Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Removal of conditions interview - does this mean they suspect me of something?

Removal of conditions interview - does this mean they suspect me of something?

Old May 2nd 2012, 7:16 pm
Just Joined

PhilG is just really nicePhilG is just really nicePhilG is just really nicePhilG is just really nicePhilG is just really nicePhilG is just really nicePhilG is just really nicePhilG is just really nicePhilG is just really nice
Default Removal of conditions interview - does this mean they suspect me of something?

I'm applying to remove the conditions from my green card. I've provided USCIS with ample evidence that I'm still married and living with my spouse, but now we've been called for interview.

Does this mean they have their doubts about whether the marriage is genuine, or is it just standard procedure?

Also, they've asked me to bring loads of documents with me, most of which they already have. One of these is my tax returns for the last two years. The last return I have is for 2008, basically because I'm a very bad procrastinator. Is this likely to be a problem?

Thanks for your help.
Old May 2nd 2012, 7:23 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Removal of conditions interview - does this mean they suspect me of something?

They may have doubts.

Or you may be one of the few who are interviewed as standard procedure.

Although USCIS is not an enforcer for the IRS, if you should have filed tax returns and have not you may find yourself in trouble of one kind or another.

Regards, JEff

Last edited by jeffreyhy; May 2nd 2012 at 7:27 pm.
Old May 2nd 2012, 9:46 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Removal of conditions interview - does this mean they suspect me of something?

Originally Posted by PhilG
One of these is my tax returns for the last two years. The last return I have is for 2008, basically because I'm a very bad procrastinator. Is this likely to be a problem?
If you have proof that you were not required to file a return for the past two years, you'll probably be fine. If you were required to file a return but didn't... you'll find out in short order that dealing with the the IRS will make dealing with USCIS seems like a pleasant vacation in the tropics!

You could end up in prison for not filing a tax return if you were otherwise required to do so.

Ian
Old May 2nd 2012, 11:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

I'm applying to remove the conditions from my green card. I've provided USCIS with ample evidence that I'm still married and living with my spouse, but now we've been called for interview.

Does this mean they have their doubts about whether the marriage is genuine, or is it just standard procedure?

Also, they've asked me to bring loads of documents with me, most of which they already have. One of these is my tax returns for the last two years. The last return I have is for 2008, basically because I'm a very bad procrastinator. Is this likely to be a problem?

Thanks for your help.
The fact that you have been asked to produce tax returns from the past two years and you do not have them because you have not filed tax returns is not likely to help your case is it?
Old May 3rd 2012, 12:42 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Bring proof that you filed for an extension each year, and that you continued to file for extensions as necessary. Not sure how long you can extend, but whatever proof you have that you did what was required from IRS, bring it.
Rene
Old May 3rd 2012, 6:50 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Quite possibly, yes ...

Your Responsibilities as a Permanent Resident

As a permanent resident, you are:
  • Required to obey all laws of the United States the states, and localities
  • Required to file your income tax returns and report your income to the U.S. Internal Revenue Service and state taxing authorities
  • Expected to support the democratic form of government and not to change the government through illegal means
  • Required, if you are a male age 18 through 25, to register with the Selective Service
Old May 3rd 2012, 1:36 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Why didn't your spouse (the USC) file? She must have been filing before your marriage?

Remember if you own the feds or the state money for your unfiled taxes you will owe a penalty and interest until it is paid in full. And if you are due a refund, you not only have missed getting your check but you won't get it with interest.
Old May 3rd 2012, 3:32 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

The last return I have is for 2008, basically because I'm a very bad procrastinator. Is this likely to be a problem?
If it's just because you're a very bad procrastinator, then hop to it and file 2009, 2010, and 2011 tax returns NOW, and bring proof of such to the interview!

Rene