Removal of Conditions: Two stories

Wikiposts

Removal of Conditions: Two stories

Old May 25th 2006, 3:13 pm
Forum Regular

John McHugh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Removal of Conditions: Two stories

Our story requires no response...

My wife Adela was approved for permanent-permanent residency and the only problem we face is that our assigned place for submitting updated photographs is Charleston, SC, and we already failed during one visit to find time to visit the USCIS office. :-)

I posted the other story late last year of a Latina friend on a similar track, but whose marriage was in trouble (waiting for a response on an I-751). Unfortunately, this situation has gotten worse, and divorce is now a virtual certainty. We've advised M___ that it's best that she end this on the best possible terms and if she hasn't received a response before the divorce is final, that she promptly files on her own behalf as soon as she's allowed to do so.

Based on Adela's timeline, our friend should have already had her case reviewed months ago (same center - Vermont- her case being two months behind).

My question is, is there a good way to obtain a status update? Her case cannot be located online, and when she called the dreaded 800 number, she was told her case is under investigation. As a USC, I had good success contacting a Senator on Adela's behalf (AP issue), but this girl is acting alone and is divorcing an abusive husband.

I'm confident this will work out in the long term, but for now, she's pretty desperate and alone (we've moved away, from Lynchburg, VA, to Greenville, SC). Any advice would be most appreciated.

John

P.S.: Incidentally, Adela is now working for an immigration attorney (the ultimate irony and a very long story). Her native Spanish/English fluency and communications degree are +++ for this role, and she's happy to be able to help a lot of people.
Old May 26th 2006, 5:47 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Removal of Conditions: Two stories

Originally Posted by John McHugh
My question is, is there a good way to obtain a status update? Her case cannot be located online, and when she called the dreaded 800 number, she was told her case is under investigation.
John,

There is no way to track individual I-751 (or N-400) applications/petitions. The only info you can get is to watch the posted processing time vs her NOA date, or try to patch together other individual's experiences (yours is close, but maybe not close enough).

Take whatever the 1-800# tells you with a big grain of salt.
Old May 26th 2006, 11:23 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by meauxna
John,

There is no way to track individual I-751 (or N-400) applications/petitions. The only info you can get is to watch the posted processing time vs her NOA date, or try to patch together other individual's experiences (yours is close, but maybe not close enough).

Take whatever the 1-800# tells you with a big grain of salt.

Thanks for the feedback. I've witnessed the fortune cookie reliability of the 800 line.

The date that VSC is currently processing I-751s is WAY past her filing date. The paranoid side of me, which isn't very dominant, wonders whether the husband of note confiscated her mail (he DOES want her to simply disappear). Still it's unlikely, given the potluck of timing issues with USCIS, but what if

a) she's been approved for LPR and doesn't know it,

or

b) she missed an interview because she was unaware that she was called for one?
Old May 26th 2006, 11:26 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

or

I'd make an Infopass appointment and find out if either of those apply to the situation.

Rene
Old May 26th 2006, 11:32 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the feedback. I've witnessed the fortune cookie reliability of the 800 line.

The date that VSC is currently processing I-751s is WAY past her filing date. The paranoid side of me, which isn't very dominant, wonders whether the husband of note confiscated her mail (he DOES want her to simply disappear). Still it's unlikely, given the potluck of timing issues with USCIS, but what if

or

If VSC's posted processing date is +30 days past her NOA date either a or b are def. possibilities. I'd do as Renene suggests and go into an office to find out the scoop. She should take her 2-year card with her and be prepared to complete the form for a new card (the officer filled ours in). We had to present 2 current passport fotos for the 10 year card; there is often a foto booth at the office or nearby.

You're a good friend to look out for her; I hope it turns out well for everyone.

PS: the husband theory isn't all that far fetched. I've seen people advise others to do the same when the OP is the USC--keep her mail and kick her to the kerb. People are funny.
Old May 26th 2006, 11:44 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Renene
I have a new name! I like it!
Old May 26th 2006, 11:49 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I'd make an Infopass appointment and find out if either of those apply to the situation.

Rene
Thanks Rene.

I just simulated this - I don't have the case info to actually schedule anything - and got the following response:

"At this time, there are no information appointments available for the office in your area. Please try back again later."

I will pass this along to M_____. Hopefully, after the holiday weekend, INFOPASS will prove possible.
Old May 26th 2006, 11:53 am

Thanks Rene.

I just simulated this - I don't have the case info to actually schedule anything - and got the following response:

"At this time, there are no information appointments available for the office in your area. Please try back again later."

I will pass this along to M_____. Hopefully, after the holiday weekend, INFOPASS will prove possible.
I've heard that if you try in the early morning or late at night, chances are greater of getting an appointment. It could take many attempts to get an appointment, but keep trying. Keep trying even over the weekend...appointments can open up on line anytime, I think.

Rene
Old May 26th 2006, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I have a new name! I like it!
I always call you that in my head.
Sometimes in PM.. you must've missed it. Sometimes it come out Nene. But that means 'baby' & you're getting too... er, never mind!
Old May 26th 2006, 1:21 pm

I always call you that in my head.
Sometimes in PM.. you must've missed it. Sometimes it come out Nene. But that means 'baby' & you're getting too... er, never mind!
That's so funny! My nieces and nephews used to call me Aunt Nene (pronounced nay-nay) when they were little. One of them still does, just to bug me, but I actually like it. LOL

I'm going to pretend I missed the reference to growing up.

Renene