British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Marriage Based Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/)
-   -   Removal of conditions.. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/removal-conditions-906607/)

LauraLou07 Dec 7th 2017 7:20 am

Removal of conditions..

Hi, so i have a few questions but first i will catch everyone up. I arrived on a fiancee visa, got married and got my 2 year conditional resident green card. Now as i am aware, i have to petition to remove my conditions (I-751) DURING the 90 days prior to my expiration date on my green card? My green card expires at the beginning of march, so would i be best waiting till after Christmas to 1) ensure that i am falling nicely within the '90' day period, and to 2) hopefully miss out on all the horrible postage. Also, another question being that during the removal of condition process if i don't receive my next visa before the end of march am i still allowed to work and reside in the USA?

Thanks! :)

Noorah101 Dec 7th 2017 9:25 am

Re: Removal of conditions..

You must file during that 90- day period. It doesn't matter if you file early in that window or late in that window.

Postage will cost the same no matter when you file it.

Once the I-751 is filed, you will receive a 1- year extension letter. You will remain a PR with the right to live and work in the USA.

Also, for correct terminology sake, you won't be getting another visa. You'll be getting a 10- year green card.

Rene

LauraLou07 Dec 7th 2017 2:16 pm

Thanks Noorah! I am right in thinking that the 90 day period is the 90 day run up before my expiration date on my temporary green card correct?

Noorah101 Dec 7th 2017 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by LauraLou07 (Post 12395450)
Thanks Noorah! I am right in thinking that the 90 day period is the 90 day run up before my expiration date on my temporary green card correct?

Just in case the date on your green card is wrong for some reason, count forwards 2 years from the date you became a PR. Then, from that 2-year date, count backwards 90 days.

Make sure you count 90 days, not 3 months.

For terminology sake, the card you current have is "conditional", not "temporary". :)

Rene

Rete Dec 7th 2017 3:20 pm

In addition to Noorah's advice, if you were thinking of naturalizing you can do that 90 days before the third anniversary of your becoming a conditional permanent resident even if the removal of conditions has not been adjudicated. Just be sure that the marriage is a full 3 yrs old before you file the N-400 for naturalizing.

DrDogbert Dec 18th 2017 11:58 pm

Just a heads up on this their processing times for this form is 14 months (CA Office). I filled my in early Sept 16 and had to get an extension to the letter you get.

Be prepared to wait once you submit....