Wikiposts

RFE I received today

Old Nov 11th 2003, 4:41 am
Forum Regular

glasgowm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: RFE

Originally posted by souls canuck
bad luck.. sorry about that..

we got an rfe as well.. they asked for more proof that we had met (pictures, passports and boarding passes apparently weren't enough

grr..

anyway, we sent it all in again, and then some.. and got approved about 2 weeks later..

yes it sucks and it was a setback, but in a way I was a little relieved that we were at least being looked at.. it could have been worse, they could have lost us all together or some equally nightmarish situation.

good luck
Our online status has not changed. It doesn't show that they sent out an RFE. I figured that it would update to reflect this. Did yours change after the RFE?

Michael
Old Nov 11th 2003, 4:46 am
Valley of the Sun

souls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to behold
Default yes

I first spotted in on line after checking a thousand times.. I honestly couldnt believe I was reading something new..

and then it set in..

my fiance was mad when we found out what they were looking for.. we thought , if anything, they wanted my long form birth cert or something.. but they asked for what we had sent.. stalling tactic perhaps?

I thought about it after.. maybe they need to do a certain amount of rfe's a month like the cops giving out tickets.. gotta fill that quota.. couldnt fingure out why not.. or maybe they do that to make sure you are in fact still keen on the K1...

I dunno..

it's behind us now.. just getting ready for my interview and all this will be over..
Old Nov 11th 2003, 6:15 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Heba's changed too.

Originally posted by glasgowm
Our online status has not changed. It doesn't show that they sent out an RFE. I figured that it would update to reflect this. Did yours change after the RFE?

Michael
Old Nov 11th 2003, 7:26 am
BE Enthusiast

tmushen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Leslie66
Heba's changed too.
I found out online yesterday. I was just assuming that the problem is a missing G-325 because I sent it in the day after my application was sent in. I am waiting for the RFE in the mail but let me take this time to complian even further.

What is the point of using the internet if they can't post what is needed and we have to waste more days waitng for the mail. The process is a joke as I have been saying. They have the tecnhnolgy with the internet but they use it half ass.
Old Nov 11th 2003, 7:38 am
Banned

Matthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by tmushen
I found out online yesterday. I was just assuming that the problem is a missing G-325 because I sent it in the day after my application was sent in. I am waiting for the RFE in the mail but let me take this time to complian even further.

What is the point of using the internet if they can't post what is needed and we have to waste more days waitng for the mail. The process is a joke as I have been saying. They have the tecnhnolgy with the internet but they use it half ass.
Sending it in "the day after" the initial submission was sent was a mistake in my opinion. They will not likely be able to line that lone G-325A up with the file, nor did your attorney have a case number yet to help in that regard.

I recall while on a tour of the CSC, another AILA member asked our tour guide (top ranking CSC officer) if he (the attorney) should send in items “not accompanied by an RFE letter� if the attorney realized he forgot to send (include) something, or wanted to simply add an additional bit of evidence to the case. Our tour guide said it is not wise to do this, and instead the best approach is to simply wait for an RFE and then supply what the RFE calls for. The RFE letter is used to help get that additional material lined up with the file, and according to the tour guide, mail received at the CSC that is not accompanied by an RFE letter will likely be grouped into “general correspondence� and at that time, it was taking the CSC a year or more to get to “general correspondence�.

Curious, is your attorney an AILA member? Has he or she ever toured the service center you are using (I always come away from these tours with a gem or two of information that comes in handy with my client’s cases, and is why I tour the Service Centers whenever I can).

Some RFE’s are quite extensive (pages long asking for many, many items) and quite detailed. I don’t think the website was designed to deliver that type of detailed information, it would take a worker double the time to have to basically create the RFE letter that you will eventually receive and to also type all of that information on the on-line site (giving opportunity for errors between the two versions of the RFE) and most importantly, you have to include the actual RFE letter containing a unique bar code sticker when returning the requested materials as that is crucial in getting the additional material lined up with the file (plus they will often include a special envelope for you to use that contains special markings recognized by the mail room staff as the reply to an RFE).

Last edited by Matthew Udall; Nov 11th 2003 at 7:40 am.
Old Nov 11th 2003, 11:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Matthew Udall
Sending it in "the day after" the initial submission was sent was a mistake in my opinion. They will not likely be able to line that lone G-325A up with the file, nor did your attorney have a case number yet to help in that regard.

I recall while on a tour of the CSC, another AILA member asked our tour guide (top ranking CSC officer) if he (the attorney) should send in items “not accompanied by an RFE letter� if the attorney realized he forgot to send (include) something, or wanted to simply add an additional bit of evidence to the case. Our tour guide said it is not wise to do this, and instead the best approach is to simply wait for an RFE and then supply what the RFE calls for. The RFE letter is used to help get that additional material lined up with the file, and according to the tour guide, mail received at the CSC that is not accompanied by an RFE letter will likely be grouped into “general correspondence� and at that time, it was taking the CSC a year or more to get to “general correspondence�.

