Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Removing conditions on green card

Removing conditions on green card

Old Feb 8th 2011, 1:43 pm
Just Joined

PhilG is just really nicePhilG is just really nicePhilG is just really nicePhilG is just really nicePhilG is just really nicePhilG is just really nicePhilG is just really nicePhilG is just really nicePhilG is just really nice
Default Removing conditions on green card

I came here on a K1 and have had my green card for nearly two years. Do I have to contact the powers that be to arrange my interview, or will they contact me? And what can I expect from the interview - is it just a formality, or a grilling? I'm happily married, by the way.
Thanks!
Old Feb 8th 2011, 1:52 pm
Forum Regular

uknobby has much to be proud ofuknobby has much to be proud ofuknobby has much to be proud ofuknobby has much to be proud ofuknobby has much to be proud ofuknobby has much to be proud ofuknobby has much to be proud ofuknobby has much to be proud ofuknobby has much to be proud ofuknobby has much to be proud ofuknobby has much to be proud of
Default Re: Removing conditions on green card

You need to file I-751 up to 90 days before your current GC expires.
Old Feb 8th 2011, 1:52 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Phil

Have you done any research on the I-751? Do you even know about the I-751?

This is the form that you and your spouse need to complete and mail to the USCIS within the 90 day period before the expiration date on your green card. Do not mail a day after the 90 days or a day before the 90 days.

Please read the instructions for the I-751 which is downloadable from the www.uscis.gov website and come back with any questions you have.

BTW not everyone is called for an interview for the removal of conditions. 9 out of 10 times it is approved out of hand without an interview.
Old Feb 8th 2011, 1:59 pm
Just Joined

PhilG is just really nicePhilG is just really nicePhilG is just really nicePhilG is just really nicePhilG is just really nicePhilG is just really nicePhilG is just really nicePhilG is just really nicePhilG is just really nice

No, pardon my ignorance, and thanks for your reply.
Old Feb 8th 2011, 3:25 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

No Problem. You're not the first to not know (perhaps you weren't told by the AO at the time of your AOS interview and approval or you didn't hear her correctly or just forgot).

Glad you came here to find out about an "interview" and was able to get it sorted out in time.
Old Feb 8th 2011, 3:45 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PhilG
I came here on a K1 and have had my green card for nearly two years. Do I have to contact the powers that be to arrange my interview, or will they contact me? And what can I expect from the interview - is it just a formality, or a grilling? I'm happily married, by the way.
Thanks!
Please read this right away to find out what you need to do.

Remove Conditions on Permanent Residence Based on Marriage
Your permanent residence status is conditional if it is based on a marriage that was less than 2 years old on the day you were given permanent residence. You are given conditional resident status on the day you are lawfully admitted to the United States on an immigrant visa or adjustment of your status to permanent residence.

Your status is conditional, because you must prove that you did not get married to evade the immigration laws of the United States. To remove these conditions you must file Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence.