Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Resubmitting Applications? I-765 Help!

Wikiposts

Resubmitting Applications? I-765 Help!

Old May 14th 2004, 8:59 am
Forum Regular

buffalo24 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Resubmitting Applications? I-765 Help!

My husband got a rejection notice for the I-765 filed through the Buffalo office and on to the NBC. Notice is from the NBC/MSC/whatever. The rejection is because he did not check the box "I am applying for.."

1) I believe we send back the rejected form, right, and just check the box on the old one? That's what it seems like, and that's what Customer Service told me.

2) Will we get a new receipt number/notice date? Are we just basically doing this all over again? Do we resend with the new fees, even though the received date was April 26? edit: Customer Service told me that the old fee was fine. And someone else got that answer from another 3 people.

Sorry for all the questions, but we want to get it right this time.

Thanks.

Last edited by buffalo24; May 14th 2004 at 9:32 am.
Old May 15th 2004, 1:28 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: Resubmitting Applications? I-765 Help!

Does anyone have any thoughts of the fee to resend? I apologize for asking again, but we'd really like opinions, because at this point, I think that's the best we're gonna get unless there's someone who knows for sure.
Old May 15th 2004, 3:01 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by buffalo24
My husband got a rejection notice for the I-765 filed through the Buffalo office and on to the NBC. Notice is from the NBC/MSC/whatever. The rejection is because he did not check the box "I am applying for.."

1) I believe we send back the rejected form, right, and just check the box on the old one? That's what it seems like, and that's what Customer Service told me.
Customer Service? You mean the 1-800 misinformation line? If so, yes, check the box that USCIS indicated was the cause of the problem. Then scruntize the entire application to be sure there is nothing else that is incorrect on it. Was the correct reason for eligibility indicated? Was it signed, dated? Include another copy of the reason for eligibility, i.e. a copy of your filed I-485 and/or the receipt for it. If an envelope was included with the returned application, send it in that envelope.

Will we get a new receipt number/notice date? Are we just basically doing this all over again? Do we resend with the new fees, even though the received date was April 26? edit: Customer Service told me that the old fee was fine. And someone else got that answer from another 3 people.
You don't say that the check was returned? Was it? If so, I would send the application back with the original check, particularly if the application has been written on and a date placed anywhere on the form from the USCIS itself.

Sorry for all the questions, but we want to get it right this time.

Thanks.
Old May 15th 2004, 3:35 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Rete, I appreciate the input. Everything on the form was filled out fine except for that one check box. The check was returned, stapled to the application, which was stamped by the USCIS. Yeah, I know, the Customer Service line people don't always give out accurate info. Kinda sad, actually! Thanks again for the input; that's what we were thinking we should do.
Old May 15th 2004, 6:24 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by buffalo24
Thanks Rete, I appreciate the input. Everything on the form was filled out fine except for that one check box. The check was returned, stapled to the application, which was stamped by the USCIS. Yeah, I know, the Customer Service line people don't always give out accurate info. Kinda sad, actually! Thanks again for the input; that's what we were thinking we should do.

Did you send the check they sent back BEFORE the fees went up on the 30th of April? If you are resubmitting I'll be you have to figure it at the higher fees.
Old May 15th 2004, 7:56 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by cindyabs
Did you send the check they sent back BEFORE the fees went up on the 30th of April? If you are resubmitting I'll be you have to figure it at the higher fees.
Everything was received in our local office on April 26, and it was then forwarded by them to the NBC. Everything was accepted except for the I-765, which we got back on Friday with a rejection notice, the ONLY reason being because we forgot to check the "I am applying for.." box. The rejection notice looks just like an NOA with a received date and all. The I-765 has a stamp on it that it was received on April 26. The only thing that's clear about what we need to do is to check the box we missed and send the form directly back to the USCIS Chicago address.

This is why I'm confused as to whether this is a "we're doing this all over again" thing, or if it's more like an RFE. Because we aren't sending it through our local office this time - we're returning the form to them with the mistakes corrected.

I have no problem paying whatever they want us to pay - I just want to get it right - don't want another rejection for overpaying or underpaying. My husband is going to go to the local office first thing Monday morning and see what they say - they'll know better than the Customer Service line, no doubt!