Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Rearranging Visa Interview

Wikiposts

Rearranging Visa Interview

Old Jan 1st 2013, 5:40 am
Forum Regular

dickiederson will become famous soon enoughdickiederson will become famous soon enough
Default Rearranging Visa Interview

Hi guys,

My wife had her email today from the visa service confirming the date for our interview at the London Embassy for her (our!) E1a Green Card Card application.

Rather typically the date they've given us is when we're both in the middle of a pretty big production job.

It does say that the interview can be re arranged but we're both a little worried that doing that might rock the boat and produce a black mark on our file...

Does anyone have any experience of this?

It's all getting very exciting and a bit scary now...especially after seeing the cost of the medical... Does £800 each sound about right?! Blimey! Hopefully it's all going towards the fiscal cliff!!

Ta!

Rich
Old Jan 1st 2013, 5:50 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rearranging Visa Interview

All Medicals for US visas are conducted by the Knightbridge Drs, I believe their fee is around £270 for non0immigrant vias per person, with extras for any required vacs etc. £800 sounds a little steep but if you required vacs is well within the normal price.
Old Jan 1st 2013, 7:50 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dickiederson

It does say that the interview can be re arranged but we're both a little worried that doing that might rock the boat and produce a black mark on our file...

Rich
It wil not count against you if you change the date. However how long before your scheduled date. The concern is that your request to change the date doesn't get dealt with until after the current date. Call the helpline and ask to change the date and for the code to send an email to do so. But be prepared to attend on the original date if you have not had confirmation of the change before then. What you must avoid is failing to attended on the scheduled date, if the Embassy hasn't processed your change request.
Old Jan 1st 2013, 8:45 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys,

My wife had her email today from the visa service confirming the date for our interview at the London Embassy for her (our!) E1a Green Card Card application.
Do you mean an EB-1A Immigrant Visa?

Rescheduling always carries a risk of delay, the file could be lost, request not processed properly and file closed, etc.
Usually, you should make every effort to attend at the time shown.
Old Jan 1st 2013, 9:06 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Rather typically the date they've given us is when we're both in the middle of a pretty big production job.
You've applied for a US immigration benefit and, at your request, an interview has been arranged. I suggest you alter your schedule and attend the interview.

Ian
Old Jan 1st 2013, 12:03 pm
Forum Regular

dickiederson will become famous soon enoughdickiederson will become famous soon enough

Thanks for such speedy responses chaps, especially 'Mr sanctimonious...'!

This forum is great and I hope to be a better contributor in time...

I'd love to know if anyone has any actual experience of re-arranging an interview, successfully or otherwise... I guess there's a difference between files being 'lost' and files being LOST and files being put into an 'awkward' pile.

It might have seemed a bit flippant when I said we have a 'Production job' at a crucial time, which the interview has been scheduled to coincide with. The longer version is that we are hoping to move to the USA as 'Aliens of extraordinary ability' in the entertainments field.

This makes my British stomach turn as much as you but it is the official definition applied...!

So next month we begin shooting our first feature film. We are producing this movie on the Isle of Man and it is the culmination of a long preparation and a lot of money and is the hardest thing either of us have ever attempted. If anyone has working in production you will know that can be full on warfare...!

We are sure that arriving in the US with a feature film already in post production will stand us in good stead!

So it would be possible for us to make the interview...but it could interfere with and jeopardise a major career move. We're not taking this lightly...

So does anyone have anyone have any actual experience of re-arranging the interview?

Oh and yes it is an EB-1A immigrant visa interview... That sounds nasty haha, I think its from living in the UK!

Thanks.... Ian I'd love to get some etiquette advice from you when we make it over there, I'm a bit worried about being too polite...
Old Jan 1st 2013, 12:11 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

So does anyone have anyone have any actual experience of re-arranging the interview?
I don't have direct experience with the UK, but you have a two choices:

1. Attend the scheduled interview date (I recommend this one, to be on the safest side).

2. Email London and let them know you can't make the scheduled date, and can you please have another date (give them a time frame that works best for you, and hope they accommodate).

Be aware that with Option 2, you risk not having the email get through to the right person who needs to know, before your interview date, and that if they expect you to show up and you don't, it's a "no-show" and your visa will be denied.

Also keep in mind that if your email does get to the right person, and London reschedules a new interview date, it may or may not fall at a good time again. You also don't know how much longer it will take to get a new date...it could be for just a few days later, or it could be a few months later.

The choice is yours.

Rene
Old Mar 15th 2013, 6:36 am
Forum Regular

UPDATE!

We managed to rearrange our interview without much stress... Went for our medical groping 5 days before (£530 for both of us) and finally had our interview this morning...

It was pretty scary today but we were approved!!

Thanks very much to all who took the time to reply, even the grumpy ones...!

Now the hard part... Up rooting and moving! EXCITED!!!!
Old Mar 15th 2013, 7:35 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations!

Rene