Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

RFE - Do I really need another medical?

Wikiposts

RFE - Do I really need another medical?

Old Mar 2nd 2010, 4:31 am
Forum Regular

ajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud of
Default RFE - Do I really need another medical?

Hi All,

So, as many may have seen via my thread here I submitted my I-485 application about two weeks ago (I cam to the US on a K-1 visa) and, following a lengthy arguement with a nurse at the civil surgeon center got my vaccination history signed off, sealed, and sent it in with the package.

My husband and I returned from our honeymoon and were delighted to discover three Notice's, one to say my I-485 application had been recieved and was being processed, the second to say my EAD was being processed, and the thirs to say my AP was being processed. Then a few days later my appt date for my Biometrics arrived and we were exstatic at hpw quickly things were moving.

Then yesterday the dreaded yellow RFE arrived in the mail. The reason? "You have indicated that you last entered the US as a K or V non immigrant. Please submit a properly completed and signed copy of the medical exam conducted overseas on form DS-2053. If you do not have this form please submit a properly completed and signed Form I-693 Report of Medical Examination and Vaccination Record."

Hmmm. I had my medical conducted in London, and filed under the assumption that everything necessary related to my medical was in the mysterious brown envelope that travelled here to the US with me? I was given nothing by the doctor in Knightsbridge except the copy of my vaccination history. Should I have been given this form DS-2053?

Secondly, is it possible for me to obtain this form from Knightsbridge and send it to USCIS? Has anybody else here on the forum done so?

If not, and they cannot produce this I guess I have to have the medical. Although I dont really want to, my last experience with a civil surgeon was not pleasant, and the place I went to didnt exactly seem clean/fill me with confidence.

Any advice on this issue would be greatly appreciated. Also I assume I should still attend my biometrics appointment?

I was planning on calling the information line, but thought I would check in here first.
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 4:49 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: RFE - Do I really need another medical?

Originally Posted by ajmstevenson
Hi All,

So, as many may have seen via my thread here I submitted my I-485 application about two weeks ago (I cam to the US on a K-1 visa) and, following a lengthy arguement with a nurse at the civil surgeon center got my vaccination history signed off, sealed, and sent it in with the package.

My husband and I returned from our honeymoon and were delighted to discover three Notice's, one to say my I-485 application had been recieved and was being processed, the second to say my EAD was being processed, and the thirs to say my AP was being processed. Then a few days later my appt date for my Biometrics arrived and we were exstatic at hpw quickly things were moving.

Then yesterday the dreaded yellow RFE arrived in the mail. The reason? "You have indicated that you last entered the US as a K or V non immigrant. Please submit a properly completed and signed copy of the medical exam conducted overseas on form DS-2053. If you do not have this form please submit a properly completed and signed Form I-693 Report of Medical Examination and Vaccination Record."

Hmmm. I had my medical conducted in London, and filed under the assumption that everything necessary related to my medical was in the mysterious brown envelope that travelled here to the US with me? I was given nothing by the doctor in Knightsbridge except the copy of my vaccination history. Should I have been given this form DS-2053?

Secondly, is it possible for me to obtain this form from Knightsbridge and send it to USCIS? Has anybody else here on the forum done so?

If not, and they cannot produce this I guess I have to have the medical. Although I dont really want to, my last experience with a civil surgeon was not pleasant, and the place I went to didnt exactly seem clean/fill me with confidence.

Any advice on this issue would be greatly appreciated. Also I assume I should still attend my biometrics appointment?

I was planning on calling the information line, but thought I would check in here first.
Every so often, CIS gets a bug up its ass and starts issuing RFE's from Hell. I suggest you respond to the RFE today with the only proper response -- which can be very short. It is generally not a good idea to make things more complicated than they are.
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 4:51 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Did you go to the US civil surgeon's office to have the vaccination copy the UK doctor gave you validated? If not, that is what you need to do.
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 4:54 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

ajms,

The visa medical report consists of 3 forms, DS-2053, DS-3024, and DS-3025. Since you were asked only for DS-2053 my guess is that whoever is looking through your file cannot find that one specific form. It isn't something that a copy would normally be given to you, as is the case with DS-3025.

