Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Residence date is different between New 10 Year GC and old 2 year GC

Residence date is different between New 10 Year GC and old 2 year GC

Old Oct 30th 2007, 2:40 am
Forum Regular

haozi101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Residence date is different between New 10 Year GC and old 2 year GC

I got a new 10 Year GC recently and which will expire on 9/14/2017. I was comparing the new one with the old one and found that in my old 2 year GC, it states that residence since 2/27/2005, but in the new 10 year card, it states that residence since 2/24/2005. Also as you can see from my timeline, I actually had AOS interview on 2/24/2005 and got I-551 stamp on my passport. (So i am guessing the new GC had the right residence date) Since I will be travelling back to China early Dec, will this residence date discrepancy affect my reentry to US? Should I call customer service center for this? Also the category has been changed from CR6 to IR6 (I think that is normal).

And for my international travel, my new GC and my passport should be sufficient for re-entry right?

Thanks.
Old Oct 30th 2007, 2:56 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Residence date is different between New 10 Year GC and old 2 year GC

The date discrepancy of a few days isn't going to matter when you return from your trip. You have the valid 10-year card, and that's what counts. I think the only difference it will make is in calculating when you're eligible for US citizenship, but just wait until you're well within time from the later of the two dates, and I don't think it will be a big deal.

All you need is your 10-year green card and passport for international travel.

Rene
Old Oct 30th 2007, 3:24 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Residence date is different between New 10 Year GC and old 2 year GC

Originally Posted by haozi101
I got a new 10 Year GC recently and which will expire on 9/14/2017. I was comparing the new one with the old one and found that in my old 2 year GC, it states that residence since 2/27/2005, but in the new 10 year card, it states that residence since 2/24/2005. Also as you can see from my timeline, I actually had AOS interview on 2/24/2005 and got I-551 stamp on my passport. (So i am guessing the new GC had the right residence date) Since I will be travelling back to China early Dec, will this residence date discrepancy affect my reentry to US? Should I call customer service center for this? Also the category has been changed from CR6 to IR6 (I think that is normal).

And for my international travel, my new GC and my passport should be sufficient for re-entry right?

Thanks.
Hi:

Probably a keyboard error. Don't get me started on my client from AFG who was coded as being from ATG when she entered at Newark Airport.
Old Oct 30th 2007, 1:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by haozi101

Thanks.
Ha! We have ya beat! There's a 9month difference between the dates on my husbands 2yr versus 10yr card! His 2yr card is correct, but the 10yr card has his "Resident since" date as being the date he actually entered the US on his K1 visa.

So this brings up an interesting question for our situation I hadn't even thought of. Given the large disparity in my hubby's dates, should we consider trying to get this card replaced, prior to any international travel? We are getting ready to file the N-400 for him, and that looks like it could come through faster than a replacement card...hmm. So maybe I just answered my own question, and we should just wait for his citizenship to come through and get his US passport before traveling.
Old Oct 30th 2007, 5:47 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
So maybe I just answered my own question...
Indeed, you did!

Ian
Old Oct 30th 2007, 7:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Indeed, you did!

Ian
Old Oct 31st 2007, 2:55 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
Ha! We have ya beat! There's a 9month difference between the dates on my husbands 2yr versus 10yr card! His 2yr card is correct, but the 10yr card has his "Resident since" date as being the date he actually entered the US on his K1 visa.

So this brings up an interesting question for our situation I hadn't even thought of. Given the large disparity in my hubby's dates, should we consider trying to get this card replaced, prior to any international travel? We are getting ready to file the N-400 for him, and that looks like it could come through faster than a replacement card...hmm. So maybe I just answered my own question, and we should just wait for his citizenship to come through and get his US passport before traveling.
Wouldn't try to get the card replaced -- more trouble than it's worth! They'll sort it out when he does the N-400. Just document and explain it then. In my own case, a few days error seemed to add a fortnight to the process.

Also, wouldn't book any vacation travel with a natz coming up since sod's law says they'll choose a date that puts a spanner in your plans.