Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Recent POE on K1/K3 through NY JFK?

Wikiposts

Recent POE on K1/K3 through NY JFK?

Old May 28th 2004, 2:14 am
Living in Milwaukee, USA!

mcjimbo will become famous soon enough
Default Recent POE on K1/K3 through NY JFK?

Hi all,

I've got a question. My wondefully busy fiancee still hasn't booked my ticket from New York to either Chicago or Milwaukee to meet her. Anyway the prices have gone up, but we managed to find a good single fare but its from New York LGA to Milwaukee (MKE) for $189.

Now heres my question. I arrive at JFK from Heathrow at 3.40pm Saturday June 12. The flight from LGA to MKE flys at 7pm.

How long roughly has it taken people who have recently (last 3 months) entered JFK on a K1 to clear customs and get the work permit, total time. I know getting from JFK to LGA is about a 30-40 minute cab ride, but i'm more concerned about best and worse case scenarios here.

Will 3 hours 20 mins be enough to get through customs, get work permit and get to LGA?

Thanks in advance

James
Old May 28th 2004, 6:27 am
Eric S.

Default Re: Recent POE on K1/K3 through NY JFK?

I flew with my fiance when she came over and our POE was JFK. I think our
total process took about an hour. We had to go to a side room at
Immigration and most of the time was just waiting in there for them to get
to us. So it probably mostly depends on how busy they are when you arrive.
Getting the work permit doesn't require any extra time. They just stamp it
in your passport along with everything else. Going through customs also
takes a minimal amount of time. Normally, you just hand over your
declaration card and walk on through. But could take longer if they decide
to check out your bags.

By the way, there is a shuttle bus from JFK to LaGuardia. It might take a
little bit more time, but will save you some money over a cab.

- Eric S.

"mcjimbo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Hi all,
    > I've got a question. My wondefully busy fiancee still hasn't
    > booked my ticket from New York to either Chicago or Milwaukee to meet
    > her. Anyway the prices have gone up, but we managed to find a good
    > single fare but its from New York LGA to Milwaukee (MKE) for $189.
    > Now
    > heres my question. I arrive at JFK from Heathrow at 3.40pm Saturday June
    > 12. The flight from LGA to MKE flys at 7pm.
    > How long roughly has it
    > taken people who have recently (last 3 months) entered JFK on a K1 to
    > clear customs and get the work permit, total time. I know getting from
    > JFK to LGA is about a 30-40 minute cab ride, but i'm more concerned
    > about best and worse case scenarios here.
    > Will 3 hours 20 mins be
    > enough to get through customs, get work permit and get to LGA?
    > Thanks
    > in advance
    > James
    > --
    > James Davidson
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old May 28th 2004, 7:43 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi James,

My then fiance and I flew into JFK from Istanbul on April 21st. Our immigration process took 2 hours from getting off the plane to getting to the connecting flight gate at JFK. It was a very smooth process, and we made it to the connecting flight with 20 minutes to spare.

I should point out, though, that because he's Iranian, they had to do a "special registration" on him, which could have been why ours took longer. I am not sure if special registration is done for everyone (I tend to think not), or only those from suspected terrorist countries.

I guess if your POE experience only takes 1 hour, you'll have time to switch airports. If it takes longer, you might be pushing it.

Good luck, and congrats on the visa and the upcoming trip!

Rene
Old May 28th 2004, 8:24 am
Weary and Still Waiverin'

Nassara is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Eric S.
I flew with my fiance when she came over and our POE was JFK. I think our
total process took about an hour. We had to go to a side room at
Immigration and most of the time was just waiting in there for them to get
to us. So it probably mostly depends on how busy they are when you arrive.
Getting the work permit doesn't require any extra time. They just stamp it
in your passport along with everything else. Going through customs also
takes a minimal amount of time. Normally, you just hand over your
declaration card and walk on through. But could take longer if they decide
to check out your bags.

By the way, there is a shuttle bus from JFK to LaGuardia. It might take a
little bit more time, but will save you some money over a cab.

- Eric S.

The shuttle bus is $11 leaves every 30 min takes 45 to get to LGA I am having the same problem . Good Luck
Old May 28th 2004, 8:30 am
BE Enthusiast

AlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really nice

Originally posted by mcjimbo
Hi all,

I've got a question. My wondefully busy fiancee still hasn't booked my ticket from New York to either Chicago or Milwaukee to meet her. Anyway the prices have gone up, but we managed to find a good single fare but its from New York LGA to Milwaukee (MKE) for $189.
James
Erm, why has she got to book your flight for you? What was wrong with booking your flight from London to wherever is the end stop? It would have most likely been the same price as your ticket anyhow. Also, any reason you're not going directly to Chicago? If it's the work permit thing, I hear that they don't always give one at JFK.

Last edited by AlisonPA; May 28th 2004 at 8:33 am.
Old May 28th 2004, 9:33 am
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by mcjimbo
Hi all,

Now heres my question. I arrive at JFK from Heathrow at 3.40pm Saturday June 12. The flight from LGA to MKE flys at 7pm.

How long roughly has it taken people who have recently (last 3 months) entered JFK on a K1 to clear customs and get the work permit, total time. I know getting from JFK to LGA is about a 30-40 minute cab ride, but i'm more concerned about best and worse case scenarios here.