Matthew,
I always appreciate your response and I could understand why it might not be wise to send anything the day after but I can't see how it could hurt. I would think if by some miracle they matched it to my case that would be great otherwise whether we sent it in the next the day or never sent it in we would have still received the RFE.

I don't know if my lawyer is a a member of AILA but he wasn't a lawyer out of the yellow pages. He was referred to me by a few people who used him previously and they were happy with his services. He is located in the heart of New York City which I know doesn't make him a good or bad lawyer but I do believe most of the problem is still with the BCIS and not the lawyer. The only reason I went to a lawyer was not to fill out the forms because I am quite capable of doing this but I went to him because my wife peviosuly had a greencard and her reentry pass had expired. Thank god I did because by myself I would have tried to get my wife who at the time was my girlfriend here on a visitors visa and then get married. I had no clue you can't do that until I talked to the lawyer.

In regards to the using the internet I disagree with what you wrote. The internet should be used to help everyone which includes both the immigration officers and petitioners. The mail receipts and RFE by mail should be generated at the same time when the information is entered in the computer. I agree there should never be any double entries one for the mail and one the internet. This process of generating a hard copy (Mail) and soft copy (internet) is the simpliest of tasks and involves the simpliest of databases which costs absolutely nothing. A college student working part time could make this happen but as I said many times previously the management either doesn't care or they just don't not know what our computer systems are capable of doing in the year 2003. A RFE should have a standard check box list that is checked off for what is required and then a space for any explanation that the immigration officer feels like putting in. There is no extra work to be done and when the enter key is pressed the information should be sent to the internet and the mail room for printing. The area of using computers is my strength and I don't care what anyone says this is a simply problem that should be fixed. Very little time, effort or money is needed to make the system function like one. I will provide one example because my company is very similiar to Etrade do you think that when Etrade send out a trade confirmatiuon they also have a second person type that information so the client could see it on the internet? We all know the answer to that because if Etrade did do that there would be no Etrade. I hope you agree now that someone is operating thw system the wrong way.

Curious, is your attorney an AILA member? Has he or she ever toured the service center you are using (I always come away from these tours with a gem or two of information that comes in handy with my client’s cases, and is why I tour the Service Centers whenever I can).

Some RFE’s are quite extensive (pages long asking for many, many items) and quite detailed. I don’t think the website was designed to deliver that type of detailed information, it would take a worker double the time to have to basically create the RFE letter that you will eventually receive and to also type all of that information on the on-line site (giving opportunity for errors between the two versions of the RFE) and most importantly, you have to include the actual RFE letter containing a unique bar code sticker when returning the requested materials as that is crucial in getting the additional material lined up with the file (plus they will often include a special envelope for you to use that contains special markings recognized by the mail room staff as the reply to an RFE).
Old Nov 11th 2003, 11:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Matthew Udall

Matthew,
I always appreciate your response and I could understand why it might not be wise to send anything the day after but I can't see how it could hurt. I would think if by some miracle they matched it to my case that would be great otherwise whether we sent it in the next the day or never sent it in we would have still received the RFE.

I don't know if my lawyer is a a member of AILA but he wasn't a lawyer out of the yellow pages. He was referred to me by a few people who used him previously and they were happy with his services. He is located in the heart of New York City which I know doesn't make him a good or bad lawyer but I do believe most of the problem is still with the BCIS and not the lawyer. The only reason I went to a lawyer was not to fill out the forms because I am quite capable of doing this but I went to him because my wife peviosuly had a greencard and her reentry pass had expired. Thank god I did because by myself I would have tried to get my wife who at the time was my girlfriend here on a visitors visa and then get married. I had no clue you can't do that until I talked to the lawyer.

In regards to the using the internet I disagree with what you wrote. The internet should be used to help everyone which includes both the immigration officers and petitioners. The mail receipts and RFE by mail should be generated at the same time when the information is entered in the computer. I agree there should never be any double entries one for the mail and one the internet. This process of generating a hard copy (Mail) and soft copy (internet) is the simpliest of tasks and involves the simpliest of databases which costs absolutely nothing. A college student working part time could make this happen but as I said many times previously the management either doesn't care or they just don't not know what our computer systems are capable of doing in the year 2003. A RFE should have a standard check box list that is checked off for what is required and then a space for any explanation that the immigration officer feels like putting in. There is no extra work to be done and when the enter key is pressed the information should be sent to the internet and the mail room for printing. The area of using computers is my strength and I don't care what anyone says this is a simply problem that should be fixed. Very little time, effort or money is needed to make the system function like one. I will provide one example because my company is very similiar to Etrade do you think that when Etrade send out a trade confirmatiuon they also have a second person type that information so the client could see it on the internet? We all know the answer to that because if Etrade did do that there would be no Etrade. I hope you agree with me now that someone is operating the system the wrong way.
Old Nov 11th 2003, 11:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Matthew,

