Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Reapplication for a Green Card....now with kids..

Reapplication for a Green Card....now with kids..

Old Apr 10th 2008, 2:21 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Reapplication for a Green Card....now with kids..

Originally Posted by minkoak
Can't find the tax returns. Will have to wait for him to get back from work this evening.
but I was refused (and re-reading this for the first time in 7 years it makes sense now) because as an applicant claiming immediate relative status under section 201(b) I was not eligible for the benefits of Section 245 of the Act, unless I was a beneficiary of a valid unexpired visa petition.

I claimed Medicare (Medicaid) when I suffered a miscarriage. Which everyone I talked to said I was perfectly entitled to - and I talked to a lot of people!!

oh dear. It doesn't look good, does it..???
Hi:

Oh, you applied in the United States for the first time -- gave up and left. I assume you are looking at the denial of the ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS. Your spouse should have gotten a separate denial of the VISA PETITION. The decision on the adjustment is not about you, it simply states that your husband's visa petition was not approved.

Was there a technical error in the marriage making it legally invalid [e.g. an undissolved prior marriage]? Or did they doubt you were really a married couple?

Your prior posts suggested reasons other than a question about the validity of your marriage.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 2:29 am
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
it simply states that your husband's visa petition was not approved.
What I was thinking is maybe they forgot to file it at all. Could that be the case?
Old Apr 10th 2008, 3:18 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HunterGreen
What I was thinking is maybe they forgot to file it at all. Could that be the case?
I was thinking if they filed for AOS and then left the USA before it was adjudicated, wouldn't her AOS be denied? She said they left the USA, *then* got a denial letter.

Rene
Old Apr 10th 2008, 3:25 am
Forum Regular

minkoak is just really niceminkoak is just really niceminkoak is just really niceminkoak is just really niceminkoak is just really niceminkoak is just really niceminkoak is just really niceminkoak is just really nice

My head is mashed too......!!

I am afraid I need to take a raincheck on all of this and talk to my husband. I remember having an interview but I can't remember when it was in relation to my case.........

I have been looking through old boxes trying to find all the paperwork. I have found the letter telling me what to bring to my interview - but not the date of my interview.

Thanks to everyone and sorry I have mashed heads and made you all sit and muddle through my ramblings..............
Old Apr 10th 2008, 3:28 am
Forum Regular

minkoak is just really niceminkoak is just really niceminkoak is just really niceminkoak is just really niceminkoak is just really niceminkoak is just really niceminkoak is just really niceminkoak is just really nice

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I was thinking if they filed for AOS and then left the USA before it was adjudicated, wouldn't her AOS be denied? She said they left the USA, *then* got a denial letter.

Rene
I got the denial letter after I left but only because I had a friend check my postal box and forward any letters in there - but the actual letter was written and sent before I had left. They didn't know I was leaving.
It was kind of an emotional time for me - and suddenly I needed to be back amongst family - so it was a bit of a rushed decision.

I am getting involved again! This place is addictive and it is so great that people take the time to respond.

Thanks again to one and all!
Old Apr 10th 2008, 3:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

We're happy to help.....actually, I can't help much, but am happy to be a supporter
Old Apr 10th 2008, 3:29 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by minkoak
My head is mashed too......!!

I am afraid I need to take a raincheck on all of this and talk to my husband. I remember having an interview but I can't remember when it was in relation to my case.........

I have been looking through old boxes trying to find all the paperwork. I have found the letter telling me what to bring to my interview - but not the date of my interview.

Thanks to everyone and sorry I have mashed heads and made you all sit and muddle through my ramblings..............
I feel the interview is likely to be the clue to what happened re. your denial of AOS.

Try to remember exactly what happened during the interview. What questions were you asked, what evidence did you show, what where you told at the end........ etc etc.

Basically you need to establish what went wrong so you don't make the same mistakes again.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 3:40 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
I feel the interview is likely to be the clue to what happened re. your denial of AOS.

Try to remember exactly what happened during the interview. What questions were you asked, what evidence did you show, what where you told at the end........ etc etc.

Basically you need to establish what went wrong so you don't make the same mistakes again.
I agree with Elvira. It would be helpful to know how the interview ended up, and what was said. Perhaps you were supposed to have returned more information to them, but left before you could do that. (or something along those lines). Also try to find the exact code that was written on the denial letter, that would also be helpful.

Rene
Old Apr 10th 2008, 4:05 am
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

And next time keep better copies of your paperwork!
Old Apr 10th 2008, 4:11 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I agree with Elvira. It would be helpful to know how the interview ended up, and what was said. Perhaps you were supposed to have returned more information to them, but left before you could do that. (or something along those lines). Also try to find the exact code that was written on the denial letter, that would also be helpful.

