Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Receiving a summons, will it affect citizenship??

Wikiposts

Receiving a summons, will it affect citizenship??

Old Sep 3rd 2008, 12:52 pm
Just Joined

ainmana is just really niceainmana is just really niceainmana is just really niceainmana is just really niceainmana is just really niceainmana is just really niceainmana is just really niceainmana is just really nice
Default Receiving a summons, will it affect citizenship??

Bizarre case of a friend who received a summons on NYC city street simply because she uttered a profanity. This is her story in her words:
"I was walking in my neighborhood, and trying to operate my cellphone which wouldn't work. I muttered a profanity rather loudly, a cruising police car stopped me and gave me a summons for profanity, and then two more for "failure to produce ID" and "not obeying lawful order". I didn't produce an ID because I didn't have one on me [I had just stepped out for five minutes to get a soda], and the latter I just thought that since I hadn't done anything wrong I did not have to give out my name. I meant no disrepect to anyone and just didn't know that I had to give out my name and address to the police even if I am innocent. I have to appear in criminal court in the next few days. I have been a law-abiding person all my life, never been arrested or received a ticket or even a reprimand for ANYTHING and I am not sure how to handle this -- how to talk to the judge, how serious this is and whether it will appear on my record and could go to trial and affect my citizenship"

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by ainmana; Sep 3rd 2008 at 12:55 pm.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 1:20 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Receiving a summons, will it affect citizenship??

You need to consult an immigration attorney immediately. How your case is plead can affect your status if you are an alien. Don't delay.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 1:37 pm
Just Joined

ainmana is just really niceainmana is just really niceainmana is just really niceainmana is just really niceainmana is just really niceainmana is just really niceainmana is just really niceainmana is just really nice

Unfortunately my friend doesn't have money for a lawyer, she was hoping to go to court and just tell the truth, plead guilty for uttering a profanity and not-guilty for " failure to produce ID" since she didn't have one on her. Also she was under great stress at the time due to a death in the family and having lost her job--would the judge take that into consideration?

Last edited by ainmana; Sep 3rd 2008 at 1:39 pm.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 1:45 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ainmana
Unfortunately my friend doesn't have money for a lawyer, she was hoping to go to court and just tell the truth, plead guilty for uttering a profanity and not-guilty for " failure to produce ID" since she didn't have one on her. Also she was under great stress at the time due to a death in the family and having lost her job--would the judge take that into consideration?
Hi:

I don't know New York law, but this seems to something called a "criminal" offense. One is entitled to an attorney at no expense to the defendant. Quite often, PD's know the immigration consequences.

I think your friend could afford a FREE attorney, no?
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 1:55 pm
Just Joined

Yes, you are right. Where does one find these free lawyers, at the courthouse?
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 10:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute

We don't have ID's yet, but refusing to give your name to a police officer can lead to trouble in the UK as well. This guy was pepper sprayed and now has a conviction for resisting a police officer.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 12:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Well I don't seem to know US law - are you required to produce an ID whenever a police officer asks?

I'd almost always have one on me I suppose, as I drive and thus have a drivers licence, so I've never really thought about it.

But do we have a legal requirement to carry ID on us wherever we go?
Old Sep 4th 2008, 12:09 am
BE Enthusiast

pejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond repute

The land of the free....
Old Sep 4th 2008, 12:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pejpm1
The land of the free....
Yeah, yeah - and did you see the story from the UK one post above? Things happen everywhere.

I don't know of any mandatory ID carrying here - if there is one, someone will post it I'm sure. I am surprised if there is, as I am certainly unaware of it.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 12:21 am
Guttural Brumerican

Titchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
Well I don't seem to know US law - are you required to produce an ID whenever a police officer asks?

I'd almost always have one on me I suppose, as I drive and thus have a drivers licence, so I've never really thought about it.

But do we have a legal requirement to carry ID on us wherever we go?
Permanent residents do - supposed to carry Green card everywhere. Didn't think it was a requirement for US Citizens though?

REAL-ID will be here soon enough anyway!
Old Sep 4th 2008, 12:22 am
Guttural Brumerican

Titchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, yeah - and did you see the story from the UK one post above? Things happen everywhere.

I don't know of any mandatory ID carrying here - if there is one, someone will post it I'm sure. I am surprised if there is, as I am certainly unaware of it.
Of course, but the UK doesn't brand itself as the land of the free
Old Sep 4th 2008, 12:25 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Titchski
...REAL-ID will be here soon enough anyway!
Yeah, and then we'll all be able to be someone else by downloading a little RFID hack created by some kid in Russia and distributed for free for the good of ID thieves the world over!
Old Sep 4th 2008, 12:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Permanent residents do - supposed to carry Green card everywhere. Didn't think it was a requirement for US Citizens though?

REAL-ID will be here soon enough anyway!
Of course, but the UK doesn't brand itself as the land of the free
I am aware of that with Green cards - although I think it's fair enough, for a country to be able to identify those who are here and are not citizens (any country, not just us). Of course, I suspect hardly an PRs do so - for fear of losing the bloody thing

I'm not aware of any requirement for US citizens though...

Ahhhh - she wasn't a citizen, so was supposed to be carrying her ID, that's the thing apparently... Now it makes more sense.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 12:27 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know of any mandatory ID carrying here...
There is no mandatory ID requirement for USCs, but law enforcement officers simply don't like it when you challenge their authority. So, they suddenly turn from Uncle Fluffy to Mr. Pit Bull when questioning you. In the end, a USC does not have to carry ID... but unless you've got a really thick skin or have many hours to waste, it's probably just easier to give an officer your name.

Remember... you can always sue later on!

Ian
Old Sep 4th 2008, 12:43 am
Guttural Brumerican

Originally Posted by dbj1000
Yeah, and then we'll all be able to be someone else by downloading a little RFID hack created by some kid in Russia and distributed for free for the good of ID thieves the world over!
I'm going to request to be 6' 5", full head of flowing hair and a 6 pack.

That'll confuse the crap out of the plod when they scan me

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.