In regards to the using the internet I disagree with what you wrote. The internet should be used to help everyone which includes both the immigration officers and petitioners. The mail receipts and RFE by mail should be generated at the same time when the information is entered in the computer. I agree there should never be any double entries one for the mail and one the internet. This process of generating a hard copy (Mail) and soft copy (internet) is the simpliest of tasks and involves the simpliest of databases which costs absolutely nothing. A college student working part time could make this happen but as I said many times previously the management either doesn't care or they just don't not know what our computer systems are capable of doing in the year 2003. A RFE should have a standard check box list that is checked off for what is required and then a space for any explanation that the immigration officer feels like putting in. There is no extra work to be done and when the enter key is pressed the information should be sent to the internet and the mail room for printing. The area of using computers is my strength and I don't care what anyone says this is a simply problem that should be fixed. Very little time, effort or money is needed to make the system function like one. I will provide one example because my company is very similiar to Etrade do you think that when Etrade send out a trade confirmatiuon they also have a second person type that information so the client could see it on the internet? We all know the answer to that because if Etrade did do that there would be no Etrade. I hope you agree with me now that someone is operating the system the wrong way.
I have a question about the part that I put in capital "The notice explains in detail what additional material is needed. IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS ABOUT THE NOTICE, WHAT IS REQUIRED, or if 14 days have passed and you have not received the notice, please call the National Customer Service Center at (800) 375-5283.

Does that really mean what it says that if I call tomorrow they will tell me what is required before I receive the letter in the mail or is it just more double talk by the BCIS?
Old Nov 11th 2003, 11:52 am
Banned

Matthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond repute

Matthew,
It could slow down one’s ability to reply to the RFE as quickly as possible. For example, say one forgets to send in the signed and dated G-325A for the international fiancée (or spouse in an I-130 case), and instead the G-325A is sent in the next day, like in your example.

Until that person gets the actual RFE letter, he won’t know for sure what it is they want. If it’s the G-325A, than he has to now send a new G-325A abroad to have it signed and dated again before being able to return the RFE (along with the new G-325A) to the Service Center, thus possibly slowing down the case by this additional amount (and even if he sends the G-325A to her as soon as he reads he will be receiving an RFE for something, the odds are the RFE letter would arrive before the international fiancée or spouse was able to return the newly signed and dated G-325A to him).

The mail receipts and RFE by mail should be generated at the same time when the information is entered in the computer. I agree there should never be any double entries one for the mail and one the internet. This process of generating a hard copy (Mail) and soft copy (internet) is the simpliest of tasks and involves the simpliest of databases which costs absolutely nothing.
Oh, I agree that the system could be tweaked, but consideration needs to be given as to “how� they can possibly tweak the system (as they move from their paper based system to a more digitally based system).

Receipt and approval notices already are generated automatically once data is entered in data entry “by a contract worker�, not the USCIS officer (the signal is sent to the printer which spits out the receipt or approval notice which is then folded by machine and stuffed into an envelope). None of that is done by human hand (This same signal also automatically updates the phone and on-line system about these basic events… case received at the Service Center or case approval/denial... well that is assuming the internal phone lines are not down at that moment in time, which they often are due to maintenance at the Service Centers).

When an RFE is generated (which would happen sometime between issuance of a receipt and approval notice), what is needed (from the petitioner) has to first be thought out by the officer in question who has evaluated the case. I’m not sure if that officer hands notes over to a contract worker to type/create the RFE, but regardless of who does this task, it takes them much longer when they have to issue an RFE (or a denial for that matter) compared to the steps they go through when simply approving a case. Yes, some check boxes could be (actually, I think they already are) incorporated on an RFE letter, but also I find that most of the time the officer needs to write some text to explain what it is he or she wants. I also know that they use template language on the RFE letters to help the officer more quickly put together the RFE letter tailored to the particular case (they use the computer and printer to make the RFE letters, and I assume that is when a signal would automatically go out and update the phone and on-line system saying an RFE has been sent).

RFE letters contain very detailed and sensitive case specific information that I doubt most people would want out on the net, such as the name of the person, what documents are needed, that sort of thing. For example, an RFE might say, “please send us the birth record for John Allen Smith�. I doubt Mr. Smith is going to appreciate the fact that the USCIS just put his name, his identity out for everybody to read who are also crunching Service Center numbers (you do know there is a small army of people who crunch these numbers each and every day, right?). Or an RFE might say, “please send us the final divorce decree or death certificate showing how John Allen Smith’s marriage to Jane Ellen Doe was terminated�. I doubt Ms. Doe would appreciate that either (concerns about confidentiality).

But I will speculate that since this on-line system is brand new (and was designed to automatically give the same information that was already provided over the phone system), that sure, there is room for improvements. Perhaps they could give some sort of password that would keep the sensitive case specific information (that was your suggestion) listed on the on-line site away from the prying eyes of those who love to crunch case numbers on that site.

Last edited by Matthew Udall; Nov 11th 2003 at 12:58 pm.