Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Received I512 card today...what is it exactly?

Received I512 card today...what is it exactly?

Old Jan 26th 2013, 10:58 pm
Dallas

Meryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of light
Default Received I512 card today...what is it exactly?

Kind of took me by surprise to be honest as I wasn't expecting to hear anything till I got my greencard. From what I can tell it allows me to leave the USA if I need to but I'm a bit confused as to what other benefits it has.....
Old Jan 26th 2013, 11:22 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Received I512 card today...what is it exactly?

Originally Posted by Meryl
From what I can tell it allows me to leave the USA if I need to but I'm a bit confused as to what other benefits it has.....
You can leave the US at any time you want - but the I-512 (known as Advance Parole) allows you to leave the US and return without abandoning your adjustment of status process. It has only that one benefit... but it's a biggie!

Ian
Old Jan 26th 2013, 11:39 pm
Dallas

Meryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of light

More or less what I thought, thanks
Old Jan 28th 2013, 1:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

Does the I-512 come after biometrics?

Typically how soon might it come after receipt of application (we have biometrics appointment in early Feb)?
Old Jan 28th 2013, 3:41 pm
Dallas

I had my biometrics on dec 27th and got my card at the weekend there
Old Jan 28th 2013, 6:30 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

You applied for it - and you don't know why?

Regards, JEff

Kind of took me by surprise to be honest as I wasn't expecting to hear anything till I got my greencard. From what I can tell it allows me to leave the USA if I need to but I'm a bit confused as to what other benefits it has.....
Old Jan 28th 2013, 6:33 pm
Dallas

I just didn't expect anything till I got my greencard that's all
Old Jan 29th 2013, 12:30 am
Forum Regular

AddyLaddy has a spectacular aura aboutAddyLaddy has a spectacular aura aboutAddyLaddy has a spectacular aura about

I am a bit confused about the purpose of AP too. My lawyer applied for it, although my H-1B is valid until Oct 2013.
I was out of the country when it was issued, but they still let me back in on my H-1B.

So I assume it is only necessary once my H-1B expires?
But hopefully I'll have my GC by then.
Old Jan 29th 2013, 12:48 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AddyLaddy
I am a bit confused about the purpose of AP too. My lawyer applied for it, although my H-1B is valid until Oct 2013.
I was out of the country when it was issued, but they still let me back in on my H-1B.

So I assume it is only necessary once my H-1B expires?
But hopefully I'll have my GC by then.
AP allows someone to leave and return to the USA while the AOS is processing. If you have a valid visa and are still working for the sponsoring company, you don't "need" AP, but since it's free to file, it's worth it, on the off chance something happens to your job while you're waiting on AOS.

Rene
Old Jan 29th 2013, 12:49 am
Dallas

Does the card allow you to change jobs?
Old Jan 29th 2013, 12:50 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Does the card allow you to change jobs?
The AP card does not. The EAD (employment authorization document) card does. That said, I don't think the sponsoring company will be happy about you changing jobs after they've started the AOS process for you.

Rene
Old Jan 29th 2013, 12:51 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

If I understand AP correctly, it is to allow re entry to US once adjustment of status is underway.

I would think, but don't know, that if your current visa is still valid for multi-entry, AP is redundant.

Some visas, like mine (K1) are single entry, and AP allows for the eventuality of further entries if neccesary, before PR (green card) is granted.

edit: And what Rene said
Old Jan 29th 2013, 2:06 am
BE Enthusiast

henryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
The AP card does not. The EAD (employment authorization document) card does. That said, I don't think the sponsoring company will be happy about you changing jobs after they've started the AOS process for you.

Rene
Usually these days the EAD and AP are the same card. It looks a bit like this: http://www.uscis.gov/uscis/images/na...back-qanda.jpg

Employment-based adjustment applicants should be wary of changing jobs before they become LPRs since as Rene suggested, the sponsoring employer may not be happy about it and may withdraw their sponsorship, leaving the applicant S.O.L. If they really want to do it, they should research "AC21 portability" and should probably consult an immigration attorney.
Old Jan 29th 2013, 2:08 am
Dallas

I really have no intention of changing jobs, curiosity just got the better of me!
Old Jan 29th 2013, 2:10 am
BE Enthusiast

henryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RICH
If I understand AP correctly, it is to allow re entry to US once adjustment of status is underway.

I would think, but don't know, that if your current visa is still valid for multi-entry, AP is redundant.
Only if that visa is in a dual-intent category and one is still fully compliant with the requirements to maintain status for that category. e.g. the holder of an F-1 student multiple-entry visa who is applying for adjustment of status should not travel abroad without AP, because the F-1 is strictly a nonimmigrant visa (not dual-intent). Another example: H-1B is dual-intent and an H-1B holder applying for adjustment of status may travel without AP, but not if they have left their job.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.