Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Renewing Green Card - What is required?

Renewing Green Card - What is required?

Old Oct 10th 2014, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

Hawkslayer is just really niceHawkslayer is just really niceHawkslayer is just really niceHawkslayer is just really niceHawkslayer is just really niceHawkslayer is just really niceHawkslayer is just really niceHawkslayer is just really nice
Default Renewing Green Card - What is required?

I am a 79 year old British man who lives in Georgia and I married an American lady who passed on in 2006, three years after our marriage. I have a green card which will reach the ten year mark next May, it was issued in May 2005. I will be needing to renew it shortly and was wondering what documents would I need when I do this. If someone could run me through the best way of proceeding with this I would appreciate it. It has been so many years since I last dealt with immigration and I am a little out of touch. Thanks.

Hawkslayer...
Old Oct 10th 2014, 9:56 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renewing Green Card - What is required?

Originally Posted by Hawkslayer
I will be needing to renew it shortly and was wondering what documents would I need when I do this.
You need to file form I-90 and include such documentation as is required. Start here. It's a fairly straight forward process.

Ian
Old Oct 10th 2014, 11:29 pm
Forum Regular

Hawkslayer is just really niceHawkslayer is just really niceHawkslayer is just really niceHawkslayer is just really niceHawkslayer is just really niceHawkslayer is just really niceHawkslayer is just really niceHawkslayer is just really nice

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
You need to file form I-90 and include such documentation as is required. Start here. It's a fairly straight forward process.

Ian
Yeah, I know all this and have looked at the website, I want to hear from someone who has already gone through all this. I will learn much more that way. Thanks for the reply.

Hawkslayer...
Old Oct 10th 2014, 11:33 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I've been on this forum a long time, and I think it's rare to find someone who renews a 10-year card. Most folks become USCs before the 10-year mark.

If you understand that link, there isn't really any more someone will add, anyway. They simply would have followed those same easy steps. Fill out the form, include whatever is asked for, include the fee, and that's it.

Rene
Old Oct 11th 2014, 12:14 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I know all this and have looked at the website...
With respect, you asked what documents you'd need. If you've already been to the web site and know this... why did you even bother to ask?

I want to hear from someone who has already gone through all this.
With respect, that's not what you asked for. You asked "if someone could run me through the best way of proceeding with this". That is different from what you are now asking. That said, very few people here renew... most become US citizens when they're able to. Since you're able to, perhaps you should consider it.

I will learn much more that way.
With respect, I doubt you will. It's a very straight forward process.

Ian
Old Oct 11th 2014, 12:27 am
Forum Regular

With respect, you asked what documents you'd need. If you've already been to the web site and know this... why did you even bother to ask?

With respect, that's not what you asked for. You asked "if someone could run me through the best way of proceeding with this". That is different from what you are now asking. That said, very few people here renew... most become US citizens when they're able to. Since you're able to, perhaps you should consider it.

With respect, I doubt you will. It's a very straight forward process.

Ian
Thats fine my friend, if you don't want to assist, I understand, that is your perogative. In my humble opinion the I-90 website doesn't make it understandable just what if any, documents are needed. I was hoping someone would enlighten me on that. It appears not. I remember this site when you could get an answer to any question you asked about immigration, but maybe not now. I'm sorry I asked.

Hawkslayer...

Last edited by Hawkslayer; Oct 11th 2014 at 12:36 am.
Old Oct 11th 2014, 12:36 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Give it time. .. in sure more people will chime in.

Rene
Old Oct 11th 2014, 1:28 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Thats fine my friend, if you don't want to assist, I understand, that is your perogative. In my humble opinion the I-90 website doesn't make it understandable just what if any, documents are needed. I was hoping someone would enlighten me on that. It appears not. I remember this site when you could get an answer to any question you asked about immigration, but maybe not now. I'm sorry I asked.

Hawkslayer...
I haven't done this, but did Citizenship in the past year. On reading the I-90 instructions, I agree it is not that clear. The only "documents" required that I could see, are a copy of your green card (expiring within 6 months, so don't file till November!), and evidence of any name change since last time.

Fill the form, include those items, and a check, (keep a copy for yourself of everything in the envelope), and wait for a biometrics appointment.

Edited To Add: I did not see it written, but it won't hurt to include a copy of your wife's death certificate, and any subsequent marriage cert. It is not material, but in my Citizenship application I needed to provide my divorce certificate "just for the record" since my marital status changed since my previous dealings with USCIS.

Edit again: I hope it is no issue, but assuming your wife was your sponsor, since she is deceased, there is potential for a wrinkle in the proceedings. I do not know how that works.

Last edited by RICH; Oct 11th 2014 at 2:00 am. Reason: addition
Old Oct 11th 2014, 2:20 am
Account Closed

In my humble opinion the I-90 website doesn't make it understandable just what if any, documents are needed.
No, but the I-90 instructions do. If you're processing under 2f, then you include your "ready-to-expire" green card. I'm not sure why you think there might be other documents beyond that. If other documents were required, it would be stated in the instructions.

Ian
Old Oct 11th 2014, 6:55 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

I-90
Check

Or file it electronically.

By and by, biometrics request comes in mail. Do biometrics. BTW, the only RFE's I have seen have been when person has a criminal record. The I-90 has been know to trigger some bad results.
Old Oct 11th 2014, 9:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

No, but the I-90 instructions do. If you're processing under 2f, then you include your "ready-to-expire" green card.
I renewed my card last year, filed the I-90 electronically, and I am 99% certain that I didn't submit a copy of my "about to expire" card - I just filed the form, paid the money, and took the expiring card with me to the biometrics appointment.
Old Oct 11th 2014, 9:54 pm
Forum Regular

osgood will become famous soon enoughosgood will become famous soon enough

Did it last year...applied online paid $450..called in for biometrics appt.local,they then give you an extension on your expiring green card and 9 months later,post your new card...
Old Oct 11th 2014, 10:29 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by md95065
I am 99% certain that I didn't submit a copy of my "about to expire" card...
Well, that would be difficult to do with an electronic submission. The I-90 instructions say to include it.

Ian
Old Oct 11th 2014, 10:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, that would be difficult to do with an electronic submission. The I-90 instructions say to include it.
Yes, the instructions do indeed say that you should send a copy of the expiring card but, as is so often the case, the instructions don't appear to be entirely accurate.

I think that there was something in the online application process that effectively countermanded that particular directive.

Anyway, filing the I-90 and renewing my greencard was probably the simplest and most straight forward transaction that I have ever had with USCIS.
Old Oct 12th 2014, 12:16 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by md95065
Yes, the instructions do indeed say that you should send a copy of the expiring card but, as is so often the case, the instructions don't appear to be entirely accurate.

I think that there was something in the online application process that effectively countermanded that particular directive.

Anyway, filing the I-90 and renewing my greencard was probably the simplest and most straight forward transaction that I have ever had with USCIS.
I want to thank you for this information and also thank anyone else who responded positively to my request for information. You've made it sound pretty easy and in a couple of months I will file mine. Thanks again, I really do appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Hawkslayer...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.