Reload this Page >

Removal of conditional PR status

Wikiposts

Removal of conditional PR status

Old Nov 20th 2002, 5:03 am
Forum Regular

swingin scot is on a distinguished road
Default Removal of conditional PR status

I am a UK citizen who just received my conditional permanent residence status through marriage to a USC. I know this is for 2 years but the stamp in my passport only says it is valid for 1 year. Do I have to do something by next year to continue the conditional status or what? I though I only had to petition to remove it and gain permanent status in 2 years. Very confused. Thanks
Old Nov 20th 2002, 5:08 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Removal of conditional PR status

Originally posted by swingin scot
I am a UK citizen who just received my conditional permanent residence status through marriage to a USC. I know this is for 2 years but the stamp in my passport only says it is valid for 1 year. Do I have to do something by next year to continue the conditional status or what? I though I only had to petition to remove it and gain permanent status in 2 years. Very confused. Thanks
Hi:

It is a common error to conflate the duration of status with the duration of the documentation.

You were granted permanent status subject to a two year condition -- net effect being status valid for two years unless you do the I-751 at the appropriate time.

The STAMP is valid for one year, but your status is valid for the two years as I just mentioned. You hsould get the actual plastic I-551 card in the mail in the near future -- htat will have an expiry of two years.

BTW, the so-called "10-year" card is for truly permanent status.
Old Nov 20th 2002, 5:39 am
BE Enthusiast

simon bland is a jewel in the roughsimon bland is a jewel in the roughsimon bland is a jewel in the roughsimon bland is a jewel in the roughsimon bland is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by swingin scot
You only have to do something at the end of 1 year if

a: You have not received your plastic card and
b: You wanto to travel outside the US and return after the stamp expires

other than that, just apply for reomval of conditions after 2 year, making sure the application is received by INS before the 2 year expiry
Old Nov 20th 2002, 6:00 am
Banned

Ranjini will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by simon bland
You only have to do something at the end of 1 year if

a: You have not received your plastic card and
b: You wanto to travel outside the US and return after the stamp expires

other than that, just apply for reomval of conditions after 2 year, making sure the application is received by INS before the 2 year expiry
To put it briefly...... go get another stamp, at the end of one year. Ideally, you should recieve your plastic card in the mail before that.