Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Request for Evidence: I751

Request for Evidence: I751

Old Sep 18th 2018, 11:01 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat084 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat084 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat084 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat084 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat084 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat084 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat084 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat084 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat084 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat084 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat084 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Request for Evidence: I751

Hi all,

I'm kind of bringing up another post from a while back. I had filed for the I-751 Petition to Remove the Conditions of Residence. This is a divorce case. It's been approximately 1.6 years now. I have had the odd letter from them stating it was moved to this state and that state. Today I received a Request for Evidence. I have given all the evidence I can, although there is for sure more but I doubt it would really be considered evidence, at least I dont think so. I filled out the form (inclusive of evidence of the marriage), and now they are asking for extra evidence which I don't have. The reason I don't have this is because my ex-husband and I never did that kind of thing. Well to clarify, he didn't. I was the one that moved over here and had nothing to "give" materialistically, I am not sure why he didn't but for me it was a simple case of trust, love and who the heck thinks in advance of divorce. I wasn't interested in that kind of thing. Anyway. They want proof of utilities under both names, which I cant give because they were under his name, until this day i never thought that was something to think of. Property, life or health insurance docs. Dont have that either. He did fill out tax returns and i asked him about that, but he said he didnt include me in them so I didn't add them to the "package" that i sent. There were no loans, the house was paid off, but there are credit card account statements. I am not sure he would give them to me. I basically don't have much of what they want. He did bring up an addendum he wanted to put down which would state that I would have the right to live in the house until I died, but I would not be an owner. That was ok with me, as I was concerned that if anything happened, what would I do. He kept saying he had done it, or was going to, and shortly before the divorce he admitted he had never done that. It didn't really bother me at all, but now I wonder if the question of entering into a good faith marriage is now a question for him. Either way. Any tips on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat084; Sep 18th 2018 at 11:09 pm.
Old Sep 19th 2018, 6:53 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Request for Evidence: I751

Call the credit card companies and ask for statements, or create an online account with them and print out back statements.

Contact IRS and get official transcrpts. Thus will hopefully show he filed in the "married" category. Did you not work at all?

Were you not on his health insurance when you were married?

if you can't come up with any other evidence, write a statement just like you did here and send it to USCIS, describing why you don't have more evidence.

Rene
Old Sep 19th 2018, 1:52 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat084 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat084 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat084 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat084 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat084 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat084 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat084 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat084 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat084 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat084 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat084 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Rene....I'll sort out any of those that I can. After receiving my Green Card, I was self-employed but really not earning too much. I was on his health insurance, sorry I forgot about that when I wrote the post.
Old Sep 19th 2018, 3:22 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

You need to do as Rene suggested after gathering as much additional evidence as you can. Write a statement that is concise and as unemotional as you can make it. Outline how the house belonged to your husband before your marriage and as he already had utilities turned on, your name was never on the mortgage or the property deed or the utilities as there was no reason to change what was already in place. While he may have filed his taxes separately from you, he should have filed married-separate. If he filed in the single category, then he might have problems with IRS later on. Do you have a copy of the divorce decree? What were the grounds for the divorce? Was there any abuse, either physical, mental, emotional or verbal? If so, were the police involved at any point? Do you have any friends that can attest to the validity of your marriage and having seen the two of you together out for dinner, in their home, at a party or a function?

Honestly, you need to mentally go over the years of your marriage day by day and look for events, items, or situations that can be of use to you in proving the validity of your marriage. You might not think it is relevant but added together they form a picture. Hope this helps.
Old Sep 19th 2018, 5:47 pm
Account Closed

Thanks Rete, I appreciate your advise.
After having an hour or two to calm down since the things they are suggesting I could use are not available to me, I did think of things that I can provide to them. You are so right that I now need to go through every day of the marriage (more-or-less) and things are now popping up which could be relevant.
I do have a copy of the divorce decree, which I sent in with my paper-work, so they do have that. He filed for divorce and I was served the papers as I wanted to try to work through things, which is neither here nor there now. The grounds were irreconcilable differences.
I do have one friend over here that can attest to the validity and the other one wrote one for me which I included in the paper-work. I have friends back in Europe that can attest also if need be. Part of the problem was that he didn't have any friends here and so we never went anywhere other than to restaurants just the two of us. When we went to Europe for a visit we met with my friends who could attest.
I also have emails exchanged between me and one of his daughters who I was pretty close to, but I didn't include them because I wanted to respect her privacy. They obviously show our daily life together with my ex.

I'll get cracking on calling the health insurance company etc.
Old Oct 15th 2018, 3:23 pm
Account Closed

Hi

I have been back and forth with the ex but am not sure I have a sufficient amount of proof thus far. But it's been like pulling blood from a stone. I have the documents proving that I was included on the family health insurance policy. However, this was done 10 months after our marriage. It didn't come up for me because I never needed to go to the doctor. I also have numerous credit card bills that he has sent me from our stays at Disney, where both our names appear on the reservation and purchases throughout the couple of times we stayed there. He seems to have no other credit card bills to offer, although i know there were more than that.

He states that I was included as a beneficiary on the life insurance whilst married, but that there are no longer any copies of this. I never received a copy of this even while I was married. I can't imagine that there are no copies of this, especially with the insurance company. Since it would have had my name on it (if he is telling the truth) would I be able to get a copy of this from the insurance company? I don't even know the name, but if I were to find that out, would that be a possibility for me to get a copy from them since it had my name on it?

Thanks in advance.