Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Removal of conditions (green card) after 3 years of being a green card holder.

Removal of conditions (green card) after 3 years of being a green card holder.

Old Apr 5th 2017, 4:18 am
Forum Regular

k.masson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Removal of conditions (green card) after 3 years of being a green card holder.

- k1 visa.
- Moved to USA Jan 2013
- Green card since Jan 2014
- Application for removal of conditions Jan 2016

Right so I have three questions folks. As above I've had a green card since Jan 2014 and in Jan 2016 I filed for removal of conditions.

Jan 2017 I received a letter from USCIS requesting for more information which I submitted and am still waiting to hear back from them.

Q1: Can I proceed with all that is involved with becoming a US citizen before I get a response from USCIS or do I have to wait for the next steps of removal of conditions?
I've been married to my American wife and lived in the USA for over 4 years and I've been a green card holder for a little over 3 years now.

Q2: How long on average have people had to wait from filing for removal of conditions to getting the new unconditional green card?

Q3: Can I travel to England and still use the letter from USCIS which has my current status when re entering the USA?

Thank you in advance.
Old Apr 5th 2017, 4:32 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Removal of conditions (green card) after 3 years of being a green card holder.

1. Yes, you can apply for citizenship even if the I-751 isn't yet adjudicated.

2. I'm not sure of current times.

3. As long as you have the 1-year extension letter, your 2-year expired green card, and your unexpired passport, you'll be fine.

Rene
Old Apr 5th 2017, 12:36 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Removal of conditions (green card) after 3 years of being a green card holder.

Originally Posted by k.masson
Q1: Can I proceed with all that is involved with becoming a US citizen before I get a response from USCIS...
Yes. In fact, filing the N-400 will force adjudication of the I-751, because the N-400 can't be approved until the I-751 is approved... even if the I-751 approval happens just moments before the N-400 is approved.

Q2: How long on average have people had to wait from filing for removal of conditions to getting the new unconditional green card?
Removing conditions is one of the lowest priority applications, since your status as a PR doesn't change at all during the process.

Q3: Can I travel to England and still use the letter from USCIS which has my current status when re entering the USA?
The extension letter is valid as proof of your status for only one year. It sounds as though you're already past that point. If that's the case, you'll need to make an InfoPass appointment and get your passport stamped to extend your status again. If you're still within the one year validity of the extension letter, then the letter, expired green card, and unexpired passport are all you need.

Ian
Old Apr 5th 2017, 1:04 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly what my hubby did when it was taking his ROC so long. He applied for citizenship. It forced the adjudication of his ROC which 'happened' less than 2 weeks before his naturalization interview.

Go for it!

PS if you are pass the expiration of the letter, make an infopass appointment for our local USCIS office and get a temporary I-551 stamp in your passpot.
Old Apr 5th 2017, 6:29 pm
Forum Regular

k.masson is an unknown quantity at this point

Rene, Ian and Rete very much appreciated for your responses, very helpful and as of now I have no questions as you all covered everything. Thanx again everyone.

Regards