Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Removal of Jurisdiction question

Removal of Jurisdiction question

Old Feb 9th 2013, 5:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Removal of Jurisdiction question

Originally Posted by materialcontroller
They're his kids as well you know.
Which is why I suggested trying to reach 50:50. Not 100:0 to the father as you seem to be suggesting.
Old Feb 9th 2013, 5:53 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I was thinking the same, how would you feel if your ex was taking them to live on another continent?
Old Feb 9th 2013, 5:55 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oregon Bound
I have a lawyer. We are currently awaiting a court date but this will be long and drawn out if we can't reach an agreement before the first court date. I for one, do not want to put the kids through the court process.
It's your ex-husband forcing this into court with (at least based on your account) unreasonable behavior and demands.

We are divorced but the mortgage is in both names as I can not afford to take on the mortgage in my own name.
It sounds like the house needs to be sold. It will sell if it is priced at its real value.
Old Feb 9th 2013, 5:55 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM
Which is why I suggested trying to reach 50:50. Not 100:0 to the father as you seem to be suggesting.
But the move to the USA isn't a 50:50 thing is it? It's 100:0 to the mother and her decision alone. It's actually quite decent of the father to agree to let the kids leave, so why should he have to pay for visits?

By agreeing to removal, the father has already paid his "share" of the 50:50 as far as I can see.
Old Feb 9th 2013, 5:57 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

But the move to the USA isn't a 50:50 thing is it? It's 100:0 to the mother and her decision alone. It's actually quite decent of the father to agree to let the kids leave, so why should he have to pay for visits?
Because one of them is age 15 and staying behind, and the other is 14 and old enough to stay behind too if he or she wanted.
Old Feb 9th 2013, 5:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

They're his kids as well you know.
That is very true but the reason he may be doing it is very important. If he is doing it out of concern for his the children, then that is a very good reason. If he is doing it because he can, then that is not a very good reason.

If he is doing it out of concern for his children, then he should also offer to pay child support since she will be taking care of two children and he will only be taking care of one child.
Old Feb 9th 2013, 6:01 pm
Forum Regular

Oregon Bound has a brilliant futureOregon Bound has a brilliant futureOregon Bound has a brilliant futureOregon Bound has a brilliant futureOregon Bound has a brilliant futureOregon Bound has a brilliant future

I have offered to pay for the kids to visit him in the summer, I will pay for the oldest daughter to visit me too. I know it must not be easy for him to see his children move away and it's not easy for me to leave my eldest behind but I am trying to make arrangements that suit the kids. He has refused point blank to contribute to any visits whatsoever and even wants me to pay his costs if he comes to the US to visit the children. I guess I realy just don't know what's right and what's fair. We will not have the best of incomes after we first move but the income should substantially increase as we get the ranch running again but for now and possibly a year, we will have enough but not a lot spare.
Old Feb 9th 2013, 6:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
It's your ex-husband forcing this into court with (at least based on your account) unreasonable behavior and demands.
Agreed. I understand why - who wouldn't try? But you (OP) shouldn't suffer all of his demands which is why I think you need a mediator of some sort. If it takes a court to become that mediator... well, it's not nice and it might even backfire badly. But do you give in without a fight? No!

But the move to the USA isn't a 50:50 thing is it? It's 100:0 to the mother and her decision alone. It's actually quite decent of the father to agree to let the kids leave, so why should he have to p[ay for visits?
Nonsense. They have agreed to separate, at least as far as living is concerned, and the mother has chosen where to live. The father has equally chosen where to live. That they are thousands of miles apart is irrelevant. Remember that he wants to dictate exactly when they will visit, and that the mother will pay for everything. We're only hearing one side but so far those demands are completely unreasonable. They are both the parents and they should be equally responsible. The mother will have her own costs to bear including moving, visas, setting up home, etc. Most of us know that living in the US is not necessarily any cheaper than the UK.
Old Feb 9th 2013, 6:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

