Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Received Welcome to America letter!

Wikiposts

Received Welcome to America letter!

Old Jul 19th 2005, 8:03 am
Expat Aussie

Location: Gainesville, VA, USA / Alice Springs, NT, Australia
AussieSteve has a brilliant futureAussieSteve has a brilliant futureAussieSteve has a brilliant futureAussieSteve has a brilliant futureAussieSteve has a brilliant futureAussieSteve has a brilliant future
Default Re: Received Welcome to America letter!

Originally Posted by shepslady
How misleading that statement is....do you really think we are all that stupid. Voting can only be legal after one has taken citizenship & not before then!!
Let me first say that I also think that 'Retire to Italy' is from a totally different solar system and everything she has ever written is total doo-doo.

However, it would appear that LPRs are allowed to vote in *some* elections. RTI doesn't specify exactly what elections she is talking about, but here is some info from the USCIS:

"One of the most important privileges of democracy in the United States of America is the right to participate in choosing elected officials through voting. As a Permanent Resident you can only vote in local and state elections that do not require you to be a US citizen. It is very important that you do not vote in national, state or local elections that require a voter to be a US citizen when you are not a US citizen. There are criminal penalties for voting when you are not a US citizen and it is a requirement for voting. You can be removed (deported) from the US if you vote in elections limited to US citizens."

I don't know how many of those elections (if any) are open to LPRs, but this statement by the USCIS seems to suggest that there must be some?

OK, so RTI's blanket statement that "...when you receive your green card as we call ~ YOU WILL be entitle to vote in our American elections..." although not totally false, *is* dangerously misleading.

The URL, for those interested, is: http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/PermRes.htm

Cheers,
Steve.
Old Jul 19th 2005, 8:20 am
Just Joined

TexasStew is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Maggs
Hi

My son and I today received our Welcome to America letter just 4 weeks after out IR1 interview! I thought it would be a proper letter but it looks just like the other NOA's we received. Still no green card yet, the letter says it will take around 3 more weeks. Nice to get an official welcome though!

Maggie
Fantastic! Congratulations, Maggie.

My wife (American) and I (British bloke) got our marriage certificate returned to us from the county clerk the other day, signed and official.

After a bit of confusion over the seemingly random assortment of forms shoved into an envelope by the local Immigration office, we downloaded them from the excellent uscis.gov website, and I'm just starting to fill them in.

When I'm in your position, I'm sure I'll be just as excited.

Congratulations once again!
Old Jul 19th 2005, 9:14 am
L D Jones

Retire to Italy wrote:
    > hello
    >
    > Many congratulations on your welcome to this great land.
    >
    > ALso I must often remind my clients and would like to share the good
    > news here with all ~ when you receive your green card as we call ~ YOU
    > WILL be entitle to vote in our American elections so register

Not all elections <http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/PermRes.htm#voting>

Old Jul 19th 2005, 10:36 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Retire to Italy
I am always amazed at how many fail to do this on receipt of the green card.
Your 8 year old must be very proud of you! You seem to know so much!

Ian
Old Jul 19th 2005, 11:11 am
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on the letter. I'm five weeks on and no sign of mine. Rumour has it, Boston forgot to file my I89 so I'm Infopassing.
Old Jul 19th 2005, 12:42 pm
Mummy and baby 1982

Maggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sibs

Sorry to hear that. I know how frustrating all this can get. Arranging our medical in London was quite the fiasco especially as it should have been Birmingham! The medical itself went very smooth which was a relief. I don't think Mr Pink got his letter either. It's strange how some do and some don't!

Maggie

Originally Posted by sibsie
Congrats on the letter. I'm five weeks on and no sign of mine. Rumour has it, Boston forgot to file my I89 so I'm Infopassing.
Old Jul 19th 2005, 12:45 pm
Mummy and baby 1982

Maggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond repute

Hi again

Thanks again to everyone who wished us well. It is an exciting time and I wish the same to those who are almost there as well as those just starting out.

Also.... luckily for me I'm not so stupid to think I can vote anytime soon!

Maggie