I do not know if Knightsbridge keeps copies of the medical reports, maybe others do or you could contact them to find out. But if you cannot get a copy then your only alternative may be to visit a Civil Surgeon for an exam and an I-693.

Regards, JEff

Old Mar 2nd 2010, 4:57 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

He says that is was DS-2053, not DS-3025, that caused the RFE.

But maybe he's dyslexic.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Rete
Did you go to the US civil surgeon's office to have the vaccination copy the UK doctor gave you validated? If not, that is what you need to do.
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 5:00 am
Forum Regular

ajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud of

Rete - Yes I did, in fact it took over an hour and half's worth of arguing to get the lady to understand that I already had a medical and all I needed was my vaccination history signed off.

Thanks all for the help, I have 82 days left to send them the info, so I might try and call the Knightsbridge doctors tomorrow and see if they have a copy of that form. If not its off to a civil surgeon I go
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 5:03 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

First of all, please check the pinned thread about AOS/I-693 for information on this topic.

Second, does your vax history state that your vaccinations were complete at your immigration medical?

Yes, attend your biometrics appointment regardless.

Finally, the information line won't have anything useful to tell you.

You can also check out the other 2 threads currently running on this topic to know you are not alone and to see some possible solutions.
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 5:53 am

I've got to be fair to all my dear friends - note that the RFE was with respect to DS-2053 ......

But maybe .....

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by meauxna
Second, does your vax history state that your vaccinations were complete at your immigration medical?
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 7:25 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Rete - Yes I did, in fact it took over an hour and half's worth of arguing to get the lady to understand that I already had a medical and all I needed was my vaccination history signed off.

Thanks all for the help, I have 82 days left to send them the info, so I might try and call the Knightsbridge doctors tomorrow and see if they have a copy of that form. If not its off to a civil surgeon I go

Weren't you the poster that had the nurse who was insistent that you needed a full medical and the doctor finally said that you were right instead.
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 8:16 am
Forum Regular

Indeed I was. Turns out I actually have to have another medical at this rate.

So Im $90 out of pocket for having my vacc history transcribed....and even more frustrated after the hour arguement I had with the nurse.
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 9:25 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Indeed I was. Turns out I actually have to have another medical at this rate.

So Im $90 out of pocket for having my vacc history transcribed....and even more frustrated after the hour arguement I had with the nurse.
Keep your eye on the prize. "I want a green card and I want it sooner than later." An old boss once told me that the job of an immigration lawyer is to make as easy as possible for the INS [back in the old days] to say "yes."
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 5:46 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

We got an RFE last year asking for form I693 for my husbands medical info. He also came over on a K1 and we had all his vaccinations transcribed here in NYC by a USCIS doctor and sent in with his AOS. It seems most of the RFE's for this seem to be coming from California. By the way I had called Knightsbridge as well and they told me that they don't keep copies of any medicals. Our attorney said that we could respond to the RFE saying that he was a K1 and he already had a medical and they could still send us another RFE or he could just get another medical which he did. More money out of pocket! My husbands Greencard arrived less than a month later with no interview . I understand your pain. It's really frustrating! Also I think for future K1 applicants and anyone else getting a medical at Knightsbridge. Get a copy of the medical exam if you can as well as the vaccination history.
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 7:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

jeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of light

I had my medical last month. I'm also a K1 applicant. I've noticed recently how many K1 applicants were getting RFEs for not having a full medical done in the US when they had had it done in London. I'm coming to the same conclusion as Penguinbar and am going to have another medical done for the AOS. My son needs another one as he couldn't have all is jabs at the medical in London. In for a penny in for a pound right?!