Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

RELOCATION AGENT WONT SHOW US HOUSES TIL VISA APPROVED. WHY??

Wikiposts

RELOCATION AGENT WONT SHOW US HOUSES TIL VISA APPROVED. WHY??

Old Jun 29th 2007, 9:26 pm
In Orange County, CA.

cybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond repute
Default RELOCATION AGENT WONT SHOW US HOUSES TIL VISA APPROVED. WHY??

Ok, she might think she would be wasting her time as we cant sign up yet. However, anyone know the possible reasons for this?

Background:
  • L1 Visa application being expedited. Embassy interview likely within next 2 weeks.
  • Family all fly out on 1 August.
  • Relocation agency company wont even show us any houses without the visa being finalised.
  • What I dont understand is that on a previous visit, we looked around loads of them, also OH spend a Saturday morning with agent, viewing houses in our preferred area. Obviously, the visa was not granted then.

Why the big switch around? Did the relocation agent make a boob in letting us view?

My view: look around now, make up short list having checked out schools. once visa granted, sign up immediately, therefore with luck, no need to stay in hotel for weeks.

Puzzled??????
Old Jun 30th 2007, 1:20 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: RELOCATION AGENT WONT SHOW US HOUSES TIL VISA APPROVED. WHY??

Get another agent. There's no reason they shouldn't show you the homes. You don't even need a visa to buy a home, you can buy one while here on the VWP if you wanted to.

Rene
Old Jun 30th 2007, 1:31 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cybersecretary
Ok, she might think she would be wasting her time as we cant sign up yet. However, anyone know the possible reasons for this?

Background:
  • L1 Visa application being expedited. Embassy interview likely within next 2 weeks.
  • Family all fly out on 1 August.
  • Relocation agency company wont even show us any houses without the visa being finalised.
  • What I dont understand is that on a previous visit, we looked around loads of them, also OH spend a Saturday morning with agent, viewing houses in our preferred area. Obviously, the visa was not granted then.

Why the big switch around? Did the relocation agent make a boob in letting us view?

My view: look around now, make up short list having checked out schools. once visa granted, sign up immediately, therefore with luck, no need to stay in hotel for weeks.

Puzzled??????
Have you asked your husband's employer for help in getting this sorted?
Old Jun 30th 2007, 2:12 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Get another agent. There's no reason they shouldn't show you the homes. You don't even need a visa to buy a home, you can buy one while here on the VWP if you wanted to.

Rene

Totally agree. She probably wants to have her Summer weekends as free as possible to spend time with her family and as far as she's concerned, you're wasting her time until she knows you have a commitment to becoming a resident in the US.

Nevertheless, if she was truly professional she would continue to show you properties (perhaps she's a part-timer? Many, many women are where I live and just do it for 'pin' money).

As Noorah says, anyone - even a non-US resident - can buy property in the States and I guess that perhaps she's previously had dealings with a potential expat applying for an H1 visa which never came through. Her commission is all she cares about.

Get another agent!
Old Jun 30th 2007, 2:15 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Totally agree. She probably wants to have her Summer weekends as free as possible to spend time with her family and as far as she's concerned, you're wasting her time until she knows you have a commitment to becoming a resident in the US.

Nevertheless, if she was truly professional she would continue to show you properties (perhaps she's a part-timer? Many, many women are where I live and just do it for 'pin' money).

As Noorah says, anyone - even a non-US resident - can buy property in the States and I guess that perhaps she's previously had dealings with a potential expat applying for an H1 visa which never came through. Her commission is all she cares about.

Get another agent!
But I thought the OP was referring to a relocation agent, not a realtor...

Are we talking renting or buying?
Old Jun 30th 2007, 5:05 am
In Orange County, CA.

cybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
But I thought the OP was referring to a relocation agent, not a realtor...

