Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

REVERSE - US lady wants to immigrate to Australia

Wikiposts

REVERSE - US lady wants to immigrate to Australia

Old Dec 28th 2001, 7:57 pm
G.Bush

Can anyone tell me of other women wanting to leave this place (US) for a sane and
safer place ? There is an Ozzie man I've seen over the years who visits the US a lot;
but he is worried about all the problems of children (I'm a single mom), education
and immigration (both for me to come to Oz and for him (god forbid) would want to go
to the USA.

Basically my plans are for our future family to come and go and avoid the immigration
Nazi's that seem intent on inflicting suffering. Should I marry him in the USA (he is
on a B1 visa) or in Australia, in which case I guess he would need a K visa. But I am
told the US embassy in Sydney intentionally delays these applications for YEARS,
kinda hoping people will give up and go away.

Then again, I am told that adjustment of status (?) for my boyfriend if he married me
in the US is just as bad.

thanks, trish

Old Dec 29th 2001, 1:23 am
Jb

"G.Bush" wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

If you want to go to Australia try reading the newsgroup
misc.immigration.australia+nz if your ISP carries it.

>
    >

Come and go? You will have to decide on a place to settle eventually. Immigration
people are generally not "Nazi's." The forms are relatively simple. Fill them out,
pay the fee and wait

>
    >
    >

Never heard that. I've read several stories of australians getting a US visa (I-130)
via DCF in Sydney and the process took far less than "years."

>
    >

As bad as what? File the paperwork properly and wait. You can read hundreds (or even
thousands) of accounts from other people who have done just that.

Old Dec 29th 2001, 8:13 am
youngsl

>
    >
    >
I don't know who "told" you this but it is totally untrue.

My husband is Australian. We did Direct Consular Filing in Sydney in 2000. The entire
process (from first contact with the Consulate in Sydney to request the forms, to his
interview, to his entry as a permanent resident to the USA) was completed in only 2
months flat!!

After completing the necessary forms (both countries-American INS forms and Aus
"Intent to Marry" Form, we married in the Royal Botanic Gardens in Sydney on Nov.23,
his interview was Nov. 29, we entered the USA at Los Angeles on Nov. 30. Pretty
simple really.

The people at the Sydney Consulate are wonderful and very helpful. No
problems at all.

Sharon

-----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

Old Jan 7th 2002, 8:09 am
Drish3

if you live in australia for a year with someone, you become "de facto" which is
basically the same as being married, if you want that option.