Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Removal of conditions & work authorisation

Removal of conditions & work authorisation

Old Apr 20th 2018, 10:32 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Removal of conditions & work authorisation

Since you no longer have a green card, I wouldn't carry the passport but a photocopy of the identification page and the stamped I-551 page.

BTW, while the law says a driver's license and a legend free social security card is enough for the I-9 and I agree with this if you are going for a new job, I'm of the let's get real here group. If you started employment with a work legend social security card and a green card that has an expiration date on it, then you either fight with HR about the "I don't need to show you anything" or just capitulate and show them the new I-551 in your passport and get it over and done with. I save my fights for things that are truly worth fighting for and to my thinking this isn't worth the aggravation.

In case you haven't already gotten the work legend removed from your ss card, then it behooves you to do so.

Last edited by Rete; Apr 20th 2018 at 12:29 pm.
Old Apr 21st 2018, 1:25 am
BE Enthusiast

technolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond repute

Work has asked to see my passport and I have no issue with it.

That's a great idea to carry photocopies of the relevant passport pages if that's acceptable.

Am I right to assume that by "work legend" you mean the words "Valid for work only with DHS authorization" which are overprinted on my social security card? Which was the change in my circumstances that allows me to have that wording removed? How do I get a new card without the wording? Visit my local social security office? Would I need to make an appointment, typically?
Old Apr 21st 2018, 1:34 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by technolog
Work has asked to see my passport and I have no issue with it.

That's a great idea to carry photocopies of the relevant passport pages if that's acceptable.

Am I right to assume that by "work legend" you mean the words "Valid for work only with DHS authorization" which are overprinted on my social security card? Which was the change in my circumstances that allows me to have that wording removed? How do I get a new card without the wording? Visit my local social security office? Would I need to make an appointment, typically?
You can just turn up at a social security administration office and show proof of being an LPR. They'll take your old social security card (with legend) and mail you a new one.
Old Feb 27th 2019, 3:08 am
BE Enthusiast

technolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by technolog
I had my Infopass appointment today. It was really straightforward and I was seen by a very helpful and friendly man. I was a little taken aback that they retained and cut the corner off of my green card but I suppose it makes sense as it's expired. I now have a temporary I-551 stamp in my brand new British passport and I'm good for another year. He told me that I-751 adjudications were currently running at 17 to 19 months. I'm not sure how much credence I should give that but, if true it would mean I should be receiving my 10-year green card around August to October after filing last March ('17).

Does this mean, by the letter of the rules, that I should now carry my British passport with me, in place of my green card?
So my I-551 stamp in my passport expires on April 19th 2019. Am I right to assume I need to make an Infopass appointment to get it renewed? How soon can I get the I-551 renewed? Is it 30 days before expiry?

Is there any news on how long the I-751s are taking now? My case was received on March 13th 2017.
Old Feb 27th 2019, 11:18 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

My case was received on March 13th 2017.
Wow!

Yes you need to make anther appointment and get another stamp, I would think you could do it any time, however the closer to the old one exoriing the longer before you have to do it again.
Old Feb 27th 2019, 11:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thank you
Old Feb 28th 2019, 3:09 am
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

Also, while reading older posts I noticed there was some confusion to the CF1 status on the Green Card. I was told at my AOS Interview that my GC would be stamped 'CF1' for Conditional Fiancé, and the one relating to it being my first GC.

Probably a bit late to the punch

Edit; also wouldn't hurt to ask at your next InfoPass appointment where along the line your application is... that said I really hope you get it completed before then!