Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Received interview letter for AOS

Wikiposts

Received interview letter for AOS

Old May 25th 2018, 2:02 am
BE Enthusiast

BigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Received interview letter for AOS

So we got our interview letter in the mail yesterday and I have a couple of questions for our interview on 26th June.

1) It states that you must bring a filled out I-864 and supporting evidence, unless previously submitted. Obviously since we last submitted a new tax year has passed. I know we need new tax transcripts for the tax year of 2017, but do we also need an entirely new filled in I-864?
2) As a follow on question to that, we're currently using my father in law as a joint sponsor since my spouse doesn't make enough to sponsor me - he's totally OK with it, but I was wondering if, since I now legally work, we can use my income to get him off the hook? I ask this because I read (https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/...i-864instr.pdf) page 12, about half way down.
Old May 25th 2018, 2:09 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Received interview letter for AOS

Originally Posted by BigBoss1984
So we got our interview letter in the mail yesterday and I have a couple of questions for our interview on 26th June.

1) It states that you must bring a filled out I-864 and supporting evidence, unless previously submitted. Obviously since we last submitted a new tax year has passed. I know we need new tax transcripts for the tax year of 2017, but do we also need an entirely new filled in I-864?
2) As a follow on question to that, we're currently using my father in law as a joint sponsor since my spouse doesn't make enough to sponsor me - he's totally OK with it, but I was wondering if, since I now legally work, we can use my income to get him off the hook? I ask this because I read (https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/...i-864instr.pdf) page 12, about half way down.
YES!
Your income can be included on the I-864 and you can let your father-in-law off the hook. Complete a new I-864, include the current tax return, pay slips, banking statements, letter from HR indicating your work is full time, type of position and yearly salary, etc.

If you wish, you can also bring the last tax return from your father in law to update his I-864 just to be on the safe side. Also remember if you are not using him as a joint sponsor, to ask for his I-864 back.

Also bring any new evidence you have of your marriage, i.e. employment statements showing your wife on your healthcare plan, or life insurance policy, as emergency contact, etc.
Old May 25th 2018, 2:34 am
BE Enthusiast

BigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
YES!
Your income can be included on the I-864 and you can let your father-in-law off the hook. Complete a new I-864, include the current tax return, pay slips, banking statements, letter from HR indicating your work is full time, type of position and yearly salary, etc.

If you wish, you can also bring the last tax return from your father in law to update his I-864 just to be on the safe side. Also remember if you are not using him as a joint sponsor, to ask for his I-864 back.

Also bring any new evidence you have of your marriage, i.e. employment statements showing your wife on your healthcare plan, or life insurance policy, as emergency contact, etc.
Awesome!

What if I was a contractor? My company is actually right now changing me to a full time employee through a payroll service here, but up to now I've sent them monthly invoices. Can I take the invoices?
Old May 25th 2018, 2:54 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

What did you use on your tax return? Did you file as self-employed with the required schedules, etc.?
Old May 25th 2018, 2:55 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Awesome!

What if I was a contractor? My company is actually right now changing me to a full time employee through a payroll service here, but up to now I've sent them monthly invoices. Can I take the invoices?
being a contractor means you are self employed and will be trickier to use your income on the I-864. You need a way to show what your profit and losses are for the business, because only your profit can be used in the I-864.

if you will be a full time employee in the company by the time of your interview, that would be best.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; May 25th 2018 at 4:17 am.
Old May 25th 2018, 3:34 am
BE Enthusiast

What did you use on your tax return? Did you file as self-employed with the required schedules, etc.?
Yeah I filed as Self Employed, I had an Accountant do it to be extra safe.
Old May 25th 2018, 3:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Noorah101
being a contractor means you ate self employed and will be trickier to use your income on the I-864. You need a way to show what your profit and losses are for the business, because only your profit can be used in the I-864.

if you will be a full time employee in the company by the time of your interview, that would be best.

Rene
I'm confident I will be an employee by the time of my interview - the only concern for now is the pay stubs. I could get a HR letter no problem, but the pay stubs might be pushing it since I likely will have just started as an employee.
Old May 25th 2018, 3:56 am
Concierge

I'm confident I will be an employee by the time of my interview - the only concern for now is the pay stubs. I could get a HR letter no problem, but the pay stubs might be pushing it since I likely will have just started as an employee.
A letter stating your annual compensation will suffice. You can bring along the invoices you send them monthly to support your tax return.
Old May 25th 2018, 3:56 am
BE Enthusiast

A letter stating your annual compensation will suffice. You can bring along the invoices you send them monthly to support your tax return.
Perfect! Thank you!

So excited to finally be done with this AOS process!