Will 3 hours 20 mins be enough to get through customs, get work permit and get to LGA?

Thanks in advance

James
Hey there James!!

It only took me 5 minutes to clear immigration even though I was the officer's first K3, I was a bit astounded because JFK is a very busy airport, I didn't think a K3 would be rare to the immigration officer
35 minutes to get my baggage, 2 minutes at customs, about 20 minutes to check in my baggage for the next fly and 10 minutes to go my next flight's gate.
A friend of mine flew into LGA and she said that it was far from being a busy airport.
Old May 28th 2004, 9:40 am

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Noorah101
Hi James,

My then fiance and I flew into JFK from Istanbul on April 21st. Our immigration process took 2 hours from getting off the plane to getting to the connecting flight gate at JFK. It was a very smooth process, and we made it to the connecting flight with 20 minutes to spare.

I should point out, though, that because he's Iranian, they had to do a "special registration" on him, which could have been why ours took longer. I am not sure if special registration is done for everyone (I tend to think not), or only those from suspected terrorist countries.

I guess if your POE experience only takes 1 hour, you'll have time to switch airports. If it takes longer, you might be pushing it.

Good luck, and congrats on the visa and the upcoming trip!

Rene

Special registration?? What is it exactly??
Old May 28th 2004, 10:03 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Hypertweeky
Special registration?? What is it exactly??
Hi Hyper!

Sadegh had to fill out a 1-sheet information form...kind of like the biosheet...with full name, previous address, current address in the states, mother and father info, phone numbers, military duty served, employment...that kind of thing. Officer Cruz took us in another room where it was just Officer Cruz, Sadegh, and me. We watched while he entered all the information on that page into the computer. Then he had Sadegh do another index finger print and photo (besides the one he did with the first officer upon entry). He gave us the temp. EAD and we were done. That was the special registration.

I know for sure Iranians have to do this (I believe they have to do that every year, too!), and it may be that anyone from "terrorist" countries have to do this.

We didn't mind...it just means we're "special"

Rene
Old May 28th 2004, 10:04 am

Originally posted by Noorah101
Hi Hyper!

Sadegh had to fill out a 1-sheet information form...kind of like the biosheet...with full name, previous address, current address in the states, mother and father info, phone numbers, military duty served, employment...that kind of thing. Officer Cruz took us in another room where it was just Officer Cruz, Sadegh, and me. We watched while he entered all the information on that page into the computer. Then he had Sadegh do another index finger print and photo (besides the one he did with the first officer upon entry). He gave us the temp. EAD and we were done. That was the special registration.

I know for sure Iranians have to do this (I believe they have to do that every year, too!), and it may be that anyone from "terrorist" countries have to do this.

We didn't mind...it just means we're "special"

Rene

That sounds like a pain.. but yeah you are right you guys are SO SPECIAL!!!
Enjoy the long weekend!!
Old May 28th 2004, 9:30 pm
Living in Milwaukee, USA!

mcjimbo will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by AlisonPA
Erm, why has she got to book your flight for you? What was wrong with booking your flight from London to wherever is the end stop? It would have most likely been the same price as your ticket anyhow. Also, any reason you're not going directly to Chicago? If it's the work permit thing, I hear that they don't always give one at JFK.
Yes im going to JFK for a work permit.

Regarding ticket prices i couldn't get anything reasonable for a multi stop flight from London -> NY JFK -> Chicago. So in the end I just booked a single fare to New York, and my fiancee has some United vouchers which she was going to use to get me a flight from there to either Chicago or Milwaukee.

Anyway as it turns out I booked my flight. I got one leaving NY LGA at 8pm which gives me over 4 hours to get everything sorted and get there for that flight. It also flys onto Milwaukee from Chicago Midway for only $197. I was pretty happy with that!

Thanks for all the info everyone.

James
Old Jun 1st 2004, 2:57 am
Forum Regular

MMA2002 will become famous soon enough

good luck with everything....
mahir didn't have to even ask for his ead...they just gave it to him....it took about 1-1.5 hours to get through and that was at 3:30 on a tuesday....congrats on finally getting home to the US....it's been a week he's been home with me and i honestly can't remember when he wasn't with me....i keep thinking though that half our "visit" is over and he'll be going back when he's now here for good! enjoy every second....
Old Jun 1st 2004, 7:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by MMA2002
good luck with everything....
mahir didn't have to even ask for his ead...they just gave it to him....it took about 1-1.5 hours to get through and that was at 3:30 on a tuesday....congrats on finally getting home to the US....it's been a week he's been home with me and i honestly can't remember when he wasn't with me....i keep thinking though that half our "visit" is over and he'll be going back when he's now here for good! enjoy every second....

Hehehee..I've been thinking the same thing..and then it dawns on me that he's not going home, he's here to stay! It's such an odd feeling to know I don't have to take him to the airport anytime soon.

Oh, and James, Scott got his EAD stamp without asking as well. His wait to get through immigration and the secondary inspection was about 1.5 hrs. He arrived at around 10:00 on a Friday night and he thinks that only 3 planes had arrived around the same time as his. Not sure how busy the POE will be around the middle of the afternoon, but that is sure to affect how long the wait will be.

Good luck tomorrow!!

Cheers,
Jamie