Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Recent Marriage to US Citizen- where to go from here!

Wikiposts

Recent Marriage to US Citizen- where to go from here!

Old Jun 7th 2008, 7:59 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recent Marriage to US Citizen- where to go from here!

Originally Posted by sselbie
All in all it is a 12 month period depending on process times but the lawyer jumps hoops that you can't!
How odd... considering that it is not the lawyer who is applying for the immigration benefit.

Passport pics which must be specified size and not from a machine!
As long as they meet the specifications, they can come from anywhere... including your own digital camera and glossy paper.

Some prefer to go it alone but with rules changing constantly I prefer the lawyer!
The rules don't change "constantly", but I certainly understand your desire to use a lawyer - especially if it helps you sleep better at night!

Ian
Old Jun 7th 2008, 11:37 am
Forum Regular

petalsf is just really nicepetalsf is just really nicepetalsf is just really nicepetalsf is just really nicepetalsf is just really nicepetalsf is just really nicepetalsf is just really nicepetalsf is just really nice

Originally Posted by MissCharlotte
Yes. I came back to England ( I am a UK citizen) because I knew you couldn't adjust your status whilst in the USA from entering under the visa waiver programme.
My husband lives in New York.
Hi Charlotte, just a quickie and no use to you now. If you entered the US on the VWP with no intention to marry when you arrived, you are able to adjust your status from the US (that's what happened to me). Though it sounds like you came over to marry him, hope you had a wonderful wedding huni

Cheers
Petals
Old Jun 7th 2008, 12:23 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petalsf
Hi Charlotte, just a quickie and no use to you now. If you entered the US on the VWP with no intention to marry when you arrived, you are able to adjust your status from the US (that's what happened to me).
Since it is of no use to her now, but it might confuse someone else in the future, I'd like to amend your comments like so:

"when you arrived, you MAY BE able to adjust your status from the US (that's what happened to me)" (and of course my situation was unique to me and my now-spouse; your details may be quite different.)
Old Jun 7th 2008, 1:40 pm
Forum Regular

petalsf is just really nicepetalsf is just really nicepetalsf is just really nicepetalsf is just really nicepetalsf is just really nicepetalsf is just really nicepetalsf is just really nicepetalsf is just really nice

Originally Posted by meauxna
Since it is of no use to her now, but it might confuse someone else in the future, I'd like to amend your comments like so:

"when you arrived, you MAY BE able to adjust your status from the US (that's what happened to me)" (and of course my situation was unique to me and my now-spouse; your details may be quite different.)
yes you're quite right, apologies off back to my own form filling. petals