Rene
Hi Rene:

The "code" is written on CONSULAR denials -- which is usually a scribbled note on a form such as "212(a)(C)(6) fraud on 4/15/1987 at LAX" or some such. The adjustment denials are much more detailed -- I have a case currently in litigation involving the denial I just quoted from the State Department. The actual notice given to the alien was "212(a)(6)(C) fraud at POE 1987"

The adjustment denial was lot more specific -- rather than just saying the above, it elaborated: "State Department records specifically show you committed fraud at a port of entry on June 22, 1987 in that you FALSELY stated you were coming to see your boyfriend when in fact, you were returning to your home and job of three years."

BTW, inasmuch as client had made an entry in Miami on June 22, 1987 and had made no entry at LAX in April 1987 -- we initially ignored the fact that records actually showed an allegation of fraud in LAX 2 months earlier. Once we got the records from Freedom of Information Act, we sued. [BTW, on FOIA requests now, you get a CD with multiple copies of pages with extensive "white out" or black marker claiming exemptions for anything relevant, but I digress.]

Oh, FYI, the consulate was in a city called "London" and my client is a citizen of a country called "Great Britain." We are unable to figure out what kind of fraud my client committed. The initial finding is silent, and there is nothing to support a finding that she didn't have a boyfriend in Los Angeles. [Perhaps the female Japanese-American ConOff believed that old slander regarding the sexuality of English women. We simply don't know.]
Old Apr 10th 2008, 5:00 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Rene:

The "code" is written on CONSULAR denials -- which is usually a scribbled note on a form such as "212(a)(C)(6) fraud on 4/15/1987 at LAX" or some such. The adjustment denials are much more detailed -- I have a case currently in litigation involving the denial I just quoted from the State Department. The actual notice given to the alien was "212(a)(6)(C) fraud at POE 1987"

The adjustment denial was lot more specific -- rather than just saying the above, it elaborated: "State Department records specifically show you committed fraud at a port of entry on June 22, 1987 in that you FALSELY stated you were coming to see your boyfriend when in fact, you were returning to your home and job of three years."

BTW, inasmuch as client had made an entry in Miami on June 22, 1987 and had made no entry at LAX in April 1987 -- we initially ignored the fact that records actually showed an allegation of fraud in LAX 2 months earlier. Once we got the records from Freedom of Information Act, we sued. [BTW, on FOIA requests now, you get a CD with multiple copies of pages with extensive "white out" or black marker claiming exemptions for anything relevant, but I digress.]

Oh, FYI, the consulate was in a city called "London" and my client is a citizen of a country called "Great Britain." We are unable to figure out what kind of fraud my client committed. The initial finding is silent, and there is nothing to support a finding that she didn't have a boyfriend in Los Angeles. [Perhaps the female Japanese-American ConOff believed that old slander regarding the sexuality of English women. We simply don't know.]
Crickey - unravelling all this is almost as much fun as the Guardian crossword!
Old Apr 10th 2008, 7:20 am
Account Closed

Crickey - unravelling all this is almost as much fun as the Guardian crossword!
Hi:

I have continuously objected to INS/DHS behavior. A DHS attorney stated in Immigration Court that "I don't care..." The one time we were in District Court, I had worked out a settlement with the Assistant US Attorney with the cooperation of Regional Counsel's office. The INS then violated the agreement to settle the suit, but in doing so, rendered the suit moot. The AUSA in question is a true mensch and I asked him "what the Hell happened? We had a deal." His response was to apologize and "My client lied to me."

My client has been accused of fraud and we still don't know what it was! However, the Government thinks it just fine that they can lie through the teeth and even take offense that we have the audacity to object. But then they "don't care" to repeat their own words.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 7:27 am
Homebody

Hi:

I have continuously objected to INS/DHS behavior. A DHS attorney stated in Immigration Court that "I don't care..." The one time we were in District Court, I had worked out a settlement with the Assistant US Attorney with the cooperation of Regional Counsel's office. The INS then violated the agreement to settle the suit, but in doing so, rendered the suit moot. The AUSA in question is a true mensch and I asked him "what the Hell happened? We had a deal." His response was to apologize and "My client lied to me."

My client has been accused of fraud and we still don't know what it was! However, the Government thinks it just fine that they can lie through the teeth and even take offense that we have the audacity to object. But then they "don't care" to repeat their own words.
I wonder what Kafka would make of all this...
Old Apr 10th 2008, 9:47 am
Account Closed

I wonder what Kafka would make of all this...
It pays to remember that Kafka was a lawyer.