Recent Bankrupt

Old Jun 18th 2008, 11:28 am
Just Joined

mrs_sdp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Recent Bankrupt

Hi All

My fiance lives in the USA and I live in Scotland. We have to wait until September to file for our fiancee visa as I am still waiting on my divorce to become final.

The problem is basically that he went through a nasty divorce four years ago and because of the financial strains of not being able to sell his two salary house and various other legal bills pertaining to his divorce he eventually had to declare himself bankrupt.

This was six months ago and he is once again financially stable. He has a long work record with the same company (for the last 30 years) and his yearly salary is around $50,000.

Will the fact that he is a declared bankrupt make it more difficult for us?

We have been together for two years now and I just recently got back from my 11th trip to the USA - I stayed for the full three months this time. I'm just waiting patiently for his next visit to Scotland .. the 21st of July can't get here fast enough!

Thanks in anticipation ..
Old Jun 18th 2008, 11:34 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recent Bankrupt

I've moved your thread to the appropriate forum.

No, his bankruptcy will not be an issue. In fact there is no reason to disclose it as a credit check is not done on the USC or the foreign citizen. As long as the USC can meet the required financial mark for the affidavit of support, he is fine. You don't say how many people are in the household, i.e. kids, etc.
Old Jun 18th 2008, 11:46 am
Just Joined

mrs_sdp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Recent Bankrupt

Hi Rete

Apologies, I realised as soon as I hit the "submit" button that it was in the wrong place!

Thanks so much for your input - it's certainly puts my mind at ease.

In answer to your question, it's just going to be the two of us in the household. My fiance has three children - two are in college and don't live with him and the other one is 14 and lives with his ex-wife, her mother. He does pay child support for her though and he has her every second weekend and some of the holidays.

Hope this is enough information. Thanks again for your help!