit was Bunac or CA as I used both agencies.

Thanks.
Old Oct 4th 2011, 2:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

Tomorrow I'll try phoning Bunac and Camp America and see if they have any records of me still, and if so, can answer the remaining questions. I can't even remember whether the 2nd visit was Bunac or CA as I used both agencies.

Thanks.
I'm in a similar boat. My attorneys asked for copies of the DS2019 from my BUNAC bash 11 years ago. I had to laugh - why would a 19 year old student hang onto something like that after they are done with it? I still have the J1 stickers in my old passport, but the DS2019 forms are long gone.

So I phoned up BUNAC. They don't keep copies of the forms - the sponsor is actually the YMCA in New York. So I called them and they said they don't keep copies either.

Hope you have more luck than I did.
Old Oct 4th 2011, 2:33 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caleyjag
I'm in a similar boat. My attorneys asked for copies of the DS2019 from my BUNAC bash 11 years ago. I had to laugh - why would a 19 year old student hang onto something like that after they are done with it? I still have the J1 stickers in my old passport, but the DS2019 forms are long gone.

So I phoned up BUNAC. They don't keep copies of the forms - the sponsor is actually the YMCA in New York. So I called them and they said they don't keep copies either.

Hope you have more luck than I did.
I do not recall exactly what year the DS-2019 replaced the old IAP-66. Not that it mattered.
Old Oct 7th 2011, 12:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
I do not recall exactly what year the DS-2019 replaced the old IAP-66. Not that it mattered.
In the sense that it doesn't matter that one doesn't have them? I certainly don't, and don't even recall either code. I'll send them copies of the visas which are in my old passport and any other information that I can think of.

Since nobody, including my attorney, seems to know what to do with an additional person being added to the immigrant visa, I guess I'll phone NVC later tonight or email them and see what happens - maybe they'll generate an additional invoice and then I can send all the evidence (passport copy, birth certificate, DS-230) along with our stuff they've requested. It's going to put things back by a few weeks though.

Mind you, before we get a birth certificate and a passport, we have to agree on the name first...
Old Nov 9th 2011, 10:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Just had an updated RFE from NVC as I added a newborn baby to the application. However, the bit about previous J-1 visas had been removed - all other pieces were still there! In any case, it's crossed in the post since I've already sent the details (I didn't know they would update and send the RFE again).
Old Nov 10th 2011, 2:31 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Just had an updated RFE from NVC as I added a newborn baby to the application. However, the bit about previous J-1 visas had been removed - all other pieces were still there! In any case, it's crossed in the post since I've already sent the details (I didn't know they would update and send the RFE again).
If they've sent out another RFE, make sure you respond to that one! Even if it's to re-send everything you just sent with the first RFE. If their system shows they've sent you an RFE and you haven't responded to it within the deadline, you'll have major problems.

Rene
Old Nov 10th 2011, 3:16 am
BE Forum Addict

If they've sent out another RFE, make sure you respond to that one! Even if it's to re-send everything you just sent with the first RFE. If their system shows they've sent you an RFE and you haven't responded to it within the deadline, you'll have major problems.

Rene
Well, the package is at the attorney's, and they've got the new RFE (because they copied it to me). I can't send the original birth certificate again. But everything on both RFEs is included in the package. I believe the attorney gets a cover letter produced by NVC to put on top of the package they sent, so hopefully they'll remember to put the right one on....

(Incidentally, would have been far easier for me to deal with the NVC part. Adding a newborn mid-process is unusual admittedly but it was me that had to deal with it. Sending everything via the attorney just adds delay and they didn't check the original submission anyway. Whinge over)