Are we talking renting or buying?
sorry, i didnt clarify that, we are renting to start out. although the realtor i contacted direct said we had to go through the relocation agent. is there some weird law????? or would it just be that things go so quickly that there is no point looking before you have your visa?
Old Jun 30th 2007, 6:05 am
Homebody

Originally Posted by cybersecretary
sorry, i didnt clarify that, we are renting to start out. although the realtor i contacted direct said we had to go through the relocation agent. is there some weird law????? or would it just be that things go so quickly that there is no point looking before you have your visa?
Realtors don't deal with rental properties.

Relocation agents are usually appointed by companies helping their important staff with moving, including finding a property to either rent or buy.

Not sure quite who you are dealing with, but may not be the best person for the job.

Has your husband's company appointed people moving from abroad before? If so, they should be able to point you to someone who is more clued up about L1s etc.

When are you moving? Bear in mind that if there is a college nearby and you're moving over the summer, and hoping to rent an apartment, you'll be competing with a lot of students.
Old Jun 30th 2007, 6:22 am
In Orange County, CA.

Originally Posted by Elvira
Realtors don't deal with rental properties.

Relocation agents are usually appointed by companies helping their important staff with moving, including finding a property to either rent or buy.

Not sure quite who you are dealing with, but may not be the best person for the job.

Has your husband's company appointed people moving from abroad before? If so, they should be able to point you to someone who is more clued up about L1s etc.

When are you moving? Bear in mind that if there is a college nearby and you're moving over the summer, and hoping to rent an apartment, you'll be competing with a lot of students.
Hi there, there is a Uni closeish but not too close, maybe 15 miles away so prob not going to affect us. Have had an email back saying they will explain to the realtors what our situation is and should be able to get us some viewings.

Although the parent company is huge and has done many many overseas relcoations, the subsidiary hasnt and its been a bit of a struggle to get things going. Think we are in the position of being the guinea pigs.

I wouldnt give a rats arse about where we were living if we didnt have kids. Want house sorted so can get kids into preferred school in time for start of term in September. Bad enough being the newby, let alone starting the term late.

"Lucky" for them, I am pushy.
Old Jun 30th 2007, 6:18 pm
In Orange County, CA.

UPDATE:

think whatever weird policy the relocation agency has been trying to put onto us, is now sorted out. Agent says will now be happy to show husband some houses next time he is over. Duh.

All we need to get sorted now is the visa ................. bit stressful getting all the timings set up and co-ordinated.
Old Jul 1st 2007, 9:47 am
BE Enthusiast

dh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of light

So how long does it take from finding a place you like (which is available) to being able to move in? I am due to be in the US at the beginning of September - visa due mid-august. I have the option of going on a house hunting trip at some point - but how late should I leave it?
Old Jul 1st 2007, 9:53 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dh010447
So how long does it take from finding a place you like (which is available) to being able to move in? I am due to be in the US at the beginning of September - visa due mid-august. I have the option of going on a house hunting trip at some point - but how late should I leave it?
Renting or buying?
Old Jul 1st 2007, 8:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

dh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by meauxna
Renting or buying?
Sorry - forgot to mention, that would be renting. Not sure if it'll be an apartment or house yet though.
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 5:33 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dh010447
Sorry - forgot to mention, that would be renting. Not sure if it'll be an apartment or house yet though.
When I advertise a rental, and it is available, that means you can move in the next day.
Note that there is a longer application period with 'corporate' type rentals.. maybe a week or so.

I like to sort of 'land' in a place before making a year-long commitment. It's typical to find the 'cool' neighborhood two days after signing that lease...

Do some advance research on craigslist to narrow down your search area.
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 6:12 am
In Orange County, CA.

When I advertise a rental, and it is available, that means you can move in the next day.
Note that there is a longer application period with 'corporate' type rentals.. maybe a week or so.

I like to sort of 'land' in a place before making a year-long commitment. It's typical to find the 'cool' neighborhood two days after signing that lease...

ta v much. have pretty much got an area we are interested in. OH already working out there so is doing research and drive bys.
Old Jul 4th 2007, 6:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for that.

What is 'craigslist' though?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.