and even wants me to pay his costs if he comes to the US to visit the children. I guess I realy just don't know what's right and what's fair.
So he gets free holidays too. No, it's not right or fair!
Old Feb 9th 2013, 6:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Nonsense. They have agreed to separate, at least as far as living is concerned, and the mother has chosen where to live. The father has equally chosen where to live. That they are thousands of miles apart is irrelevant. Remember that he wants to dictate exactly when they will visit, and that the mother will pay for everything. We're only hearing one side but so far those demands are completely unreasonable. They are both the parents and they should be equally responsible. The mother will have her own costs to bear including moving, visas, setting up home, etc. Most of us know that living in the US is not necessarily any cheaper than the UK.
That may seem to make sense but US courts many times won't even allow a parent with custodial rights to move more than a few miles away without the other parents consent even if there isn't any jobs in the area. However once the parent without custodial rights moves away, then the courts generally side with the parent that has custodial rights.

The courts generally makes it determination as to what is best for the child and not what is best for the parent.

Last edited by Michael; Feb 9th 2013 at 6:20 pm.
Old Feb 9th 2013, 6:13 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think the father is being unreasonable at all. Had this been a joint decision, then the idea they should both be "equally responsible" would be valid. But that's not the case.
Old Feb 9th 2013, 6:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Michael
That may seem to make sense but US courts many times won't even allow a parent with custodial rights to move more than a few miles away without the other parents consent even if there isn't any jobs in the area. However once the parent without custodial right moves away, then the courts generally side with the parent that has custodial rights.
I understand what you're saying but this isn't a US court - and the OP would prefer to agree outside of court.

I don't think the father is being unreasonable at all. Had this been a joint decision, then the idea they should both be "equally responsible" would be valid. But that's not the case.
We'll have to agree to disagree then. The separation is a joint decision: what happens after that, well of course the father won't agree so your point is moot. But that doesn't give him the right to screw over the mother for every penny she has - and from what she says, she doesn't have much, at least initially anyway.
Old Feb 9th 2013, 6:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I understand what you're saying but this isn't a US court - and the OP would prefer to agree outside of court.
I suspect the systems are similar where the court tries to decide what is best for the child and not what is best for the parent. Just because someone wants to settle outside the court does not necessarily mean they are right.

In my case, my ex wanted to temporarily leave the US (several years) with the kids and I agreed since I thought that was best for the children even though my lawyer said I could stop her or if I agreed to allow her to take the children out of the US, I could probably get my child support reduced to $0. However I decided I wanted everything to be fair so I allowed her to leave with the children.

I suspect the lawyer had ulterior motives since he probably saw big $$$ if a long court trail dragged on.

Last edited by Michael; Feb 9th 2013 at 6:41 pm.
Old Feb 9th 2013, 6:32 pm
Forum Regular

Oregon Bound has a brilliant futureOregon Bound has a brilliant futureOregon Bound has a brilliant futureOregon Bound has a brilliant futureOregon Bound has a brilliant futureOregon Bound has a brilliant future

OK thank you for the interesting perspectives. I do feel obligated to pay for the children's visits and am prepared to do just that. I did hope that maybe he cared enough about his children to come visit them in the US at his expense, we even offered to have them stay with us in another building on the ranch where we will be living.,or maybe help with the cost of christmas visits or something like that. he isn't prepared to do that. I guess one visit per year is enough for him. Both him and his wife work, he managed two foreign trips last year so money is not his issue.
Old Feb 9th 2013, 6:35 pm
Account Closed

OK thank you for the interesting perspectives. I do feel obligated to pay for the children's visits and am prepared to do just that. I did hope that maybe he cared enough about his children to come visit them in the US at his expense, we even offered to have them stay with us in another building on the ranch where we will be living.,or maybe help with the cost of christmas visits or something like that. he isn't prepared to do that. I guess one visit per year is enough for him. Both him and his wife work, he managed two foreign trips last year so money is not his issue.
You seem to have done as much as you can do.

Where your ex is being unreasonable is in expecting you to shoulder the burden for his costs. It's right that you've drawn the line at that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.