Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Removal of conditions - Timing on receiving updated "green card".

Removal of conditions - Timing on receiving updated "green card".

Old Apr 12th 2016, 4:57 pm
Forum Regular

k.masson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Removal of conditions - Timing on receiving updated "green card".

Hello and thank you in advance if you can provide info.

In Jan 2016 filed for removal of conditions on my green card which was held for two years in February 2016. I received a letter from USCIS which states it has extended my status by one year (is that typical?). I've also completed my biometric requirement in early February but still have not received anything since. I was expecting an updated green card or something which states my current status in the USA.

1. Will i receive an updated green card as my current one has expired?

2. I am due to travel to England at the end of the month and all I have to prove my eligibility to stay in the USA is the letter I was sent which states a one year extension. I'm assuming that is not the correct form of proof of eligibility when re-entering USA border.

Any advise for moi?

Thanks again.
Old Apr 12th 2016, 5:23 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Removal of conditions - Timing on receiving updated "green card".

1. Eventually, yes. You'll receive a 10-year green card.

2. That extension letter IS the correct proof. Carry your expired green card plus that letter, and your passport.

Yes, all this is completely normal and typical.

Rene
Old Apr 12th 2016, 5:39 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you Rene.

Very helpful as always.
Old Apr 12th 2016, 5:43 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

You're welcome. It may take a long time to process the I-751. They are low on USCIS priority list because your status doesn't change while it's processing.

Don't forget you can apply for citizenship when eligible, even if the I-751 is not adjudicated by then.

Rene
Old Apr 12th 2016, 9:56 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with Rene on this. Be aware that removals are taking a long time - mine took about 9 months and that is pretty typical right now.
Old Apr 13th 2016, 10:42 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you Rene.

Thank you civilservant, I would have thought something was wrong after 9 months but I now know to expect it.
Old Apr 18th 2016, 3:40 am
Forum Regular

Cadenza-93 is a glorious beacon of lightCadenza-93 is a glorious beacon of lightCadenza-93 is a glorious beacon of lightCadenza-93 is a glorious beacon of lightCadenza-93 is a glorious beacon of lightCadenza-93 is a glorious beacon of lightCadenza-93 is a glorious beacon of lightCadenza-93 is a glorious beacon of lightCadenza-93 is a glorious beacon of lightCadenza-93 is a glorious beacon of lightCadenza-93 is a glorious beacon of light

Hi,
I just thought I'd chime in because I applied for removal of conditions last July and like you, received the extension letter. After my biometrics appt, we heard nothing, zip, zilch, nada and just when we transcended concern into 'what the heck is going on???' - we got the 10 yr green card. That was last week!
Btw, we flew out & drove out of the US after my gc had expired, with the letter etc in hand, no problems with re-entry.

Last edited by Cadenza-93; Apr 18th 2016 at 3:43 am.